StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Quick-Lock rack by SW-MOTECH on my 2012 Wee the other day. I know there have been some prior posts about the rack installation but I thought some might want to see it on a 12. Should be very similar to the prior models from what I've read

Looks like this coming from Twisted Throttle. Each rack individually wrapped along with one containing the hardware.

Laying out all the hardware ahead of time is very helpful.

Starting at the back, remove the rear rack pad (pulls off easily) and seat. Remove the 4 shiny bolts (stock bolts are black, replacements are shown in the picture). 2 near the middle of the rack and 2 near the front of the passenger grab rails.

Take the rack off.

You'll place a long steel flat bracket angled to the rear over the rear two bolts holes for the rack. After using the spacers /thick washers per the instructions, place the rear rack back top.
The bracket in this photo is still wrapped in plastic. Its the one at the top of the photo.

The instructions tell you to next remove the rear fender. 4 plastic rivets and 2 pan head allens located across from each other near the keyed seat release. There are two plates provided to relocate the turn signals further back. I thought I read somewhere that some folks haven't had to move them so I bypassed this step. Besides I didn't want to cut/extend the wires to the signals if I didn't have too.

Hardware needed for the left side passenger foot peg bracket.

The hardware on the bracket ready to be screwed back on the frame. Leave all bolts a little loose until everything is together then you can tighten them down.

Right side passenger foot peg hardware.

The angled or bent bracket will mount through the upper rear foot peg assembly bolt. The straight bracket will mount through the hole located just behind the passenger foot peg.

The lower bracket.

Remove the reflectors on each side of the license plate bracket and then the two bolts in the center of the license plate bracket.

Place the supplied steel bracket under the license plate bracket and button them back to together on the fender. The sides of the license plate bracket where the reflectors were interfered so I just bent them around so they paralleled the license plate bracket.

Attach the side racks to the mounting brackets. You'll probably will have to wiggle some of the mounting plates into the correct position for everything to line up. Insert the Quick-Lock screws and give them a quarter turn. After that tighten everything up. I used blue Locktite everywhere I could.

Top view.

And sides.

They're definitely asymmetrical.

There is approximately 1/16th of an inch clearance between the left blinker and the rack. The ride side lightly touches the rubber portion of the blinker. I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm impressed with the racks. They are very solid and easily removed.
Hope this helps.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up Steve... Looks awesome... Now I want a 2012 more than ever...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for tips.

What bags will you run with?

Will that rack hold V35 side bags from Givi?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks for tips.

What bags will you run with?

Will that rack hold V35 side bags from Givi?
Those are definitely not racks for the V35s... However, adapters can be bought for pretty much everything else.... peilcan/storm cases, trax, regular Givi's, HBs... etc... V35s need contoured racks...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are definitely not racks for the V35s... However, adapters can be bought for pretty much everything else.... peilcan/storm cases, trax, regular Givi's, HBs... etc... V35s need contoured racks...
CanadianFZ6 is right.

I'm not sure what I'm going to buy. I probably only need two bags. This will be my one up bike. I have an FJR for the longer trips with the wife. Most of the time I just use a top box so it needs to be one that can do double duty.

I'm looking at E36 / E45, E360 (40 liter) or the Trekker series. I can afford any of them but cheaper would be nice. I've heard the E36 / E45 in nearly indestructible and not bad looking IMO. My only concern there is now with the more flowing lines of the Glee and the boxy E36 / E45. Also do I go with two E36's and keep the bike narrow or go with the 36 / 45 combo since the rear end is asymmetrical. That way I could use either size when I'm running a top box, which is most of the time.

I think the E360 is pretty nice with its curvier corners. I have a V46 (sort of similar) on the FJR and like it looks for that bike. The 360 holds 40 liters which should be plenty. I do want something a little smaller than the V46 on the back of the DL.

Then there is the Trekker series. Overall I think they look very nice. 2-33 litter cases would probably be enough. Or I could go with the 33 / 45 combo. I don't necessarily like the 45 on the back alone. Looks like a big Rubbermaid tote box to me. They're the most expensive. Would they hold up as well in a fall as the E36 / 45? I'd hate to scratch the aluminum in a fall.

The bottom line is I'm obviously not sure yet. Any thoughts from those with experience. I've combed through most of the stuff already posted.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The bottom line is I'm obviously not sure yet. Any thoughts from those with experience. I've combed through most of the stuff already posted.

Funny, I'm thinking along the exact same lines. I'd like to be able to remove the racks quickly, so either these SW-Motechs, or the new Givi PLR3101s that I'm starting to see pop up at various stores. Givi also has a really nice rear rack adaptor in aluminum rather than the usual plastic (it looks like an SW-Motech Alu-rack) that lets you mount up a Monokey as a top box.

I was thinking of a couple of E36s or E360s - with the side racks and that rear adaptor, I could have the choice of doing panniers for longer trips, or just throwing up one of the bags as a top box for running around town.

I think I might actually prefer the E36s over the E360s on the Glee - the new bike is much curvier, but to me those flowing lines clash a bit with the curves on the E360. The older bags just look like they belong better on an "adventure bike". Also can't decide between 36/36 and 36/45 litre. I really want to minimize width.

I priced out the Trekkers too. The deal breaker for me was that the 33 does not fit a full-face helmet, period. At least with the E36 my size small/medium has a fighting chance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SnowKraver, sounds like we on definitely on the same page. I don't mind the look on the 36/45's on the side just wondering about the boxy look on the top box alone. They sure seem to take a lot of abuse and last a long time.

I ordered the rear SW-Motech rack. Its back-ordered at the moment and didn't come in with the rest of the stuff. I thought the paperwork said it was steel.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, the E36 is pretty square, but I don't think that I would be doing the top box alone too often. It actually looks really good on the old bike - see Greywolf's here at post #8: Givi E36 or E45 reviews please - ADVrider - so I don't really see why it wouldn't work with the new lines too.

The SW-Motech rear rack is steel. I was referring to Givi's SRA3101, which is a rack specifically for Givi Monokey boxes, and is made of aluminum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen Greywolf's setup while combing through the related threads. I agree it looks nice.

Here's my dilemma, 90% of the time I have just the topbox on. I think I like the rounder looks of the E360 in that arrangement. For just side bags I probably prefer the looks of the E36/45's.

I can usually make a decision much easier than this but this one's kicking my butt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My racks are on order as well, but my cases have arrived. I went with two different Pelicans for the sides and a Bestem for the top box. The Pelicans are the im2400 and im2450. Even if the cases look odd in relation to each other, I liked the photos I've seen of the thicker case on the left and the thinner on the right to balance the overall bike. Most of all, it keeps the bike thin enough to get between the cars in the garage.

Appreciate the thread and the write-up. I could have saved a buck and some time if I knew the SW-Motech might modify my need for washers and spacers to keep the Bestem plate bolts from rubbing the tail.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brutusfly, thanks for the picture. I think they're going to look real nice. And you're right, its never over is it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
2012 signal bracket

Brutisfly ... just for anyone else looking to do this ... You do not have to cut any of the wireing for the turn signal extension as there are wire extensions in one of the bags to make the signal wire longer ... simply plug and play ... however putting on the signal bracket is a :furious: if you know what I mean... :thumbdown:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's my SW-Motech install with Pelicans

Tough choices but I decided on these things:
  • Achieve similar bike width on each side at the expense of bag symmetry.
  • Go with something reasonably narrow.
  • Bolt directly to quick-release rack since I'll never want the racks on with the cases off.
  • Leave the turn signals in place, and mount the bags strongly tilted forward to accommodate passenger feet and stock signal position.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tough choices but I decided on these things:
  • Achieve similar bike width on each side at the expense of bag symmetry.
  • Go with something reasonably narrow.
  • Bolt directly to quick-release rack since I'll never want the racks on with the cases off.
  • Leave the turn signals in place, and mount the bags strongly tilted forward to accommodate passenger feet and stock signal position.

Brutusfly - Your choice of Pelicans/Bestem seems to fit your needs and wants to a T and it they look really good on your bike. Nice pick!

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
Those bags look a lot like the Seahorse I installed. I got the 2 27 liter boxes.
Out of curiosity, why mount them at an angle. I put mine level on the center stand.
Just preference?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those bags look a lot like the Seahorse I installed. I got the 2 27 liter boxes.
Out of curiosity, why mount them at an angle. I put mine level on the center stand.
Just preference?
Yup, I just weighed my options. If I leveled them a bit they would either hit the turn signals at the back-upper-corner or crowd the passengers feet at the front-lower-corner. It was just the trade off for not using the turn signal relocation plates.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brutusfly that looks great! I like them tilted forward. Follows the lines of the bike well and looks fast just sitting there.

AL417, glad this helped someone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts