StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a friends' DL1000 over the weekend. It was an interesting comparison to my 650.

Basically, we were up in the mountain roads, and we swapped bikes for about 20 miles. These were 2-lane, remote roads, with decent paving and very low traffic.

We didn't take the bikes to their max- go to the track if you're thinking of doing that. But here are the results of the road test.

My thoughts: the 1000 certainly has more power. It's noticeable, even with a single rider and no luggage. On the other hand, the 650 motor is smoother and doesn't have the chudder problem.

The DL650's adjustable windshield is amazingly nice. The plastic vents next to the gas tank filler certainly help with buffeting.

The weight is very similar. It isn't really noticeable on the street. The 1000 is a little taller, like others have mentioned.

His thoughts:

My friend was riding two-up, so he certainly noticed the lack of power on the 650. Also, he had to crank the preload all the way up (he's a tall guy, I'm a short lightweight guy). He noticed the 650 was crisper on turn-in, but that may be the difference in miles on the bikes too (his 1000 has 15k miles, mine had 100 miles).

So nothing too surprising. You all can make your own decisions on the relative merits of the bikes.

H

·
0 Posts
cool tedder, thanks - so did you notice any difference in the handling? Is the seat really lower? What's the difference in acceleration from a standing start? Thinking about planting the wife on a 650.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acceleration from a standing start:

I'd be shocked if the 1000 isn't faster. It only weighs ~60 pounds more than the 650. We didn't drag-race it though, not really our sort of thing.

The seat is definitely a touch lower. Not much though, and certainly higher than my old F650ST.

Handling is similar, the differences were more in the age of the 1000 and the differences in suspension setup.

R

·
0 Posts
Handling is similar, the differences were more in the age of the 1000 and the differences in suspension setup.
...and torque, for load carrying (e.g. passenger) :wink:

W

·
0 Posts
hux said:
Thinking about planting the wife on a 650.
The 650 is a great bike for smaller and lighter riders.

A buddy recently got himself a DL650. He's about 5'6" and about 150 pounds soaking wet with a 29" inseam.

To get the DL to fit him perfectly, he had Rich's Custom Saddles in Seattle make up a custom fitted, leather covered, saddle with a 3/4" thick gel pad. The new saddle dropped the seat height by about 1.5" to make it easier and more comfortable for him to put his legs down, while making it light years more comforable on long rides.

The DL650 was a fantastic choice for him and his DL650 has a lighter and more responsive feel. Could it be the difference of about 120 pounds or so in gross vehicle weight between our two bikes? <grin>

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got Rich's seat on mine, too. He scooped out a bunch of foam, but added bolsters at the sides, which means it feels the same height.

Adding Seth's lowering links, and then lowering the front end, really made a difference. I've got ~500mi on my DL650, and am very happy with the height.

Oh, I'm 5'8", 150lbs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I test rode the DL650 and had ridden a 1000 for two seasons.

Here's what I noticed:

Guy's on the 650's have been saying that the seats are firm. I can see why because there is less thickness of foam in the 650 then the 1000. If you push your finger into the 650's seat you can feel the pan.
I found maybe because of this the pegs felt closer to the seat. This was my only grip with the bike. The 1000 doesn't bend your knee's as much.

The non-hydralic clutch lever works great on the 650. The 1000 is more of a firmer pull. Transmission is typical smooth shifting on both bikes.

The suspension is good on the 650, but still soft and wallowy just like big brother. I'm 240lbs. The lighter wieght of the 650 makes for a fun and nimble ride. Very flickable. The 1000 can be a little cumbersome in the city.

The brakes are of the same type on each bike. The 1000 can slide the front tire if you brake hard and I feel could use a bit more power. With the 1000's larger mass you have a longer braking distance then the 650. The 650 will actually lift the rear wheel off the ground when braking hard. The setup works great on the 650. The rear brake on both bikes almost works too well and can use the brake pedal to be adjusted so that less force can be applied to prevent lock ups.

Tire sizes are the same on both bikes.

650's Engine: What a great tone the bike makes. This poor demo bike had not even been broken in 200km. Hard to ride the bike around 4000rpm.
I felt the sweet spot was 6000rpm. Does this motor spin freely or what, fast reving. When you flick the throttle the torque is not instantanious. Just doesn't have the tourque to raise the front wheel unless you really pushed it. Takes about 1 sec to get going. You can drop it down into lower gears and not have to worry about the engine compression braking. The bike picks up speed fairly quickly and can easily hit its top out speed. The 650 is a very forgiving motor.

1000's just more of a beast or brute then the 650. The bike will easily wheely. The torque in this motor is impressive, snap the throttle and hold on. It's a good thing they pimpled the seat up because on my smooth 02 seat you would slide back when the throutle was cranked. You have to be careful with the engine compression braking when shifting down or the motor will easily lock up the rear tire. I found the power compareable to a GSXR 1000 in its mid range. Both bikes just do not have the power on the top end. The real power starts at 5000rpm to its 1000rpm less then the 650 redline.

I feel for my weight the 650 is a great commuter, and light weight tourer.
Really shines in the city and cannon carving with its light weight, nimbleness and exceptional brakes. Both bikes because of there long wheel bases are a bit of work in slow speed corners. Engine is smooth like silk. Probably a little under powered for two up riding or full blowen carry everything but the kitchen sink.

The 1000 can be a bit of a brute in the city. Has a longer stopping distance
because of its gurth. The power surge is addictive. When you crank the throttle the power surge is instant. One of the cheapest full blown tourers.
Can be fully loaded with a passenger and still kick butt.

Both bikes are excellent, it just depends on what purpose you will use them for. The 650 being $2000 less then the 1000 and with cheaper insurance rates is very tempting.

Scooter

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'am having a real problem deciding beween the 650 & 1000.

The first thing is I have Dark Blue Luggage from the 1000 if I buy another Dark Blue 1000 it will match. It will look a little different on the ocean blue or the silver. Plus I will have to modify the rack for it to fit.

I guess I will have to sell the centerstand if I buy the 650.

When I test rode the 650 I liked it. I would like to have cheaper insurance then the 1000 and the $2000 less expense to buy one.

What I'am going to try next is too test ride the 650 with a passenger. This will give me a good idea which bike I will choose.

I think the 650 would be a safer bike to ride in the city because of its lighter weight and excellent brakes. Although, the torque of the 1000 got me out of trouble a couple of times. The 650 is also a better choice for off road because of its lighter weight. I would probably take the 650 places I wouldn't take the 1000 off road. I'am torn between these two bikes.
The multipurpose use of these bikes makes it a hard decision.

How is the 650 with a passenger ? I weigh 240lbs.

Scooter

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is the 650 with a passenger ? I weigh 240lbs.

It isn't too bad with a passenger. I haven't tried fully-loaded with a passenger- still waiting for the Givi racks to ship from Italy.

My wife and I hardly ever ride two-up. She's got her own bike for a reason :) If we are riding two-up, it's because we are headed downtown to see a game or concert, and don't want to pay twice for parking.

On the other hand, when I'm riding two-up we don't weigh too much more than you alone, so it's probably not a fair comparison.

P

·
0 Posts
I really like my DL-650, but I keep finding my thoughts wandering to the DL-1000,,,mainly because about 2 weeks after I got the 650, my brother let me take his Hayabusa-1300 for a ride,,and the power on that thing is unreal,,,,very unreal...and I'm a admitted power addict :oops: and have been seriously thinking of going back to the dealership and finding out what i could do tradewise for a -1000 . Thnx for the info Tedder and Scooter and a-one else too , given more to think about,,,oh,,I take back the thnx ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have made my mind up to go with the DL650. Just test road one with a passenger, he wieghed 160lbs and again I weigh 240lbs. The bike still seems to have enough juice for my needs. One of the deciding factors was the cost savings from the 1000. I will save $3000. Cnd and $60.00 a month in insurance. I felt both bikes had to be modified for my needs. The first alteration will be to the seat. Second will be the suspension. My Kappa bags from my 1000 will be a little large on the bike, but I like to carry lots of gear when touring/camping.

I'm considering if I should get the extended warranty. Cost $900. Cnd. I have a feeling I will be stressing the bike more then the 1000.

After extensive research I fell the 650 will be a good bike for me.
Oh! I'm going for the Ocean Blue, sold in Cnd. My Dark Blue Kappa Bags will kind of match. Concerned about the silver finish one of how to protect it. You can just wax the Blue one.

Scooter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts