StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have recently rolled over 1000 km and was looking at the required maintenance for this interval.

1. Throttle play, it suggest 4mm max I believe, mine is more in the range of 8-10mm. Is this the amount of forward and back play your throttle has while sitting without pulling the cable (free play?)

2. Throttle valve synchronization..... what is this? Why does it have a * beside it?

3. exhaust and chassis bolts. Anyone have the torque specs on these? Know of a manual that has them?

·
Registered
600 Posts
When I had my Wee several years ago, the throttle had lots of play as delivered and was somewhat snatchy.
I took almost all of the play out to about 1 or 2 mm and all was good after that.
I don't know why lots of bikes are delivered with so much play in the cables.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
When I had my Wee several years ago, the throttle had lots of play as delivered and was somewhat snatchy.
I took almost all of the play out to about 1 or 2 mm and all was good after that.
I don't know why lots of bikes are delivered with so much play in the cables.
Could someone let us know how to check and correct for excessive throttle play?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the shop manual. The throttle valve synchronization at 1000km is only required on California bikes. The procedure requires the use of the Suzuki Diagnostic System to open a setup function on the ECM. Then the primary throttle stops are adjusted to get an equal vacuum at 1200 RPM. The last step is to trigger a "Relearn" function via the SDS. Probably 1-1/2 hour shop procedure, a lot of which is to strip off trim/tank/air filter etc to get at the intakes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hellcat, Does it mention the torque specs for exhaust and chassis bolts? What company makes the manual?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
adjusted my throttle slack today, like hellcat said, it makes a big difference. Not sure why they come off the floor with such a crazy amount of play, have mine down to around 3 mm now feels a lot better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hellcat, Does it mention the torque specs for exhaust and chassis bolts? What company makes the manual?
The manual is the official Suzuki piece,...expensive at ~$150. Has extensive torqueing data on almost every fastener.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I also adjusted the throttle free play, easy to do. I haven't ridden it yet though.
I also installed mirror extenders, real easy to do. I will ride tomorrow to see if both mods are helpful.

I was about to chime in on how easy the first oil change was, until I found the crush washer was stuck on the drain plug! Through perseverance, I was able to remove it, and all was good. Otherwise, all was easy.:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The stock crush washer will always be stuck to the drain plug. That's handy because it will work there for the next 6+ oil changes and save you $3 on crush washers. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stuck Crush Washer

I also adjusted the throttle free play, easy to do. I haven't ridden it yet though.
I also installed mirror extenders, real easy to do. I will ride tomorrow to see if both mods are helpful.

I was about to chime in on how easy the first oil change was, until I found the crush washer was stuck on the drain plug! Through perseverance, I was able to remove it, and all was good. Otherwise, all was easy.:thumbup:
I had the same problem. First oil change I left it on. Second change and it took me ten minutes to unscrew that washer off the plug. You are right though, it is very easy job. Changing the oil & filter is a breeze! Thinking that might not be the case when it comes time to change the air filter. Lots of plastic and fuel tank gotta come off to get to filter. Not much different than other bikes but still a small pain in the backside.

FastLane

·
Registered
196 Posts
My bike had a lot of play also ,I readjusted it per owners manual not so jerky now works fine after aprox a 4 or 5 mm adjustment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dealer said he would set the suspension sag for me on the front and back this Saturday at the shop of free. I shall have them set the throttle play as well high should be part of the prep......you'd think.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was about to chime in on how easy the first oil change was, until I found the crush washer was stuck on the drain plug! Through perseverance, I was able to remove it, and all was good. Otherwise, all was easy.:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I've never changed the washer on the 3 650's I've owned, on one of them probably 30 oil changes, never had a leak or any problems.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I've never changed the washer on the 3 650's I've owned, on one of them probably 30 oil changes, never had a leak or any problems.[/QUOTE]
Now you tell me!:headbang:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an '05 Vee. I can sync the throttle bodies in minutes. Sounds like the TBS needs to be done by the dealer on the new unit. How much of the maintenance can be done by the owner?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have an '05 Vee. I can sync the throttle bodies in minutes. Sounds like the TBS needs to be done by the dealer on the new unit. How much of the maintenance can be done by the owner?

Why do you say the new bike sync has to be done by the dealer?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 34 Posts