StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a new chain on the V, it rides like new again. I was tighten the chain after every ride. When starting out in 1st It would clink and clank, but now it is smoothe as butter. Just a heads up, you might need anew chain at 12K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I'm at 19,000 miles and my chain is still going strong 8)

topdog said:
Just put a new chain on the V, it rides like new again. Just a heads up, you might need anew chain at 12K miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chain talk

I bought a new chain and sprockets at about 18,000 miles but just now replaced them all at 24,000 miles. The chain was pretty "loose" and wasn't lining up with the sprockets too well. I had a Scott oiler going for the last 16,000 miles and I think it helped.

The rear sprocket was still pretty good, and the front was slightly distorted, but not as bad as I have seen. Even so, it would not be good to use it with a new chain.

The new chain, DID 525VM X-ring is beefier than the stock chain and should last quite a while with care. I measured the links (inner and outer) on the stock as 0.078" and 0.079" and the DID was 0.094" and 0.087" thick.

Everything is quieter and smoother now - no surprise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
14,500 and looking good. I've got a new chain, trying to decide if I should install it before riding to IL and back next week. Maybe I'll just carry it with me.

I haven't adjusted my chain in a few thousand miles, seems to maintain it's sag.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm only at 10k w/3 very minor adjustments thus far which is surprising to me w/this stock RK chain along w/my riding style. I'm a big fan of DID (mainly since my CBRs eat RK chains) and am looking forward to switching to DID as well changing the gearing (back +1).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts