StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the day of picking up my bike comes closer ,im wondering about traveling at the speed limit in top gear,my xrl was not happy in top gear at 80 klm as was lugging [geared it down to 14 tooth and made it better]now my local roads are 100 and 90 [klm] on the transcanada[i just got a $368 ticket in my honda civic at low rpm in 5th] so will i be able too cruise at 90 and 100 kmph in 6th gear or will the bike be lugging[dont want too do that on break in ]will i have too ride home in 5th gear too avoid lugging and still not exceed the speed limit by more than 10 klmph[100 klmph] is the sweet spot for cruiseing in 6 th more than 100? that big fine makes me concider getting a 14 tooth sprocket, or can you just criuse in 5th at 90 to100 klmph, im hopeing that you can go fairly slow in 6th as traveling in 5th would be something one realy wouldnt be able too doo

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
On the 650 100kph is around 4600 rpm in 6th. The bike is happy to do that but more comfortable in 5th. The bike is sweetest with the revs over 5000rpm IMO.
Having said that if I was on a straight road and just wanting to get from here to there top gear at 100kph wouldn't worry me.
Don't forget that the speedo will register up to 10% fast so an indicated 100 is really only something like 93-95.
If you think your cops are rough we get 3kph allowance here regardless of the posted limit. If you are doing 113 in a 110 zone that's it - fine and demerit points. Likewise if you are doing 63 in a 40 the same fine and same demerit points apply. We also now have cameras that track the AVERAGE speed between two locations on several freeways. If your AVERAGE between the cameras is +3kph over the limit guess what you get in the mail.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We also now have cameras that track the AVERAGE speed between two locations on several freeways. If your AVERAGE between the cameras is +3kph over the limit guess what you get in the mail.
YIKES!!!!

I would have lost my license a long time ago! They tried the roadside cameras here for a while but there was so many complaints about them (and they got vandalized) that they took them off the roads. Now all we have are red light cameras.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
On my 650, 4500 rpm in 6th = 90 kmh as indicated by GPSr while the speedo shows about 98 kmh.

The engine seems OK at that speed but gearing down is sometimes necessary for passing.

At 100 kmh (as per the GPSr) the engine is turning over at about 5k rpm which is just about perfect.

The LEO's here in Northern Ontario don't *generally* get too excited until you exceed +10 over the limit.

- Martin

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have a 16T front sprocket on my Wee. I have cruised at 140kph indicated (in NB) for long periods of time, no sweat.

At 120 she sounds very happy.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Okay, I'll back away and keep my 1000 experience to myself.

You might just pop something about a 650 in your signature line. It makes it much easier when people are looking to answer your questions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Geez

On the 650 100kph is around 4600 rpm in 6th. The bike is happy to do that but more comfortable in 5th. The bike is sweetest with the revs over 5000rpm IMO.
Having said that if I was on a straight road and just wanting to get from here to there top gear at 100kph wouldn't worry me.
Don't forget that the speedo will register up to 10% fast so an indicated 100 is really only something like 93-95.
If you think your cops are rough we get 3kph allowance here regardless of the posted limit. If you are doing 113 in a 110 zone that's it - fine and demerit points. Likewise if you are doing 63 in a 40 the same fine and same demerit points apply. We also now have cameras that track the AVERAGE speed between two locations on several freeways. If your AVERAGE between the cameras is +3kph over the limit guess what you get in the mail.
I remember this program taking place after I left but I did mot know it was so ORWELLIAN in the application. I am not totally against photo radar given the proper use (high ratio accident zones) but as a general tool, I don't know. Imagine using a quiet country road and being 3 kph over the limit (for the yanks thats 1.87 mph over) crazy.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The motor gets happy with torque at 4k. You can feel it get eager about then. No worries. Check out the dyno chart below.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Went for a 350km scoot today to check rpm vs speed on my Wee

100kph = 4250ish rpm

140kph = 6000 rpm

If you want any other speed/rpm readings, I may have to go for a longer ride yet.... ;)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I generally travel at 110 KPH (correct spedometer face) which is 5500 rpm in 6th. I will force myself to go slower for a bit on the way home tonight and see what 100 KPH reads in rpm in 5th and 6th
Around here if you travel at 100 you might get run over. 90 is just asking for it.

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
If I recall correctly, 5000 rpm on the stock Wee gearing is just a hair above 100 kph real speed.

..Tom

Went for a 350km scoot today to check rpm vs speed on my Wee

100kph = 4250ish rpm

140kph = 6000 rpm

If you want any other speed/rpm readings, I may have to go for a longer ride yet.... ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Dug out my old Magellan GPS 2000. Its basically useless to use on bike as far as navigating goes, but will use it to check my speedo and see just how far it is out.

In a way, its kinda nice to think you're doin 120, but the police just pass you by because ur really only doing about 110ish.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
On my ride home from work last night I was doing 100 KPH most of the way. In 6th gear that was exactly 5000 rpm in 5th it was about 5700 rpm. I tested the new speedometer face at that speed using a GPS several times so I feel pretty confident it is accurate.
I generally find my WeeStrom likes to run in the 5500-6000 range. From about 4000 on though it pulls pretty good for passing. 5th gear is recommended if you want to pass in a hurry at that rpm.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I did a GPS run today, here are my findings:

100 indicated = 93kph
110 indicated = 103
120 indicated = 112
130 indicated = 120
140 indicated = 128

Funny tho, 50kph indicated was pretty much 50 actual speed

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did a GPS run today, here are my findings:

100 indicated = 93kph
110 indicated = 103
120 indicated = 112
130 indicated = 120
140 indicated = 128

Funny tho, 50kph indicated was pretty much 50 actual speed

Cheers!
thanx for the info,i steady increase in differance as speeds increase,i wonder if the tach is acurate as well as i read about the yamaha r 6 showing 18,000 rpm when it is realy quite less,when you accelerate hard do you shift at 10,500 or less,i see it has peak hp at 9,000 ,is there a rev limiter,have you had it kick in

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Yes, the Wee has a soft limiter, and yes, I have often hit it.

Going for a longer ride today, will check the accuracy of the odometer using GPS.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Did a long run today to check the odometer against the GPS.

The odometer is about 2% out (on the optomistic side)

this confirms those KM checks you find on Canadian highways.

Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts