StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 1000 Adventure. Trying to do as much research as possible. Looks like a very nice bike and I'm sure every bike will have issues. I'm reading about throttle body popping off, luggage boxes not being waterproof and stator rotor problems. Is this bike worthy or not? I really want to give it a try but not if its going to let me down. Previous owner of 3 BMWs but expensive to maintain. Want something easier on the wallet for a while. Thanks for any input.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Lots of these bikes never have problems... I have never had a T/B pop off, my bags have never leaked, they are just an odd shape to pack... 1 Stator was replaced at 50.000 miles (ish).... Did do a TBS replace once.... That cured all the running issues..... I say go ride the thing.... No bike is perfect...................:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ok guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 1000 Adventure. Trying to do as much research as possible. Looks like a very nice bike and I'm sure every bike will have issues. I'm reading about throttle body popping off, luggage boxes not being waterproof and stator rotor problems. Is this bike worthy or not? I really want to give it a try but not if its going to let me down. Previous owner of 3 BMWs but expensive to maintain. Want something easier on the wallet for a while. Thanks for any input.
I have over 60,000 miles on my 2009, other than chains and tires, I have done the stator at about 50,000 miles.

Prettty reliable machine, it has been my daily commute for almost 3 years now...

For the record, my factory boxes have never leaked, I had a loose throttle body once which I tightened while changing the air filter, no big deal.

and also, I pound the crap out of it off road every chance I get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adventure 1000

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, just what I needed to hear. I will be buying the extended warranty too as its a nice piece of mind. The 0% financing for 5 years makes this bike especially attractive. I had planned on adding the taller windshield, heated grips, center stand and tank protector. Any other add-on accessories suggested??? I"m REALLY looking for some sort of pad to attach to the rear trunk for the passenger to rest against. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have replaced 2 stators,1 at 13,000 miles and 1 at 35,000 miles.I have had more electrical issues with this bike than any of the the other 50 plus I have owned.With that said some of the problems were my fault ( I think??.)but I have enjoyed riding it and will continue for many years to come.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
yes definately a worthy ride

I've a 2007 Vee and have put 94,000km on it. I do, or have done for me, the proper maintenance and have no worries about going on a long distance trips. It's as reliable as any car I've owned. For what it's worth I'm 60.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up my 2012 adventure about three weeks ago so I can't speak from longevity but I am very satisfied. Only 300 miles due to the fickle weather. The 0 for 60 months was a no brainer but I would take a long look at the extended warranty before pulling the trigger on that. I did not go with it because the list of excluded items was just about everything that I would want covered.
I just added Admore lighting to the trunk box and handguards which look and work great. The mirror extenders made a big difference with rear visability.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my 1000 and so far I love it. Had a FJR previously. My wife says the V Strom is more comfortable than the FJR. While the FJR would walk on the Strom, I love the tourque and the lighter weight. The jury will be out for a while but, so far so good! Just wishing for warmer weather here in the northeast!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Safety wire the TB to the trailing cylinder ( theirs 2 holes for the valve cover gasket alignment) for piece of mind. Leading TB never comes off.

I rode allot on dirt / wash board roads and the TB can vibrate off or with a poorly tuned motor back fire through TB can blow it off.

I love my 1k, I'd like to take a 650 for a spin someday to see how they feel.

Low mileage used for 5k and under! can't go wrong and don't pay for new w/ depreciation the minute you ride it out the door!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2934369932.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put the Madstad adjustable windshield, very happy. Oxford heated grips, barkbuster storm, and the sargent seat. I also put a Shad rear box, with a back rest, cheaper than Givi. I love my Vee.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I run the adjustable madstad tall screen and changed to Triumph mirrors as they can hit the screen on full lock or if dropped. I bought the Bestem top box and it comes with a backrest. You just need to get the mount right so its still comfortable for the pillion. I said good bye to my BMW for the vee and my wallet has become much heavier for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
confused about the extended warranty, The dealer is making it sound like its bumper to bumper with no deductibles? What isn't covered besides wearable parts like chain, sprockets, tires, brake pads and the like?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
adventure 1000

Anything wrong with the Suzuki heated grips? I was hoping to get as much add ons as feasible so the 0% financing takes care of it all. I will however opt for that Givi taller windshield as I am very spoiled by the power adjustable I had on my K1200 LT BMW and a better shield was keep my passenger happier! Is the Givi still adjustable manually like the stock shield? The luggage comes with the Adventure so I will have to go with it, but still trying to figure out a way to pad that rear trunk for the passenger, looks uncomfy

·
Registered
386 Posts
confused about the extended warranty, The dealer is making it sound like its bumper to bumper with no deductibles? What isn't covered besides wearable parts like chain, sprockets, tires, brake pads and the like?
Personally I never buy any extended protection programs... they are not worth it. And based on what I read from the Suzuki website on their SEP program, I think you had better get all the details in writing before you sign up for it:

"Suzuki’s Extended Protection (SEP) program, an extension warranty program in addition to your standard Suzuki Manufacturers Warranty, covers some parts and labor, gives you towing and rental coverage, and is transferrable from owners. The SEP program does not have any mileage restrictions on new units."

Why the hell don't they specify what is or is not covered?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts