StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am preparing a 15,000 mile trip to S. America set to start in Feb 2009 (will be filming in orphanages and such for documentary). I own 2002 DL1000 with 45,000 miles on it. I have owned it for one year. I did full maintenance myself last year, changed all fluids (except trainy) and air filter (not fuel filter). Also, checked valve adjustment and was fine. Replaced rear brakes, replaced front wheel (some big bends in rim), two new Metzler Tourance tires, fitted with Happy Trails Aluminum Panniers and big huge top box, am about to replace rear shock with either Hagon or rebuild the stock by Sasquatch (both about $450).

What else should I do?
Front shock spring replacement? (how cheap can I still get quality for)
Anything else you guys can think of?
I don't plan on taking extra tire. Thinking I may take extra oil filter, and perhaps a few small things for it that may break.

TX

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
Replace all wheel bearings, chain/sprockets.....and add a superbrace to your front forks. Did you change your coolant? You will need more than 1 extra oil filter, and be sure to take "really good" oil with you. Having a spare air filter also might not be a bad idea. Best of luck with your adventure!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The tranny is the engine oil on a wet clutch bike so dont sweat that. If you are riding 15k miles you might want to have 2 filters for the trip and change 5k or slightly less. Go with a K&N air filter and you can clean it on the road and re-oil it so you dont need a spare.

Also if you have not done so yet look at changing out the clutch slave cylnder as you are right at the point they begin to leak. The part is about 60 bucks US if you order it in. It is about the size of a small apple and takes about 30 minutes to swap out. the older one, like on a 2002 is slightly different then the replacement one which comes with an extra seal inside but it is a direct replacement. We did a 10.5k trip this summer to Alaska and other then the clutch slave cyl we I had no issues. You might want to swap to a one tooth smaller front sprocket. Since it would be wise to do new chain and sprockets before you trip go ahead and get it then. Get a good chain and sprocket combo and it should last you the whole trip. If you use a master link style chain you might want to get a few extra master links as well.

Also, If I were you I would replace the fuel filter before going. It is not a hard task but the part is expensive and you will not find one on the road.

I hope you find the advice helpful.

Coop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys

I think I'll get fuel filter, KN air filter, clutch slave cylinder and front sprocket. I changed rear sprocket and chain 6 months ago. I'm also gonna have Sasquatch refit the rear shock and maybe maintain the front ones. But that's about it sounds like.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe I'll run into you! I'm shipping to Santiago and riding home beginning Jan 16th.

I'm taking a chain and sprockets, three oil filters (I have NO idea how far I'm going), an air filter, a change of spark plugs, and plenty of duct tape. I'm not taking fluids since you can buy them anywhere and bottles tend to leak when you're on bumpy roads.

As for tools, do a service on your bike, then take the tools you used. You'll need them again. For the front sprocket, just find a garage (Taller Mechanico) and they'll have an impact wrench. Do take the socket you'll need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts