StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple questions.

I'm going to be ordering some new Mitas E07's for my lowered Wee soon.

I was thinking about going with the 140/80/17 rear over the stock tire size of 150/70/17.

These are my reasons and then my concerns...

1. I have heard with its thinner profile it will dig into gravel a bit better (which I ride quite a bit of) without any compromise of quality and grip on pavement.

2. I'm hoping they may be slightly better then the Heideanus I am currently running when I ride through sand/mud (not that I ride a ton of sand/mud but the heideanus are pretty terrible in those conditions).

3.(not that it is significant but they are also $10 less).

Now my concerns.

My 2009 Wee is lowered 3/4 inch with some richland rick dogbones but I have never raised the front.

so ...

1. Would a 140/80 rub the underside of the wheel well?

2. Along the same lines as #1 ...One of the biggest concerns would be would the 140/80 negate my 3/4 inch lowering altogether as it is a thinner taller tire? (I have hobbit legs ...need the lowered):)

3. Since different tires can have different weight ratings would the 140/80 change the max weight of the bike IE: when the wife and I go on camping trips fully loaded we are pushing the max weight of ~440 lbs for the wee.

4. Would I get less kms out of it since there is less contact patch being a thinner tire?

And I haven't even asked about going with a 100/90/19 over the stock 110/80/19 as I don't know what the benefits of that are.

Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rim to Tyre Application Chart says a 149/80/17 is optimized for a 3.00" rim width and can handle up to a 3.50". The Strom rear is a 4.00".
Well then ...if that's the case maybe I'll just stick with the stock size.

Although I've seen the 140 recommended 2 or 3 times (in both the Heideanus and the Mitas) from people on this forum and another for the exact reason that it digs and grips better in gravel.

Do you think any of my other concerns are founded?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
140 for Wee

Well, I'm in a hurry, but I will leave my 2 cents since I was asked for my opinion based on personal experience.

I had the 140/80 rear from Heidenaux on my wee and loved it.
I have also put on the 150/70 from Heidenaux when they came out.
When they are worn out, I will go back to the 140/80. I love them.
They have more thread, more aggressive because you don't reach that center slick until you have worn half the thread. the 150/70 has a center slick brand new right off the go. 140 has a slick, but it is countersunk half way in.
They 140's threads are also deeper than the 150 so a little more aggressive.
And being a little skinnier, you dig and bite in a little better.
I have had no issues with rubbing any where. Plenty of clearance.
I also ride with my wife and ride two up a lot.

Now I also like the 140 because they lift your bike a little more and give you more clearance.

Now if you are short legged and already suffer from too much height, then maybe the 140 might not be for you. It will raise your bike some.

As far as weight, I really don't think that is a problem.
I weight 290 lbs. and my wife weights 210. And I pack light because she packs heavy.

I have been on the scales with my wife on the back and our total weight is a hair over 1k.

So if any one should worry about weight, I don't think you are it.
Any questions, contact me by calling me. i would love to answer any questions you may have.

Just go to EnduroGuardian.com.
My phone is on my website.

thanks

Narcosis Junky.
Yann D.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Mitas 140/80 17 on the rear works well for me [the front is a Mefo Explorer, only because I bought the tyres at the time Mitas were having problems wit the 19" tyres suddenly deflating.... all recalled now], mixed highway and dirt covering average 800 km's per day at speeds up around 110-120 kph loaded with all the gear you see in the photos.

This was a high summer run with temps around 35-40 deg C.

Legs of around 300 km's without stopping were routine.

I will be fitting the Mitas again in the 140/80 17 for sure.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Narcosis junky

"Now I also like the 140 because they lift your bike a little more and give you more clearance."

You lost me with this. I thought /80 profile is taller than a /70. Wouldn't the /70 be taller?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
"Now I also like the 140 because they lift your bike a little more and give you more clearance."

You lost me with this. I thought /80 profile is taller than a /70. Wouldn't the /70 be taller?
Metric tire sizes are different...

The first number is the width in mm

The second number is considered the aspect ratio which you would multiply it with the first number and that gives you the side wall height above the rim
For example:

140/80 = 140mm * 0.80 = 112mm sidewall height

150/70 = 150mm * 0.70 = 105mm sidewall height

So the 140 is more narrow than the 150, but it's taller sidewall height makes it a taller tire

112 - 105 = 7mm *2 = 14mm or approximately 0.55 inches taller which would effectively raise your rear 0.28 inches

The third number is obviously the imperial size wheel it fits onto

Got to love those metric tire sizes!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
70% of 150mm is 107mm sidewall height, less than the 80% of the 140mm tyre which is 112mm high.

So you gain a massive :biggrinjester: 7mm lift in ride height.

You do also gain a greater rolling diameter, thus altering the wheel revolutions per engine revolutions, but again the difference is minimal.

The better gravel/dirt grip is noticeable I feel though, compared to the 150/70

Edit... that figures, bassb posted between when I started my reply at the airport and when I completed it at home. :headbang:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the Mitas front and rear - with the 140/80-17 on the rear. On the recent trip to Perth etc I did experience tyre contact with the underside of the rear mudguard. This was at full suspension compression, with a totally loaded bike, with the 1 1/8 lowering links and only when bottoming in steep sided gravel road gullies heading in to the Flinders Ranges. Now that I've taken some height off with tyre wear I doubt that would happen now. I have now ridden with them on wet road and they do alright for my conservative style of riding. I really like the extra confidence of them when riding on gravel
I'll be getting them again when they eventually wear out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts