StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that little SAE connector that's tied off to the frame near the left passenger peg what I think it is?

It looks like a 12v "always on", 7 amp fused SAE connector power out. Could it be so? If yes, what a nice way to get power to charge my little doodads while I'm touring. Can I go right from that to my little (5"x3'x1") 110 watt inverter and charge all my batts as well as run my laptop?

What is it there for? Some accessory from Suzuki? Which one? Would I need to up the fuse rating to say a 15 amp?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
No SAE connector is standard on a Japanese motorcycle. Check with your dealer if you want. They probably added it for a trickle charger. You can connect up to 125-150 watts of stuff total. If you get anywhere near that, add a voltmeter to make sure you don't run below 12.6-12.8V for very long as that is the break even point between charging and discharging. If you up the fuse, make sure the wire is heavy enough to handle the load. You'll want at least 16ga.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No SAE connector is standard on a Japanese motorcycle. Check with your dealer if you want. They probably added it for a trickle charger. You can connect up to 125-150 watts of stuff total. If you get anywhere near that, add a voltmeter to make sure you don't run below 12.6-12.8V for very long as that is the break even point between charging and discharging. If you up the fuse, make sure the wire is heavy enough to handle the load. You'll want at least 16ga.
If it is not an SAE connector, what type is it?

·
38,048 Posts
The stock bike does not have an always on connector with a fuse outside the standard fuse box.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The stock bike does not have an always on connector with a fuse outside the standard fuse box.
Sorry, it occurred to me later that this was likely left on the bike by the previous owner. Since I bought it with only 36 miles on it and in factory showroom condition, I sometimes forget that it had a previous owner at all.:green_lol::mrgreen:

thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You bought a new/used bike with only 36 miles on it? :jawdrop:
Wait & here's the best part. $6995!::hurray::

I stumbled upon it in a frantic 5 state search to find a standard before 0% ran out at the end of May (purportedly). It had been traded in the night before by one of the dealer's regular customers. Apparently, he's done this before several times.

But get this! He traded his new 2012 Strom AND his DRZ for one of those goofy side by side ATV's that cost more than a nice jeep!

:yikes::jawdrop::yikes:

Sorry, I never get tired of repeating the story. :thumbup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
sae connector

It may have been the first owner, but it's possible the dealer installed it. My dealer had installed one one my new bike, ostensibly to keep the battery trickle charged before it got sold, or perhaps to lure me into buying a trickle charger from them. (I already had one so I didn't)

·
Registered
22,283 Posts
pigtail SAE connector is one of first accessories I add to a bike

there are many uses
1 quick connection for battery charger
2. quick connection point for 12v socket adaptor to plug in 12 air compressor or other 12v items like cell phone charger etc.
3. extra connector for SAe to coax adaptor to plug in heated gear for pillon

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pigtail SAE connector is one of first accessories I add to a bike

there are many uses
1 quick connection for battery charger
2. quick connection point for 12v socket adaptor to plug in 12 air compressor or other 12v items like cell phone charger etc.
3. extra connector for SAe to coax adaptor to plug in heated gear for pillon
You are right, I'll use it to connect to an inverter and charge all my goodies on the back of the bike. I'd like to find a 4ft extension cable any idea where/in what type of store, I might find one locally?

Do the make fused SAE pigtails that are long enough to reach the front of the bike? I'd like to run another to just under my handle bars.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You are right, I'll use it to connect to an inverter and charge all my goodies on the back of the bike. I'd like to find a 4ft extension cable any idea where/in what type of store, I might find one locally?

Do the make fused SAE pigtails that are long enough to reach the front of the bike? I'd like to run another to just under my handle bars.
Check out Eastern Beaver...

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
22,283 Posts

its easy enuf to make your own pigtail as long as you wany

I would not however plug an 110v inverter into one, use charging devices that plug into 12v

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Also, forget about using SAE connectors for anything else. Other connectors and devices are more appropriate.
I would not however plug an 110v inverter into one, use charging devices that plug into 12v
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the advice. A couple of questions, if I may? What is wrong with running a DC to AC inverter from your bike? They seem ok on cars, why is it so bad on a bike? My Canon 7d batteries will not charge any other way.

What is so bad about using SAE connectors? They are compact, they have that groovy little weather proof cap. I can get SAE to cigi sockets, powerlet, usb, SAE Y cables. This guy sells all these goodies and seems to be happy to make anything you'd want. The guys on adv really seem to respect him.

Burns Moto

I am not very experienced at this, so I'd appreciate further elaboration.

·
38,048 Posts
Every time you convert electricity in form, some energy is lost in the conversion process. Going from 12VDC to 110VAC to 12VAC or 5VAC loses a lot in the process of two voltage conversions and two AC/DC conversions. A car has a lot of electrical output. A bike doesn't.

None of the devices you want to power have SAE connectors. Every connection is a potential trouble spot. If you need a cigarette lighter socket for example, wire one in directly, not through an SAE coupling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts