StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I originally bought my V-Strom the original owner installed a 12v accessory outlet that mounted to the wire loop on the handlebars that guides the throttle cables (it was in the perfect location). Well it recently quit working and I would like to find a replacement. There where no visible manufacture markings so I’m at a loss as to who made it. I am familiar with the Powerlets and their associated cost and am not interested in that option. If any one knows a source for an affordable and weather resistant accessory plug please pass the info along. Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do you have a preference for connector standard? Are you looking for cigarette plug standard or something else?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MWValley said:
Do you have a preference for connector standard? Are you looking for cigarette plug standard or something else?
I guess that minor detail does make a difference. I'm looking for a standard cigarette lighter plug.

While we are on the subject of plug types, is there an advantage of the BMW style? I've only seen pictures of it and since I've never used it there doesn't seem to be anything special about it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Size is the big advantage of the BMWish style plug, or actually outlet. It takes up very little space, where a cigarette lighter receptical is very deep and large..

I pick mine up from a buddy at my local John Deere dealership (same size).. I'll be mounting one on my Strom this week. I use mine for my Aerostich electric vest, air pump for my air mattress, and mini air compressor.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I installed a powerlet female plug on my 6Fiddy.......

I carry at powerlet to standard lighter adapter (See Pix below) in my tankbag.

I've installed both the Powerlet & the SealLink male (with the green power on LED) adapters on most all my 12V "stuff".

Most of the OE 12V male adapters that come on 12V "stuff" are not fused (unlike the SeaLink) and are pretty cheap.

Doing it this way gives me some flexibility between the Strom and the cages. . .

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Electrical Strategy

I have a Zumo currently wired straight to battery.

I intend to install heated hand grips at some point, and an accessory plug for cell phone rechargers and the like. And possibly an extra loud horn that often needs a relay.

Seems like a fuse block is a good idea, but which one to buy, and where do I put it? Does one run 12 ga wire up to it?

I'm sure there are some good threads about this but there were too many search terms to try.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Do a search on Blue Seas. It brings up the good threads.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Powerlet

When I originally bought my V-Strom the original owner installed a 12v accessory outlet that mounted to the wire loop on the handlebars that guides the throttle cables (it was in the perfect location). Well it recently quit working and I would like to find a replacement. There where no visible manufacture markings so I’m at a loss as to who made it. I am familiar with the Powerlets and their associated cost and am not interested in that option. If any one knows a source for an affordable and weather resistant accessory plug please pass the info along. Thanks
Buy the Powerlet stuff. High quality will pay for itself in the long run from ease of installation, quality product and a sanitary application. If you go cheap ya get cheap and look cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Do a search on Blue Seas. It brings up the good threads.
Thanks. I found some.

doesn't seem to be any consensus on where to mount them, though. I thought it was ommon to run it up to the front with heavy cable to localize all the accessory wiring.

·
38,047 Posts
Every thread I remember placed them in the underseat tray. It's much easier to wire and get at the fuses there. It's also a shorter run to the battery and more protected from the elements.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
What about the accessory connector stashed behind the radiator? If it's designed to power heated grips, is there any reason someone couldn't get a male plug from the Suz dealership (or wherever else, if it's a generic connector) and wire a 12v plug into that?

Seems to make sense to me. But, if it was a great idea, everyone would be doing it, and I've never heard of someone doing that. Why not?

·
38,047 Posts
The Suzuki horn lead to fit the heated grips connector is part number 36852-06G00. It's definitely usable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. I found some.

doesn't seem to be any consensus on where to mount them, though. I thought it was ommon to run it up to the front with heavy cable to localize all the accessory wiring.
Cable tie to the cable holder in front of the bars. Soldered poitive and negative wires , taped them, covered them in heat shrink and then fed them back along the frame to tap into my Blue Seas fuse box. All nice and neat. Lets me use the plug up front without pissing around to take the seat off.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
What about the accessory connector stashed behind the radiator? If it's designed to power heated grips, is there any reason someone couldn't get a male plug from the Suz dealership (or wherever else, if it's a generic connector) and wire a 12v plug into that?

Seems to make sense to me. But, if it was a great idea, everyone would be doing it, and I've never heard of someone doing that. Why not?
Its actually pretty common. It is switched power and I used to as power for the relay that controls my Blue Seas fuse block. Grey was correct, the horn lead plugs right in.

Item #7:
Part Number: 36852-06G00
Description: WIRE,HORN LEAD
Price $7.02

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to pick that part up next time I'm at a Suz. dealership.

Man, this site is awesome. Is there any question this site can't answer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Marinco Adapter

I bought mine on ebay for about 7 dollars each...god quality easy install:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
err good quality. God quality would be nice, but I will have to admit they are not that good.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts