StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on a number of unrelated forums about all the riders that are complaining about riding in the heat because their bikes are cooking their legs, etc. I just needed to say that I've been riding to/from work through this heat wave, and although my ride in temps above 100 degrees are pretty hot, my Wee has still not complained or given me any heat problems. Just another reason to love the VStrom!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Isn't it a great bike!
I've actually had discussions lately with other riders about this.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
95' yesterday when I rode home from work and I took care to "notice" if there was any heat at all. I did notice a very small area of warmth around my ankles, but just barely noticable. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There isn't really any annoying heat from the bike. It is still warmer than my previous bike (Honday 919) just because it blocks more air. That is good much of the time but not in the heat of the summer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I once owned a Kawi ZG1000 Concours (the old one). That thing pumped out heat around the ankle/shin area that you wouldn't believe (unless you've ridden one in hot weather). So hot that it actually blistered the rubbery coating on the outside of one pair of boots I owned. So hot that it just about blistered my shins when I rode it in sneakers once on a hot day. On hot days, at speed, that big fairing carried a big bubble of warm air along behind it.

No, the V-Strom does not have that problem. I never really notice the engine heat on my Strom. It's very good in that regard. I still find 104 to be too hot for riding, though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have barely 70 here, but I really find I relax when it's hot and yes, I have ridden in 100 degrees - loved it.
Until I stopped.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
A member on my Concours forum, in Texas, said he received 1st degree burns on his legs from his ZG1400. I haven't rode either of my Harleys during this heat wave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Riding across Kansas to get home to Md, the thermometer on my dads Tenere was reading 125. I was getting warm around the ankles but that was it. I have been really happy with my Vee

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Bike's fine.
Me not so much.
I'm a confirmed ATGATT rider after a long LEO career.
It's too hot for that stuff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bike's fine.
Me not so much.
I'm a confirmed ATGATT rider after a long LEO career.
It's too hot for that stuff.
Repeat after me-- kevlar mesh, LD Comfort, Camelback...etc, etc :yesnod:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Can you be a little more specific, if you don't mind? I'm a confirmed ATGATT rider, too, and would do almost anything to come up with a jacket, for example, that would be cooler than my FirstGear mesh. I don't mind it so much when I'm moving but I'll go out of my way to avoid inching along in urban stop-and-go traffic and FORGET getting caught in the daily commuter parking lot on the area interstates. Gawd!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I've got the mesh jacket but I think matching mesh pants would be frowned upon in our area.
I'm also watching for a mesh helmet and boots.:thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can you be a little more specific, if you don't mind? I'm a confirmed ATGATT rider, too, and would do almost anything to come up with a jacket, for example, that would be cooler than my FirstGear mesh. I don't mind it so much when I'm moving but I'll go out of my way to avoid inching along in urban stop-and-go traffic and FORGET getting caught in the daily commuter parking lot on the area interstates. Gawd!
I have a Motoport kevlar mesh jacket. I LOVE it. Having tried a few other jackets by other manufacturers, I think Motorport might have a customer for life in me.

As far as LD Comfort goes, get the long-sleeve undergarment as well as the undershorts. I also have the helmet liner. Just soak them down and ride. It was very comfortable for me in 113 degree desert heat. Their stuff is a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. When it is wet, it acts like an evaporative cooler on your skin. Some folks will say that the garments dry out to quickly wearing a mesh jacket, but I found mine will stay wet for 2+ hours before needing to pour more water on them. And lest anybody think that wetting down a cotton shirt will achieve the same result, it won't. I tried it and it was nothing to write home about.

And finally, a Camelback with ice cold water. Not only will it keep you hydrated, but you can always use it to wet down the back of your neck or maybe the bandana that you might wear around your neck. Keeping the back of your neck cool is an easy way to feel cooler without going through gallons of water. The LD Comfort helmet liner will help with heat dissipation from your head.

Also, I did a little experiment with two helmets here, one all black and one all white. I let them sit out in the sun here for about two hours with a thermometer inside each of them. I could not discern a temperature difference between the two helmets after two hours. The exterior shell of the black helmet was definitely hotter to the touch, but inside under the foam--no difference in temps.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't notice any heat from my Wee. The ST1300 I had would cook you on 90+ days.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Motoport kevlar mesh jacket. I LOVE it. Having tried a few other jackets by other manufacturers, I think Motorport might have a customer for life in me.

As far as LD Comfort goes, get the long-sleeve undergarment as well as the undershorts. I also have the helmet liner. Just soak them down and ride. It was very comfortable for me in 113 degree desert heat. Their stuff is a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. When it is wet, it acts like an evaporative cooler on your skin. Some folks will say that the garments dry out to quickly wearing a mesh jacket, but I found mine will stay wet for 2+ hours before needing to pour more water on them. And lest anybody think that wetting down a cotton shirt will achieve the same result, it won't. I tried it and it was nothing to write home about.

And finally, a Camelback with ice cold water. Not only will it keep you hydrated, but you can always use it to wet down the back of your neck or maybe the bandana that you might wear around your neck. Keeping the back of your neck cool is an easy way to feel cooler without going through gallons of water. The LD Comfort helmet liner will help with heat dissipation from your head.

Also, I did a little experiment with two helmets here, one all black and one all white. I let them sit out in the sun here for about two hours with a thermometer inside each of them. I could not discern a temperature difference between the two helmets after two hours. The exterior shell of the black helmet was definitely hotter to the touch, but inside under the foam--no difference in temps.

Hope this helps.
I agree with the Motoport assessment. I'm saving my pennies and dream of the best. Some day...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've ridden my '07 Wee in some pretty darned hot temps in Idaho (90's to 100+ degrees) and never experienced a heat problem. In fact, the Wee is the only motorcycle I've had that hasn't given me issues with heat. Gotta love that bike.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've ridden my '07 Wee in some pretty darned hot temps in Idaho (90's to 100+ degrees) and never experienced a heat problem. In fact, the Wee is the only motorcycle I've had that hasn't given me issues with heat. Gotta love that bike.
DAT'S what ahm sayin!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in phoenix AZ and well we have four months that are miserable hot. then we have 8 months of paradise.

Right now im always riding in 100+ temps. My strom has a little heat on my right leg but not bad.

I ride everyday as my Vee is the only vehicle I own. Out here any jacket is just too much in the summer. I dont care how ventilated it is you wont notice the vents till the fall.

What I have found that works for me is an ICON regulator vest with the backplate and the ICON slip on arm guards. Yes i do have a couple of exposed areas but for the most part I am covered and I feel safe. When its hot out it dosent overheat you and well you dont feel like leaving it at home or stuffing it in my trunk like i would any jacket.

Plus: Cooler, good coverage, back plate, elbow and forearm skids, dont feel like your gonna have a heart attack.

Cons: Some exposed areas compared to a jacket.

I always wear a fullface no matter what but have adapated a rain, cold, and hot riding setup that keeps me confidently protected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Iceberg Vest

Fieldshear makes a vest that you can soak in ice water. I can ride for an hour in comfort. On my return home, I throw tap water on it. It works well. Only $30.00

1 - 20 of 20 Posts