StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to run a Shinko 712 on the rear. The matching front tire would be a 110 90 since a 110 80 is not available. The sidewall is about a half inch taller which would raise the front the same amount. Any comments on how this will effect handling, if at all? Plan B is to just run a radial front of the proper size. Yes I know, the tire manufacturers do not recommend radial/bias tires but real world feedback says "no problem".

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The Shinko 110/90 would be 11mm higher in profile that the 110/80 - hardly a huge number and I'm sure will fit a stock front guard but the clearance would be reduced.

110 mm wide X 90% height = 99 mm high
110 mm wide X 80% height = 88 mm high

It might give a tad more gyroscopic effect but the difference in the tyres tread, ply pattern and rubber compound would surely have more influence on how it handled.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
I think one of my friends with a Wee runs the 712, He's a conservative rider and doesn't demand huge efforts on the tire.
I'm checking with him about the tires on his bike.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
There's a good chance that it will rub on the fender. A friend ran one and thought it had sufficient clearance, but tires grow some at speed(G-force). By the time I had met up with him,on a ride, there was a hole worn through the fender.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
I know the 2012 DL 650 can have front fender clearance issues with certain tires. Running a close fit bias ply tire on the front might rub at speed. Bias ply tires can gain circumference at speed, radial ply tires don't.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I'm looking to run a Shinko 712 on the rear. The matching front tire would be a 110 90 since a 110 80 is not available. The sidewall is about a half inch taller which would raise the front the same amount. Any comments on how this will effect handling, if at all? Plan B is to just run a radial front of the proper size. Yes I know, the tire manufacturers do not recommend radial/bias tires but real world feedback says "no problem".

I use the 712s and went with the 100/90.

110/80 is a weird size from my looking around for tires.

My opinion is that a 110/90 will rub the OEM fender location.

Richland Rick sells an adapter that raises the fender 1/2" or so.

Fender Riser Kit

·
Registered
665 Posts
You could use different rubber on the front ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts