StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving from my 2017 650XT with mechanical clutch to the 2020 1050XT hydraulic clutch. My main problem in conversion is the 1050 clutch is it doesn't feather into gear like my 650xt. Using a light fixture analogy, the 650XT clutch is like a dimmer switch that slowly starts to engage as its being released and gas applied. The 1050 XT is more like an on/off switch that is either engaged fully towards the end of the release or not at all. It proves somewhat awkward in slow maneuvers, because I can't seem to coordinate the feather (because there is none) between gas and clutch so I end up getting lurches instead. Same in both A and B mode. Is this something I just need to get used to because this is how hydraulics work or is there an adjustment of some kind I can make.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I thought that had been fixed in the newer bikes. With the older Gen 2 1000's there's a pin between the end of the clutch lever and the master cylinder. Grinding that down 1-2mm helped. It's still very on/off but at least it's close enough to the bars it's controllable.

Or, you could hang round a starbucks and steal the clutch lever off a modern 1200GS, that has an adjustable reach ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
my '19 came with adjustable clutch and brake levers, did they change this for 2020?

going from cable to hydraulic can take a little getting used to but you will, then it will be awkward going back to cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That doesn’t sound right. I suspect you may have a clutch issue. The 1000 which is same engin as 1050 Has a super easy slow engaging clutch. I would have to say probably the easiest I have ever used. I have the 2019 with 1600km on it and I can 2 finger the clutch and it’s damn near impossible to stall.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The 1050 has adjustable clutch and brake levers. I agree with Edman141 - my 1050's clutch engages nice and smooth, not suddenly or sharply. I'm coming from a 2015 DL650 and didn't notice a huge difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The clutch does engage when the lever is nearly fully out. It was a bit annoying when I first rode the bike, and I adjusted the lever to the closest position to try and improve it. But in the end, I just got use to it. I find the clutch super light and smooth to operate . It would be nice if the lever was a bit closer to the bar, but its still the best clutch I have had on any of my bikes. I ride in the A mode all the time.

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
The new 1050 has one of the lightest clutch pulls of any motorcycle I've seen, hopefully adjusting the lever some helps you? Both of my previous 1000's let out near the end of stroke as well, where my 650 started not far away from the grip.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm coming off a '19 650 and love the new clutch. Works great and perfectly smooth, just took a little getting used, that's all.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Note that there's a difference between adjustable levers and the engagement point of the clutch. I put adjustable short levers on my 2014 DL1000 and the release point was still too far out.

Having the levers short only changes the lever arm, the original problem remains as the operating point is STILL at maximum stretch. As noted the 1200/1250GS's have a lever where the actuating pin distance is adjustable and that allows you to bring the release point in. In the case of the 2014 DL (carefully) shortening the pin is the only way to actually fix this.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The only solution I found on my previous 2014 DL1000 and now on 2018 DL1000 was to shorten the push rod by 2mm. It has perfect biting point now.
When I purchased 2014 DL1000, I traded in 2012 DL650 and it took some time to get used to hydraulic clutch. Now it feels strange if I ride any cable clutch bike. It's just a metter of getting used to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for your input. Looks like I just need to get used to the hydraulic clutch and rely on my throttle to feather when needed. At least now I know it's not an issue that needs to be addressed through some service fix.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
354 Posts
Moving from my 2017 650XT with mechanical clutch to the 2020 1050XT hydraulic clutch. My main problem in conversion is the 1050 clutch is it doesn't feather into gear like my 650xt. Using a light fixture analogy, the 650XT clutch is like a dimmer switch that slowly starts to engage as its being released and gas applied. The 1050 XT is more like an on/off switch that is either engaged fully towards the end of the release or not at all. It proves somewhat awkward in slow maneuvers, because I can't seem to coordinate the feather (because there is none) between gas and clutch so I end up getting lurches instead. Same in both A and B mode. Is this something I just need to get used to because this is how hydraulics work or is there an adjustment of some kind I can make.
I think it's just a matter of getting used to the engagement point on the new bike. They all a little different same with cars and trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts