StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited about getting my two side saddlebags for $199 when I bought my new vStrom650. Then, AFTER agreeing on the OTD price for everything, the dealer revealed that he "forgot" to include the 1.5 hours of labor (at $95 per hour) that Suzuki charged the dealership for installing the frame for the saddlebags. Would you please explain how the installation could possibly take that long. Also, how is it reasonable to announce the price of $199, without making the "labor" charge clear? Thanks for your very anticipated answer. Scott

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was excited about getting my two side saddlebags for $199 when I bought my new vStrom650. Then, AFTER agreeing on the OTD price for everything, the dealer revealed that he "forgot" to include the 1.5 hours of labor (at $95 per hour) that Suzuki charged the dealership for installing the frame for the saddlebags. Would you please explain how the installation could possibly take that long. Also, how is it reasonable to announce the price of $199, without making the "labor" charge clear? Thanks for your very anticipated answer. Scott
If you actually accepted an offer made by them, and you thus have a contract, I would hold them to it. If you have a written contract, then no discussion is necessary. If you merely have a verbal contract and they refuse to honor it, I would shop elsewhere. And yes, that seems like a ridiculous labor charge to me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you actually accepted an offer made by them, and you thus have a contract, I would hold them to it. If you have a written contract, then no discussion is necessary. If you merely have a verbal contract and they refuse to honor it, I would shop elsewhere. And yes, that seems like a ridiculous labor charge to me.
X2, no question. That's a typical dealer trick to pull when they think they can get away with it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have taken even you an hour and a half if it was your very first time using a set of sockets!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did they indicate that installation was included on your invoice? If not, I wouldn't necessarily assume that accessory prices include install charges.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Notice to suzuki

The bottom line is weather the dealer told the truth, of if the dealer lied. Suzuki either took 1.5 hours to install the frame, or they didn't. If they did, I'm concerned about everything else they do, because it couldn't take a competent person 15 minutes... and I don't want to ride a motorcycle built by incompetent people. If they didn't take 1.5 hours, there are REALLY dishonest people out there.

HEY SUZUKI! Contact me and make this right before I produce a video about it and post it to YouTube!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
If they did, I'm concerned about everything else they do, because it couldn't take a competent person 15 minutes... and I don't want to ride a motorcycle built by incompetent people.
If its so easy........................................

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The Givi kit I installed on my Vee was a PITA! Nothing lined up right, the cheesy bolts they provided had to be replaced, etc. I recall having to bend the thing pretty hard to line up the back end connections.

Not commenting on the deal itself, but 1.5 hours isn't completely outrageous IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Givi kit I installed on my Vee was a PITA! Nothing lined up right, the cheesy bolts they provided had to be replaced, etc. I recall having to bend the thing pretty hard to line up the back end connections.

Not commenting on the deal itself, but 1.5 hours isn't completely outrageous IMO.
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. I installed a pair of moto-something crash bars, and they were a breeze. So I figured that everything else would be.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
took me longer to install my SW Motech pannier racks

took me longer to install my SW Motech pannier racks - so 1.5 hours is reasonable

·
Registered
118 Posts
I didn't time how long it took me to install the racks, but it did take some time..those damn rubber bumper things. But the charge should be from the dealership. Your bike was purchased from the dealership with the stock rack on, wasn't it, and the luggage came later~?

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I'm sure they rounded up to 1.5 hrs......I've only installed one set of racks [some Givi's]. They were used, and the footpeg bracket mount holes didn't line up very well and I had to use a little elbow grease to get em on. I put everything on bolted real loose, then synched em all down afterwards. And, i did have to fabricate some rubber spacers to take up some slack when mounting the bags to the racks....but anyway. Took me about 1 hour working at an unhurried pace.

Really, did you think they were gonna put em on for free? Looks to me that there was a communication breakdown [always the same] on both your end, and the dealer's end. I believe you're more mad at yourself for not seeing this one coming - I'd be sore at myself too!...... But, I don't think they truly overcharged you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts