StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the Strom world. I just picked my new left over 2014 strom 1000 out of its crate.
I'm waiting for my repair manual to arrive, and I'm wanting to install some power for some devices I want to power from the strom.
Anyone off the top of there head know if there is a switched 12v power lead under there seat to splice into?

·
Registered
22,255 Posts
my personal opinion is that you should not splice, it compromises the wire harness, nor should you tap. there are other method of getting access to a switched hot lead

most people recommend the easy way, using a "posi-tap"
to the tail light circuit

you can get access also by making a pigtail that plugs into the wire harness and the oem taillight pigtail plugs into your homemade pigtail, plugs are available thru sources like Eastern Beaver

the way I did it is even simpler than that or using a posi-tap, I just crimped (using pro grade crimp tools) the correct size male spade (its the narrowest gauge male spade) to my relay trigger wire and plugged it into the orange/white wire in the dealer test plug, it is easy enuf to unplug when the test plug is needs to be used for testing, and you have disconnected all accessory wiring when you do need to test

in any case, get your power directly from the battery, but use a relay to a switched wire source to turn it on and off

and most absolutely, stay away from those blue scotchlok taps,
that are often provided with kits, without fail, they become the source of electrical problems

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,255 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
650 Stroms have a switched accessory lead for this very purpose under the front right cowling. Not sure if the Vees have the same configuration...

Eastern Beaver sells a harness that plugs right in. I've been using it problem free for a couple of months now to power my tank bag devices.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The Vee2 has connector for auxiliary power in the front of the bike that is designed to charge a phone or GPS as it is fused for 3A so can be used for a relay. For under seat power, you can plug in an adapter from VStrom and use the tail light wire to power a relay. There is a $20 USD minimum order. Do less and the shipping cost gets ridiculous.

But Eastern Beaver has what may be the perfect solution for you in entirety at VStrom

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
In addition to the "cigarette lighter" connector on the dash, the aforementioned accessory connector is behind the top of the radiator, under the tank. Unfortunately you pretty much have to pivot the radiator down or remove the tank to access it. It uses the same connector as for the 650 heated grips, available from Eastern Beaver. As said, it works for light loads and heated grips, but not for incandescent lights, air compressor, etc. And if you ever plan to add more than one thing, I second the nomination for the PC-8, or the smaller 3-circuit solution.

·
Registered
997 Posts
... It uses the same connector as for the 650 heated grips,
Thanks G-Dub. That is the first confirmation I've seen that the 650 and V2 plugs are the same.
If you know: does same apply to the OEM plug for the driving lights ? (same as 650) Now I need to find a USA supplier. I have no beef with Eastern Beaver and understand the need for minimum orders. But I just need one each of those plugs - one time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks G-Dub. That is the first confirmation I've seen that the 650 and V2 plugs are the same.
If you know: does same apply to the OEM plug for the driving lights ? (same as 650) Now I need to find a USA supplier. I have no beef with Eastern Beaver and understand the need for minimum orders. But I just need one each of those plugs - one time. Any suggestions?
I know it's the same connector, as when I had the tank off the V2 doing the recall fixes, I had pre-ordered one of those cables from EB to plug into that connector. It isn't powering anything at the moment, but easy access now if needed.

Many of these electrical items are available at Cycle Terminal, but when I mentioned them once before it set off a shitstorm (well, maybe that's a bit harsh, but there was some nashing of teeth...) accusing him of copying EB. They do have a lot of the same stuff, but different things as well. You can decide... I'm not sure if they have the pre-made connectors with leads like EB - if not I suppose you could ask if he could make one. If you had to buy connectors, wire and crimpers just to make a couple of cables (good crimpers can be very expensive), it would cost much more than getting from EB. Also, there is something of an art to matching up the terminal and crimper, and getting good crimps with those terminals.

As far as the driving lights - do you mean the connector that plugs onto the headlights? If it is those, I could check my bikes, as long as it's something I don't have to dismantle to see.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GREAT...
So It is confirmed, the Heated grip plug for the 650 is the same on the Vee2 ??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh also Has anyone installed the Relay Kit for DL1000A? Reason i'm asking is I want to make sure the trigger lead is the same for the vee and the vee2. Says it is on the site, but I'm going to make my own harness up, I just want to pick up the trigger pigtail.

·
38,049 Posts
It's the same. There is a $20 USD minimum order at EB though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I know it's the same connector,...

As far as the driving lights - do you mean the connector that plugs onto the headlights? If it is those, I could check my bikes, as long as it's something I don't have to dismantle to see.
It is my understanding that are two connectors on the V2 waiting to be used. One for the heated grips and another for the OEM offered driving lights.

I don't even know if the 650 offered OEM driving lights (my other Suzuki is a naked SV) So my question resolves to: Is the connector for the grips the same as for the auxiliary driving lights ? i understand not wanting to disassemble anything to answer. My goal is to order what I need so as to do this in one session. Thanks or your help.

·
38,049 Posts
The Vee2 only has one auxiliary connector for accessories. It is fused for 3A. No Strom has a built in driving light connector. Glees have a heated grip connector as part of the turn signal and brake light fused circuit and an auxiliary connector as part of the ignition fused circuit with a warning not to put more than 3A on it. Other Stroms only have the heated grip connector.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks fellas. I ordered the heated grip plug and the tail light pigtail from EB. I have a relay and 4 position fuse block already, I will just build the wiring harness myself.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts