StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm tearing into the wee for some needed maintenance. I bought a new air filter ahead of time, and am glad I did!

Just cause I tried to blow out the old one per the service manual, and it didn't hardly work at all!

Here are some pics for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you go off road, or are your 14,000 miles mostly on highway? I'm curious, because I'm coming up on 14,000 miles on my new-to-me '07 650, and haven't checked it yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
Same question for me. I am at 17K street riding and I am starting to think it is overdue.

Do you go off road, or are your 14,000 miles mostly on highway? I'm curious, because I'm coming up on 14,000 miles on my new-to-me '07 650, and haven't checked it yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks
My riding, and the PO, was about 95% road. Mostly commuting for me. The PO did some gravel roads one day.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh. And I will add that it was pretty easy to get to the filter, about 30 minutes of disassembly of the cowling, then take off the fuel tank. Time consuming but easy.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well I am definitely due then, because I ride on the street but the bike does see as much gravel as I can find.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went 27k on my stocker, mostly street but blew it out 2 times previous. Just upgraded to a K&N, paid about $40.00 or so for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just did mine tonight. 7,000 miles and lots of bugs in the filter, moderate dirt. My notes show the last time was 5,000 miles and it was dirty, looks like 5-7 K is about the service interval. I ride all highway miles.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Looks about normal to me. How does the backside look? Any fine dust in the airbox? If not, I would extend my interval a little, only because of the hassle factor removing the filter. Its a filter, it collects dirt.

I use about a 15,000 mile interval on my changes.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only trust K&N if you clean oil it really frequently

Just vac and back blow the stocker
K&n's Are a pain in my book. I have used them before, but it's a hassle to clean them, wait for them to dry, and then re-oil. Good filters though.

I tried to vacuum and blow out the stock I e and it was worthless. You couldn't even tell anything was done to it!! I will probably just replace with stock every 10-15k or so. Getting to the filter is pretty easy in my book.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
That looks like an average dirty air filter. I'm not in favor of blowing the filter out with compressed air. As you saw, it does little good, and may blow holes in the filter that are too small to see but large enough for dirt to pass.

HiFlo makes a stock-type replacement filter. Note that they have catalog listings for two. The later years filter is the same thing plus the gasket, about $4 more. Re-use your old gasket otherwise.

K&N and BMC make the oiled cotton gauze air filters, and Pipercross makes an oiled foam filter. I don't think any of these are an advantage except maybe in really dusty conditions where they can be cleaned and re-oiled frequently rather than buying replacements. As said in the posting above, cleaning and re-oiling can be a time consuming mess. My one experience with a K&N filter in a car showed it passing dirt that the stock filter never passed. Others have different experiences.

I tried one filter with the auto air filter section glued in, but due to the height of the pleats it seemed to jam into the filter housing and choke off air flow.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Oh. And I will add that it was pretty easy to get to the filter, about 30 minutes of disassembly of the cowling, then take off the fuel tank. Time consuming but easy.
the cowling can come off in one piece you know...

:headbang:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even easier ... you can take the tank off without removing the cowling. A second set of hands helps but isn't necessary if you go slow and take your time.

Steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stock vs K&N

I ride a lot of desert off road. The worst conditions you can have for an air filter. I ride motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's and trucks. You can not beat the K&N. I used a Suzuki stock filter in an ATV for the break in period and lost the motor. TH elittle bit of work is woth the effort. You only need to do it once a year but I do it more frequently with every oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Even easier ... you can take the tank off without removing the cowling. A second set of hands helps but isn't necessary if you go slow and take your time.

Steve
I just use zip ties attached to the grips to pull out and hold the cowling. Real easy. After 25,000 miles the filter had 3 bees and a bit of dust to tap out. A flashlight shone right through very nicely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts