StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the oil drain plug on my '12 650 and I was surprised to see that it is a magnetic plug. How nice of Suzuki. And I had already purchased an aftermarket mag plug, dammit. I clean and dry the oem plug and test the magnetic pull. Almost no pull force, barely able to lift a small washer. Useless.

·
Registered
99 Posts
stronger magnets

A couple years ago I bought a magnetic drain plug for my KLR. I was disappointed with the strength of the magnet. It was epoxied into a recess in the drain plug so I heated it briefly with a torch and it came out easily. Then I replaced it with a neodymium cylinder magnet from K&J Magnetics. They are cheap, and are so strong you don't even need to glue it in and it stays put. So if the '12 vStrom plug has a recess in it where the magnet is you might consider that. Sorry I don't have a picture of it in the drain plug, but here is a picture of the magnet:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
A magnet in an oil sump where steel gears are in contact is very appropriate. Agreed, the weak OEM magnet could be much stronger. A neodymium ring magnet on the outside of the oil filter can may be a help.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Great idea! :thumbup:

Is that the magnets they use in hard drives? Those bastards are strong! :yesnod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
A magnet in an oil sump where steel gears are in contact is very appropriate. Agreed, the weak OEM magnet could be much stronger. A neodymium ring magnet on the outside of the oil filter can may be a help.
Where can I get such a ring magnet for the outside of the oil filter?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Where can I get such a ring magnet for the outside of the oil filter?
Search for "neodymium ring magnets". Here's one example: SuperMagnetMan

The neodymium magnets, in addition to being very strong, maintain more strength when hot than do ordinary steel magnets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts