StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add 2ea 12V sockets to my 2007 DL650. Any recommendation on actual hardware to purchase? There are only about 50 to choose from on Amazon and a few dealer re-sellers. .....

Thank you all.

Dan

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
If money is no object, the sockets and plugs made by Powerlets are pretty top notch.

Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics

If, on the other hand, you're cheap like me, you can go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and get something like this:

If you plan on plugging something in like a small air compressor, make sure the wire gauge on whatever outlet you buy is heavy enough. Mine are both wired with 14 gauge.

I've had two of these installed on my V-Strom, and moved them over to my Super Tenere. They've been on one bike or the other for the past about 7 years, and still working fine. The cap is weatherproof, so water won't get in while it's closed. I have them mounted to the bar clamps using a couple brackets I cut out of aluminum:

·
Registered
97 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Just be sure it's Marine grade. Go to a boat shop or online. The ones from the auto store rot away after a while. How do i know that?

Boat shops have so much neat stuff anyway. Stainless hardware that is perfect for the environment of the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
If money is no object, the sockets and plugs made by Powerlets are pretty top notch.

Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics

If, on the other hand, you're cheap like me, you can go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and get something like this:

If you plan on plugging something in like a small air compressor, make sure the wire gauge on whatever outlet you buy is heavy enough. Mine are both wired with 14 gauge.

I've had two of these installed on my V-Strom, and moved them over to my Super Tenere. They've been on one bike or the other for the past about 7 years, and still working fine. The cap is weatherproof, so water won't get in while it's closed. I have them mounted to the bar clamps using a couple brackets I cut out of aluminum:

Oooh, I like that setup. Simple.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Thanks, Webfors. I can't take credit for the idea; I saw similar brackets for sale in Twisted Throttle's catalog. They were like 20 bucks each, and I had some 1/8" aluminum, so I made my own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts