StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys and gals mounting 12 volt sockets? I'm tossing around a couple of options i.e. loom for brake lines, drill into fairing, make a dash. Before I go ahead and do this I thought I would ask for pictures or descriptions of what some of you have done. Come on now I know I'm not the only to put one on so pony up!!

Thanks,
Travis

·
Registered
416 Posts
Contact Powerlet. they have a kit that goes into the left fairing. I have their stuff on my FJR. High qualityand all the things you need to hook up all your electrics.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Got this from Walmart for $12.95. It's the same waterproof one as sold in marine stores for $29.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NVR2OLD,
Have you run with anything plugged into the outlet that is mounted on your handle bars? Where there any issues?

This is one location I considered myself but was not sure how this will work with a bar mounted GPS.
T

·
Registered
52 Posts
I mounted a Powerlet into the Tupperware just below my left leg to run my electric vest. It's directly wired into the battery so I can also run a Battery Tender into it, or a small compressor out of it. Yes, it's fused.

I'm working on a small (tiny) dash to mount 2 Powerlets that will go between the handlebar mounts. I'm going to fabricate it out of sheet metal. It will power the XM and the GPS.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Just installed it last week. I don't forsee any issues with it, but have only run my pump to test it. So far I just plan to use it for the pump and charging my cell phone on multi day trips. I also wired in driving lights and heated grips thru a separate fuse box, powered by a relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where are you guys and gals mounting 12 volt sockets? I'm tossing around a couple of options i.e. loom for brake lines, drill into fairing, make a dash. Before I go ahead and do this I thought I would ask for pictures or descriptions of what some of you have done. Come on now I know I'm not the only to put one on so pony up!!

Thanks,
Travis
Just got mine. About to fill a snowy winter day (25 minutes) with the installation.
http://powerletproducts.com/products/suzuki_vstrom.php
Willie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nightwawk

Did you move your brake lines? They are not clear in the pic. How did you fasten the socket?

TIA,
T

·
Registered
158 Posts
The brake lines were not moved. I had to remove the throttle cable guide for this to work. I had to cut an open ended slot on the power socket in order to mount it with the bolt used for the cable guide. No problems with the cable guide removed.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
nvr2old, I only see one connection from the batteries (-) terminal and that is going to the relay. How are you grounding all of the stuff that you are adding?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It looks like grounds are going back to the battery post. Using red for a ground and a green for a hot is against standard practice and may cause problems for a subsequent owner. It also makes problems harder to track.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
It looks like grounds are going back to the battery post. Using red for a ground and a green for a hot is against standard practice and may cause problems for a subsequent owner. It also makes problems harder to track.
Oh yeah. Colors were very confusing, green going to both + and - and some red on the - too.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Your right about the colors not being consistent. I used what I had availible. Not the best practice. All the accessories have grounds direct to the battery. Only the relay(of the under seat connections) needs a ground. sorry for the confusion.

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 12v solution

Hi,

I have connected my 12v outlet as per pic. I moved the relay shown across two 'pegs' then glued the socket holder to the under seat storage compartment. Connected the wires with the positive running via a 15 amp mini fuse. Anyone who wants to complain about me gluing something in place should first go and buy a tube of Loctite 406 (Prism) and then see if they still feel like complaining. This stuff will stick anything to anything, quickly, permanently. Don't get it on your skin or you won't have any.

Total installation time of around 15 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Your right about the colors not being consistent. I used what I had availible. Not the best practice. All the accessories have grounds direct to the battery. Only the relay(of the under seat connections) needs a ground. sorry for the confusion.

Don
Hey Don,

You can use a black marker to color the "wrong" color cable near the terminal. This is done in house wiring for situations like a 3-way switch. It'll alert folks in the future (including you) that the wiring color was intentional.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts