StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been awhile since I have been on here. Bought my 2012 wee used with 409 miles on it, sitting in a motorcycle collection of a millionaire. Bought it summer 2015.
I have noticed alot of chain clatter noise on taken off and low speeds the past 2 months since riding season started. The sprockets look ok... Not real bad but I've got to replace my Shinko rear tire anyway so figured time to do it all.
Any suggestions for chain and sprockets?
And...
Any one used the Shinko 712?
I got over 6k miles on a rear 704 and never had an issue. For under 100 bucks I'm thrilled. I did alot more off road riding when I first got the wee bit since then I am on all oil top, packed gravel dirt and 80 percent paved hwy and farm market roads. Anyway.
2 questions...
sprocket kits and Shinko 712

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Well, it's been awhile since I have been on here. Bought my 2012 wee used with 409 miles on it, sitting in a motorcycle collection of a millionaire. Bought it summer 2015.
I have noticed alot of chain clatter noise on taken off and low speeds the past 2 months since riding season started. The sprockets look ok... Not real bad but I've got to replace my Shinko rear tire anyway so figured time to do it all.
Any suggestions for chain and sprockets?
And...
Any one used the Shinko 712?
I got over 6k miles on a rear 704 and never had an issue. For under 100 bucks I'm thrilled. I did alot more off road riding when I first got the wee bit since then I am on all oil top, packed gravel dirt and 80 percent paved hwy and farm market roads. Anyway.
2 questions...
sprocket kits and Shinko 712

Tried lubing and adjusting the chain? Should go 20K miles without much fuss.

I'm a fan on Shinko 712s. Work great for me and they're cheap, win win!

·
Administrator
5,367 Posts
Your local Suzuki dealer - or eBay.
10,000 miles is still very low to need a chain replacement. Have you checked your chain slack? It should be 1 to 1/2 inches (a little loose is better that a little tight).

Look through these threads.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/77569-newbie-needs-help-re-chain-adjustment-cant-find-my-manual.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/414935-why-am-i-killing-chains-sprockets.html#post5265983

The general view is that if your chain does need replacing that both sprockets should be replaced as well on the basis that a partly worn sprocket will adversely affect the life of a new chain.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have used Shinko 712 on several vintage Moto Guzzi's the rear were shot at or before 2,000 miles. YMMV

I get normal life out of the rear (5K miles or so, typical for me regardless of brand of tire) and the front seems to last forever. 3 rears to one front at least.

YMMV :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
10k miles is not much for chain. service manual gives chain wear specs per so many links. if within specs and no kinks and o rings intact no need to replace. easy to get 20k with minimum maintenance some get much more.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Unless the chain has been horrendously abused it should'nt be needing replacement at 10k miles ? Some folks on here are getting three and four times that amount.

·
Registered
325 Posts
10K seems a little soon. I would expect at min 20K. Unless it's kinking, I would let it ride until at least the next rear tire change. Outside looking in here; I don't know the history of the bike..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Really wonder why a chain and sprockets would need replacing at 10K. Aside from extreme abuse/neglect I can't think of a reason.
Was it very loose when you purchased the bike? If so it would cause a few problems and that would justify the sprocket replacement as well. But...
Is there visible wear on the sprockets? Google sprocket wear and compare the images.
As for the chain, have you adjusted the tension?
When cleaned and lubed, does it have links that are binding/not moving independently?
10K is way to early to have this situation. Unless someone screwed the pooch...

·
Registered
202 Posts
My chain needs replaced at about 16.5k. I suppose my fault. The klr was treated the same way, clean/lube but it had less miles as it seldom had longer hwy runs on it.

My sprockets and overall chain condition “looks” good. Slight lube, no rust but it has stiff links. Cause? Did the wd40/chain brush degregate the orings letting them lose lube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
My chain needs replaced at about 16.5k. The klr....
I'm on my 3rd chain on KLR 45,000 miles. OEM lasted to 22,000 miles, 2nd 20,000 miles, 3rd still good.

I always 'flood' with chain lube (probably 10 different kinds used over years), then brush, then paper towel / repeat. I never used solvents: kero, WD40, etc. Seems to work OK. 30% miles are off-road / mud / water. Usually not easy miles.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I got the same out of my last chain (16000kms - RK O-Ring). That's the worst I've ever had on the bike. Major kinking set in. I was hoping for better after switching from Motul lube to a Tutoro oiler, but the thing was toast. The sprockets still looked okay but I always swap out sprockets with chains.

I think the Tutoro will be fine for fair weather riding but I need to supplement in the winter months with spray lube. Salt rusts the hell out of a chain if it is not completely covered in lube and the Tutoro single-nozzle doesn't seem to quite do it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have about 17K on my 2014 Wee with the original chain. I just had it in to a Suzuki dealer for a state inspection and I asked them to look at the chain and sprocket condition. They said it was fine, but I should loosen it up a little, which I did. I also just installed a Tuturo chain oiler and I'm hoping to get a lot more miles out of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts