StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just coming up on my 12,000 km service and I'm getting some conflicting info from the owners manual vs the service manual.

Spark Plugs

service manual says to replace every 24 months or 12,000 km vs owners manual that says every 48 months or 24,000 km.

IMO, 12,000 km seems ridiculous, especially for iridium plugs, but what do i know?

Coolant

forgot to look if i have suzuki long life (green) or super long life coolant (blue) when i had the tank up last year. anyone know?

if i just have the long life, both the owners and service manual say its only good for 24 months or 12,000 km. that's not long life coolant, I've never had a bike that needed a coolant change once or more a year (12,000 km).

the manual also doesn't mention any gasket or squish washer for the drain or vent plug, is this true?

out of curiosity, does anyone know why the same coolant goes twice as far in Australia, not twice as long, just twice as far.

any info or opinions welcome, thanks guys

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Iridium plugs are usually good for 60,000km. Make sure that's what was actually fitted though.
"Long life" is just a name, not a real rating, and bike coolant is usually mixed differently than what you'd put in your car, though I expect that depends on the brand these days.
Most of our country is hot, not sub-Arctic. Maybe that contributes to coolant longevity, I don't know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i enter the spark plug number into the google it brings up the NGK site and says laser iridium.

I'm going to go with owners manual for the plugs and skip this replacement but will check them when i lift the tank to check and drain the reservoir.

thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
For my ‘19, I JUST had my 7,500 mile service done this past weekend. Dealer checked plugs and said they looked good, that you’re supposed to replace them at that point, but that they’d recommend waiting until the next service.

My air filter was good too, so I got off cheap.

From what the service rep said, the recommendation on replacing them at 7,500 miles comes from the EPA.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Don't worry about the spark plugs. Mine have about 48k (miles that is) on them. In a car engine they are good for 100k or how long?

Coolant: I would change it when its time to do the valve check. Makes that job much easier when you remove the radiator. So just fill it with new coolant then.

Not sure what the manual says about brake fluid. That I would change after 2 years AND make sure to exercise the ABS front and rear to flush out old oxidized fluid. Ideally then change the fluid again and you are good for another 2 years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what the service rep said, the recommendation on replacing them at 7,500 miles comes from the EPA.
thats what i figured, has nothing to do with engine requirements. oil, oil filter, spark plug, coolant, even the air filter last longer in Europe and Oceania. says to change their spark plugs with every oil change yet their oil filters last twice as long?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't worry about the spark plugs. Mine have about 48k (miles that is) on them. In a car engine they are good for 100k or how long?

Coolant: I would change it when its time to do the valve check. Makes that job much easier when you remove the radiator. So just fill it with new coolant then.

Not sure what the manual says about brake fluid. That I would change after 2 years AND make sure to exercise the ABS front and rear to flush out old oxidized fluid. Ideally then change the fluid again and you are good for another 2 years.
sounds like I'll be doing a coolant change now, then another with the valves in the fall.

yes, i will be changing the brake and clutch fluid at that time as well.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
No need to do the coolant change twice. Just change it when you do the valves. Coolant deteriorates slowly and gradually and yours is not that old. Real old coolant looses the anti-corrosion properties. That is really the main reason for changing it.

Change the brake fluid is more important. There have been reports here of ABS units failing with old (older than yours) brake fluid. In fact HD had a recall for that reason because brake fluid change is an afterthought for many. It can ruin the ABS module and fixing that is a lot more trouble than changing the fluid and exercising the ABS. Its a similar problem of oxidized brake fluid becoming more and more corrosive eating away at the ABS pumps and valves. In bad cases it causes you to loose braking, not just loosing the ABS function.

EDIT: Check out the last post of this thread ... ABS malfunction

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For my ‘19, I JUST had my 7,500 mile service done this past weekend. Dealer checked plugs and said they looked good, that you’re supposed to replace them at that point, but that they’d recommend waiting until the next service.

My air filter was good too, so I got off cheap.

did they do a coolant change with the service?

took the tank and everything off to check and drain the reservoir etc and found this

I'm thinking thats the suzuki blue super long life coolant.

·
Registered
238 Posts
did they do a coolant change with the service?

took the tank and everything off to check and drain the reservoir etc and found this

View attachment 273256

I'm thinking thats the suzuki blue super long life coolant.
They did not. If I remember correctly,
They do that at the 15,000 mile service.

Edit: FYSA...my DL1000 has only been in service for eight months. I would imagine that some of the stuff they passed on at this time might have been necessary if it was older And brought in for the same mileage service.

Ex. The average rider does maybe 2-3,000 miles per year. By the time they go in for a 7,500 mile service, they may need to have the brakes flushed and possibly replace some hoses.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If I remember my engine theory correctly, at 3000 rpm a spark plug fires 50 times per second,(wow). The factory recommended interval may be based on the 10000 rpm redline, which would wear out the plugs five times faster than a car cruising at 2000 rpm. Now I know most of us don't ride like that, but if they allow that redline, they have to allow for the chance that somebody is going to pin the throttle and leave it there all day.
The 2 yr recommendation for brake fluid is real, as the fluid is hygroscopic. Whenever I flush and bleed brakes, they feel a little better. Probably picking up tiny bits of moisture, and like chain wear, creeps up on you slowly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They did not. If I remember correctly,
They do that at the 15,000 mile service.

Edit: FYSA...my DL1000 has only been in service for eight months. I would imagine that some of the stuff they passed on at this time might have been necessary if it was older And brought in for the same mileage service.

Ex. The average rider does maybe 2-3,000 miles per year. By the time they go in for a 7,500 mile service, they may need to have the brakes flushed and possibly replace some hoses.
mine is one year in service too, five months of that stored for winter.

the service manual says for the green coolant it's 2 years or 12000km(7500mi) and if it's blue 4 years or 48,000km(29000mi) whichever comes first.

seeing as it's easier to do the valve check by removing the rad i will likely change it then and stick with the fancy blue to spread the coolant changes out to three years or so, unless its crazy expensive.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I remember my engine theory correctly, at 3000 rpm a spark plug fires 50 times per second,(wow). The factory recommended interval may be based on the 10000 rpm redline, which would wear out the plugs five times faster than a car cruising at 2000 rpm. Now I know most of us don't ride like that, but if they allow that redline, they have to allow for the chance that somebody is going to pin the throttle and leave it there all day.
The 2 yr recommendation for brake fluid is real, as the fluid is hygroscopic. Whenever I flush and bleed brakes, they feel a little better. Probably picking up tiny bits of moisture, and like chain wear, creeps up on you slowly.
definitely going to do the brake fluid this fall before putting it away. looking to make it a cleaner easier one person process that i can use on my truck too.

anyone have a bleeder tool they would recommend?

i went to check and gap the plugs but didnt have a small enough plug socket and didn't feel like going and getting in line, so I'll pick one up this week and do that next weekend.

thanks for the responses guys (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts