StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning Gents:
I am moving to Costa Rica (rains 200 days a year, narrow roads, potholes). Currently own a 2015 650 vstrom.

Vstrom 1000 $19,500 naked will need to shed more $$ for fog lights, taller w/screen, bag attachments and engine protrction

Bmw F800GSA $20,000 just need to attach the bags... everything else comes with it.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/_common/img/bikes/enduro/2016/f800gsa/racingred/normal_1.jpg

Beemer is taller (tippytoes but can be loered) and protection is good, surely maintenance $$ is higher than the strom.

Haven't ridden either.... which one would you choose??:confused:

Cheers
Patrick

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,264 Posts
Under those conditions the BMW will really perform better. Don't assume maintenance costs are higher. I figure you will be doing all of that yourself down there anyway. Read the owners manuals for both bikes, do a bit of online research about stuff like checking valves, etc. and you might find there is little to no difference in that. The suspension on the BMW will be day vs night difference in rough terrain and it will be lighter as well. Fuel mileage may be a factor for you, check to see which is actually getting better mileage in your kind of riding.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I rode an 800 with the low seat and it is only 33.5 inches. The exact same as the V-Strom 1000. In your case I would prefer the 21" front.

How about a Honda Africa Twin? More off-roadish like the 800 but bullet-proof reliable and has an adjustable seat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have owned BMW motorcycles in the past, last one was a 2008 K1200S.
Great bikes, service is actually not more expensive then any other bike I have owned. Now, where the BMW falls down is getting service and parts. Finding a BMW Motorrad is not always easy, or seldom close by. Parts are not as readily available as the Japanese bikes. Also, you need to consider product quality. Suzuki quality is higher then BMW, by a large margin. All you have to do is look at the failure rates of BMW vs any of the Japanese manufacturers. BMW on the list of 10 biggest motorcycle companies ranked by percentage of product failures, BMW sits second last. Only Can-Am builds a lower quality motorcycle. All others, including Harley-Davidson, ranked much higher in product quality, with Yamaha at the top.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers, Wee is stayin in Ecuador until sold... bikes are much moRe expensive here so I would get $10 K of mine... which is half the price of a new one.
Will check maintenance.. there is a motorrad dealer in San José, I am sure is not cheap

Will try to get a practice ride on both to make final decision, and also,check the price of add-ons for the strom

Merry Christmas!!!!

Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Sounds like you will need either bike lowered. I lowered my Vstrom 1000 1" with Soupy adjustable lowering links, and it made a big difference. I have zero issues with handling. I am partial to the Suzuki, due to its' reliability. I don't think I would purchase a bike if there was no dealer within two hours of where I live.

The newest 800GS has a number of refinements that I am sure make it an even better bike. The GS is a better bike off road, but I have also seen the Vstrom do great things in the dirt. The Vstrom 1000 has evolved into a fantastic and reliable bike IMHO. I don't think you will go wrong either way. It may be a matter of which bike gets you excited.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
If you are not doing distance why not switch out to a KLR650. Bulletproof, cheap and lighter or even a Honda XL650.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A friend of mine just ditched a BMW F800. He found the motor was really buzzy at highway speeds. Something to consider.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
A friend of mine just ditched a BMW F800. He found the motor was really buzzy at highway speeds. Something to consider.
I have also read that the BMW is buzzy. That fact alone kills it, for me.
The Vee2 handles is very agile and will perform great on those narrow roads. Should you get out on the open road, the Vee2 is a great sport-tourer. Suspension, brakes, power, comfort, etc. all work together to make this a fantastic ride.
As you can see, my vote is for the Vee2!!

·
5,264 Posts
BMW 800's are parallel twins. There is a buzzy vibration, but not so much that it ruins the bikes. Super Tenere Yamahas have a buzz to them also, but no one really complains. Usually only mentioned at higher highway speeds.

The OP of the thread won't be riding under "highway" conditions much. Likely more unimproved roads than paved......

·
Registered
373 Posts
BMW 800's are parallel twins. There is a buzzy vibration, but not so much that it ruins the bikes. Super Tenere Yamahas have a buzz to them also, but no one really complains. Usually only mentioned at higher highway speeds.

The OP of the thread won't be riding under "highway" conditions much. Likely more unimproved roads than paved......

Ruined enough that my buddy ditched it for a Ducati...against my advice. The Ducati is a better built bike, but still, a Japanese bike would have been far better in terms of quality. To each his own.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I test rode both bikes and found the f800 a little wimpy in comparison. Same goes for the Africa Twin. The 1000 has more grunt and I never get to WOT with it. On the BMW and AT I was hitting the rev limiter more than I wanted. I bought the DL1000 and have been really happy with it.

Except for airing up the tires. But that's another story.

·
5,264 Posts
The DL 1000 engine is really good. Not surprised you like it better. I think the 90 degree V twin is a really good design for a bike. The large parallel twins might seem to have some packaging advantages, but having ridden both I will take the smooth running and good sound of the v twin over the parallel twin.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am looking for service outside of the San Jose (CR) metro area, in latin america this is a key part (currently living in Ecuador). I is more likely to get a Suzuki serviced than a BMW... usually needs towing to a Motorrad service center.

Oldman.. which rims do you have on the 1000?

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
I test rode both bikes and found the f800 a little wimpy in comparison. Same goes for the Africa Twin. The 1000 has more grunt and I never get to WOT with it. On the BMW and AT I was hitting the rev limiter more than I wanted. I bought the DL1000 and have been really happy with it.

Except for airing up the tires. But that's another story.
I just don't see the 1000 Strom having more grunt or being quicker than an AT, that Honda engine is one bad ass powerplant.

·
5,264 Posts
I just don't see the 1000 Strom having more grunt or being quicker than an AT, that Honda engine is one bad ass powerplant.
Have you ridden both? I just had a short ride on the AT. I think they are rated at about the same power. I have ridden a Super Tenere quite a bit. They are rated at more power than the DL 1000. I believe the DL 1000 is going to beat the Super Tenere and Africa Twin in a drag race every time from what I felt.

Yes the Super Tenere has good torque. It is a 1200! But it does not seem to have more than the DL 1000 at low and mid range. But, from what I felt of the AT and what I know about the Super Tenere, they just don't make power in the upper rpm's. Might as well short shift cause there ain't nothin left. The DL pulls to the redline. Hard. And if not mistaken it turns more rpm before redline.

Maybe I need to find a salvage Africa Twin and put a DL 1000 engine in it!

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Except for a small rpm range the AT is below the V-Strom on torque nearly across the spectrum. The V-Strom overpowers the AT at 3000-4500 rpm which gets the most use and on the top as well. I have ridden our local AT demo quite a few times. You can feel it on the low end.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts