StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the rear shock spring with a stiffer one? I have an 05 - 1000 and typically ride two up (340lb combined) and with gear (75 to 100lbs) and the way the bike is currently setup (with preload maxed out) the bike has way to much sag and has even bottomed out on occasion. So I have tried to find specs or details on the stock spring. The dealer and several aftermarket folks have no idea what is on there (that is odd)....and therfore, I can not replace the spring with a stiffer one. I can not see any info printed or stamped on the spring.

Is anyone else having any issues with overloading the rear shock?

Has anyone replaced the rear spring? Or Shock?

Any help would be apprecaited
Cheers
Steven

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can buy a stiffer replacement spring for the OEM shock from Wilbers. Although I forget the stiffness units, the stock spring is an 87 and the Wilbers replacement is a 103. The spring works on both the 650 and 1000.

I just ordered the spring for my Wee Strom and it's somewhere between NJ and Pittsburgh as I type. Here is the info:

Klaus Huenecke @ Wilbers USA
877-786-6543
[email protected]

Wilbers Part #: 496-011-00
Price: $105 + $10 shipping

·
Registered
961 Posts
boxxer151 the Wilbers site is Wilbersusa.com they are not cheap, mine has height adjustment, high and low rebound, preload and remote preload adjustments. One beautiful unit but was about $900, I love it, completely changed the bike. Look at Ducuti and other high end bikes they all have the premium componets, it does make a big differance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I went with Penske from Traxxion Dynamics. The proper spring and valving make a big difference.

I also changed fork springs and added Gold valves. I need to try a different oil tho. Much improved over stock.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Has anyone tried or heard anything about a "HyperPro USA"kit that contains both fork and shock springs? Want to upgrade suspension (not replace shock just yet) or should I just by the shock spring from Wilbers and the fork springs from Sonic as I am not too crazy about progressive springs and prefer straight wound springs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
qixilver said:
Has anyone tried or heard anything about a "HyperPro USA"kit that contains both fork and shock springs? Want to upgrade suspension (not replace shock just yet) or should I just by the shock spring from Wilbers and the fork springs from Sonic as I am not too crazy about progressive springs and prefer straight wound springs.
I had a HyperPro "Combi" kit on my Triumph Sprint RS. It was a nice improvement over stock, but I'm not sold on progressive versus linear after the experience. The ride was still a bit soft most of the time but harsh over sharp bumps. That's mostly a function of the compromised damping you get with el cheapo suspension (like comes on the Wee Strom).

FWIW, I'm going with a Wilbers linear spring for the rear and linear Sonic Springs for the front on my Wee Strom. The shock spring is on and I hope to do the forks this weekend sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts