StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys please I need some advice:

Yesterday I went to Action motorcycle in the city where I bought my 650, and ask the workshop guy for some estimates for my next "BIG service"

-change OEM to .9kg springs (I have from sonic springs) and fork oil (I don't have) just this he said it would take 3 hours to drain the forks ans install spring. I have seen non professional v-strom fellow brothers doing the swap in 1.5 hours in their own sheeds.

-Install fork brace (I have from Rick)

-18 000 KM service (oil, sparks, air filter .... I don't have) He explain me something that have to be done and is not just the common service but didn't get it and is not valve clearance.

-Install new brake pads front wheel (I have from SV)

-Install new brake lines (I have from SV)

-Install new accelerators and clutch cables (I don't have)

-Install Rox Handlebar riser (I have from ebay)

He said that it would take almost a full day so it was going to be $ 1000 bucks for parts and labor I am VIP in the shop so is "just" $100 per hour, of course without the parts that I HAVE

AM I BEEN RIPPED OFF ?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :argue:

Or here in AU we just paid mechanics more than doctors :thumbdown:

·
Registered
588 Posts
How-to's are posted for a reason, use 'em!!! Truthfully, other than the fork springs, everything is basic maintenance type installs. I have faith in you, you can handle it. :hurray:

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can change the oil, oil filter air filter yourself, just buy the parts, I haven't done it, but I can't see it being that difficult to change the brake pads. The maintenance says spark plug changes at 12K and 24K. The fork brace you can put on yourself. Maybe someone in your area can help with changing the fork springs. Maybe it's the every 2 years coolant and brake fluid change~? The throttle and clutch cable change is this just something you want~? The brake lines every 4 years. Risers you should be able to do yourself I would have to believe. Saves you a lot..just throwing it out there. Good luck~!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sounds about right. On a quick calculation it would take me to about 7hrs labour to do all that, especially with the ABS bleeding for the new lines plus you have to add the high cost of the new cables. I'd say the extra part of the service would be the coolant change as mentioned above, but with only 18K at 2 years, I'd give it a miss. It's all pretty straightforward stuff once you get the plastics off, but if you don't have the space or the tools to do it yourself then the price is fair. Maybe you can get a few guys to have a tech day with in someone's garage as a grand buys a lot of beer and pizza.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Springs & fork oil -- 3 hours charge is theft
Fork brace -- just a few minutes
Oil & filter -- easy
Spark plugs & air filter -- takes a bit of time, but the same removals. Be sure they aren't charging you twice to remove the same parts.
Brake pads -- Why? In any case, easy
Brake hose -- pain in the butt; this takes some time
Cables -- Why?...for the riser?--are longer cables needed?
Handlebar riser -- easy

Yes, they're crooks. I could do all that in less than a day, and I'm no pro, that's for sure.

Find a local strom rider who's good with the work and buy them lots of beer -after- the work has been done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh I forgot to add..Rome wasn't built in a day, and I doubt if any of these needs to be done exactly at 18K.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
CHINOTAKER,

have u been rip off from a business point of view? probably not. They would would taken close to a whole day to do it. Is it value for money for you - definitely not.

Essentially aside from the normal servcing and fork oil change, brake line and handlebar raiser installation is not a standard job. Unless they regularly do that for vstrom, they have no idea what potential issue u would run into and may have priced u accordingly. This is probably why they suggest replacing clutch and throttle cables as well because they felt the raiser would required that, whereas many who have done this knows otherwise.

It's always expensive to get someone else to do the job in a country where the labour rate is high (rightly or wrongly).

strongly suggest u get a manual and read the procedures yourself and get assistance of someone who knows what to do, so you can get help and/or watch and learn. The skills and satisfaction you get from doing it yourself is priceless. And the frustration and agony until you got it done is an adventure in itself.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys !

How-to's are posted for a reason, use 'em!!! Truthfully, other than the fork springs, everything is basic maintenance type installs. I have faith in you, you can handle it. :hurray:
Hey dude I really appreciate your words. :hurray:

Are you doing a wheelie in your pic?

You can change the oil, oil filter air filter yourself, just buy the parts, I haven't done it, but I can't see it being that difficult to change the brake pads. The maintenance says spark plug changes at 12K and 24K. The fork brace you can put on yourself. Maybe someone in your area can help with changing the fork springs. Maybe it's the every 2 years coolant and brake fluid change~? The throttle and clutch cable change is this just something you want~? The brake lines every 4 years. Risers you should be able to do yourself I would have to believe. Saves you a lot..just throwing it out there. Good luck~!!
you are right he mention something about the brake fluid when I explain the need for new brake lines to put the risers.

Sounds about right. On a quick calculation it would take me to about 7hrs labour to do all that, especially with the ABS bleeding for the new lines plus you have to add the high cost of the new cables. I'd say the extra part of the service would be the coolant change as mentioned above, but with only 18K at 2 years, I'd give it a miss. It's all pretty straightforward stuff once you get the plastics off, but if you don't have the space or the tools to do it yourself then the price is fair. Maybe you can get a few guys to have a tech day with in someone's garage as a grand buys a lot of beer and pizza.

Yes I got new brake lines from SVracing. the parts they are charging i guess is just oil, fork oil, sparks, air filter, coolant, DOT4 and $900 in labour

Springs & fork oil -- 3 hours charge is theft
Fork brace -- just a few minutes
Oil & filter -- easy
Spark plugs & air filter -- takes a bit of time, but the same removals. Be sure they aren't charging you twice to remove the same parts.
Brake pads -- Why? In any case, easy
Brake hose -- pain in the butt; this takes some time
Cables -- Why?...for the riser?--are longer cables needed?
Handlebar riser -- easy

Yes, they're crooks. I could do all that in less than a day, and I'm no pro, that's for sure.

Find a local strom rider who's good with the work and buy them lots of beer -after- the work has been done.
Do they charge the same in America? like a $100 pero hour of labour?

Thank you guys for the replies, got to add that I park on the street. Although I have done some mods myself like pro taper hi bars and brake and clutch levers. While drinking beer. at night with a front torch. There's no light on my street.

I find the idea of having to hang the front of my bike to a tree to do the front fork mod in the middle of the night with a fron torch very funny. but possible once the beers start flowing. :biggrinjester:

Love this forum, LOVE MY WEEE

If I don't post anymore maybe I did try to do it all myself and failed :green_lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
DYI

Hi,

Purchased a new 2011 Wee in July. Fitted handlebar raisers in 10 minutes and fork brace in 5. SV racing front brake extender brake line took me about an hour (there is a good thread on here with pictures showing how to fit) including bleeding brakes which was first time I had done it.

My theory is to read up and prepare for fitting accessories and have a go yourself. If you stuff up, you can always ask for professional help.

Bike servicing costs a lot because of the big overheads of dealers and high profit margin.

Rick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someday

Someday I will have a proper garage and do all my mods there :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I will invite you guys so we can all come and "fix" our toys there away from the wifes

:hurray:

"My wife is pretty and cool PRETTYCOOL, but that doesn't mean I don't want a shed"

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Rod Hunwick needs to be kept in the millionaire lifestyle he enjoys somehow.

Get another quote from a service centre that provides real prices not rubbish inflated prices.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
About double I would say. The hourly rate alone is more than I pay at a franchise dealership to get my European car serviced.

As mentioned elsewhere most of the stuff isn't difficult or time consuming to do yourself and a professional mechanic should whiz through it quickly with one hand tied behind his back.

Why do you need new clutch and throttle cables? I don't recall anybody having to change them as a result of fitting risers.

Why do you need new brake pads at 18k? I know that you need new lines for the risers but if the pads aren't u/s then leave the ones you have in place and replace them when they are worn out. You are wasting money by changing them before they need to be done. Changing the brake lines and pads should be no more than a hours work for a mechanic anyway. I did mine with Glitch in his garage earlier this year and it didn't take much longer than that even allowing for all the talking and eating lunch that was going on at the same time.

I can't recall anybody changing plugs at 18k. If you don't have a reason to I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That figure sounds about right for the labour at a dealership,, they are paying for overheads, wages, superanuation, qualifications, training, insurance, waste removal etc etc. Most dealerships will garuntee their work so you are also paying a premium for that as well.

I am in the process of doing most of what you have listed myself, it does take some time....you may also need to get cable extensions plus the longer brake line to reach once the bar risers are on.

I am not a qualified mechanic but by taking my time + forum reading + reading a service manual all those jobs are not difficult, as well as this forum, youtube has some good "how to" videos for brake pad changes and basic maintainence procedures, the only extra tool I had to buy was a longer phillips head screwdriver to reach the front clamp holding the airbox on !

Of course if you dont have the tools or time you will be paying premium price at most large workshops, a smaller workshop local bike mechanic may give you a better quote.

+1 on not needing the plug changes earlier than in the service manual, change coolant & brake fluid all as specified intervals. although with new brake lines I would use new fluid too!

good luck

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
although with new brake lines I would use new fluid too!
If you change the lines you have no option than other to put in new fluid. Once you take it out (unless you are in a sterile dust and humidity free room) it's contaminated and shouldn't be reused.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here is the DL1000 maintenance schedule. The DL650 is very similar.

I agree that you can do all the work yourself.
I would get a dealer to do the tappets for the 24,000km service but even for this service I would do the rest myself.

I would break the work up and do the 18k service (oil, filter and air filter), the fork springs and fork brace in one session.
I have a hydralic jack to support the front while you remove the forks.
The fork brace is a quick job and will make a noticable difference to the handling.

You need to purchase;
3 litres oil
Suzuki oil filter
Suzuki air filter
1 litre of fork oil (I have unopened 1 litre bottle of Belray 10 grade for $20 if you want it)

Hold the sparkplugs (unless you have a problem) and replace them at 24k.

I can offer workshop space and tools. Only thing is I am away this weekend.
Let me know if you are interested

PS Most likely the other thing the workshop was going to do was a TPS (throttle position sensor adjust) and TBS (throttle body sync).
Not a big job but probably allow 1.5 hours the first time you do it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
CHINO,please don't fall into the farkle syndrome,the fork brace should be mandatory-10 minute install and then notice the difference amazing,don't modify the bike from what you read here as gospel,your riding style should dictate that,oil change and filter and ride it--ride the thing,every chance you get on a nice day/rainy day--go for a ride,enjoy.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Well this is the problem there is not $1000 worth of work there to be done and consider they will not be using top of the line race mechanics to do it .Then they are charging you $1000 for 8 hours not ten hours so that's $120 an hour.

Do it yourself
Oil change and filter 1/2 hour
Unless you have been doing lots of dirt the airfilter should be fine as well as the plugs leave them to about 24,000klms
Front Brakes: Clean them up .Pads should be about 1/3 worn .Clean the disc with spray on brake cleaning fluid and a cheep green scourer pad that you can by a packet of for $2 at Coles .Then wipe down with a clean rage . Clean pads with scourer and brake cleaning fluid ,then a clean rage , lubricate pin if required withsuitable grease ( small packet from supercheep about $3)

Fit fork brace 15 minutes ( while oil drains out ).
Fit front springs one side at a time, do not worry about fork oil till you are happy with springs wich takes about 2000klms to settle in about 3/4 hour
Fitt rox riser then see if you need the longer brake lines (you probably need to do it )You should not need longer clucth & accererator cable .
call it 1/2day for all of it .

The rest you can do at another time

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I assumed that the $1000 included parts and labour and when my two brothers who were top line race mechanics were working at Action they weren't being paid like top line race mechanics that's for sure regardless of what they were being charged out at.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts