StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an extremely cold ride in to work tomorrow morning. Dry, no precip last week, only exhaust condensation to slick roads. This would almost make a full rounder(http://www.yearroundriders.com). Question is, who else is riding, and what do you think is necessary for a short ride in such cold temps?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Brass balls and a camera are requirements.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Brass balls and a camera are requirements.

Holy crap please tell me those are not jeans your wearing. I can can't even wear my mesh pants without the liners below 45f!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Holy crap please tell me those are not jeans your wearing. I can can't even wear my mesh pants without the liners below 45f!
Jeans and long johns. I look like a werewolf though, so I've got natural insulation.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Your all freakin nuts!!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
10°F is cold yes. I haven't ridden that cold... I've ridden into the mid-20s, but nothing colder than that. If you're dressed for it and the roads are dry, I don't see why not.

Wind chill is meaningless, as it applies only to stationery exposed skin. If you had exposed skin on the motorcycle, the wind chill would be much, much lower. If you don't have exposed skin, there is no wind chill.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ride was very cold..

Rode in yesterday, no ice, but the temp actually was 8 degrees, with -12 windchill when left, and temp never got above freezing, stayed in 20s all day. Actually had frost forming on visor, and could not get it to melt. Hands almost frostbitten, need a garage to install my heated grips. Rode in today, slightly warmer at 16 degrees, and only 8 windchill. Gained my full rounder. :p Work in downtown environment, and parking is only possible at work if I ride the bike...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Man you guys are no joke. As much as I love to ride, I'm done until spring, no question about it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
hmmm, I had to jump in on this one. While I don't experience the low temps mentioned at the beginning of the post, I still believe anything below freezing is... well below freezing. Once it is below.... it's just a matter of how quick it will freeze, not if it will. Granted, when you mention single digits, or negative anything... it does make you think about ice on the road.

I have been driving my V-Strom to work every day since I got it ... except for three days it was held hostage at the dealer for the 600 mile service. Within four months of me getting my bike, a co-worker in the same building got a Suzuki cruiser. At that time... I asked him if he was going to be riding this winter. Well, it turns out, we both are. In fact, we "share" a regular parking place. Everyone thinks we are both crazy, even the "seasonal" riders.

If I wasn't smiling so hard and wide, I might notice the icicles forming. Now, if there is a blizzard falling outside with Saint Bernards frolicking with their kegs of whiskey, then I don't think anyone will think less of me if I call in "sick". I know I wouldn't hold it against anyone.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Love my heated gear. It was a balmy -1F Wednesday morning for the ride to work. I did find my next investment is heated socks. So the ride home a couple handwarmers found their way into my boots.

-GW

·
Banned
316 Posts
We ride down to about 28F.
Once the 1st ice hits and/or snow - no more....too risky to hit some black ICE out there. Especially since I leave the house at 0500 in the morning.

Now, this weekend is supposed to be in the 40s. But with all the ice/snow melting and the lovely buckets of SALT out there, I cant bring myself to take her out (yet).

I miss riding but value my bike and my life too much to take the chance/risk....I got 3 cars....as long as one of them start :rolleyes:

This brings back a flashback from the MSF course...showing the dual gears and risk...what was that...oh yea!

The CRASH CHAIN.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in NW Florida.

What kind of silly question is that!?

;)

I'll ride till it is about 40-45*, then I say "uncle" and take the old dusty mini truck. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
going down south for the weekend

headed to memphis to do some riding in the mornings and party at night. Temps for sat and sunday in or near 60s, but at night on the way down and back will be 30s or lower. Finally gotten used to the cold, just wondering how many stops will have to be made on the way back. Around 280 miles there, and 280 back. Weather in STL this weekend not so nice, high of 22 on sunday:(

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thirty years ago I went through the Hampton Roads tunnel to a friends "getting out of the Navy" bash. Froze every swith on the bars and the key. Must have been from humidity in the tunnel. That was at 17 F, and all I had was a bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rode in yesterday, no ice, but the temp actually was 8 degrees, with -12 windchill when left, and temp never got above freezing, stayed in 20s all day. Actually had frost forming on visor, and could not get it to melt. Hands almost frostbitten, need a garage to install my heated grips. Rode in today, slightly warmer at 16 degrees, and only 8 windchill. Gained my full rounder. :p Work in downtown environment, and parking is only possible at work if I ride the bike...
I did the same thing on Sunday - had to (well, wanted to) ride in to work to grab something I'd forgotten to bring home Friday. 8 degrees, same windchill or so as you described. Usually 7 miles each way, but was a little longer due to a flooding detour still in effect.

My fingers got numb very quickly, and my visor was freezing up, almost to the point where I was worried about it obscuring vision. But otherwise no problems.

Someday I hope to have heated grips, but that's about all I'm missing for really cold weather riding. My feet stay pretty comfortable, and the rest of my Fieldsheer Adventure gear does it's job perfectly.

Still, the looks on people's faces made it worth it. Either I'm just weird, or crazy, but it's kind of fun surprising people on the bike.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heated grips installed, ready for rest of winter

Installed heated grips with progrip 714s, and a blue seas fuse block yesterday. Rode home in 30 degree weather, what a difference. Wish I would have put these on earlier, another ride to work today with flurries. Still need heated liner or socks, boots always freeze.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Power for you suit

Love my heated gear. It was a balmy -1F Wednesday morning for the ride to work. I did find my next investment is heated socks. So the ride home a couple handwarmers found their way into my boots.

-GW
Graywolf
Just wondering how you run all your electrics without over draw on your electricals. I have a full Gerbing liners, socks and gloves and would love to ride in the cold but the charging system just won't put up with the draw.:confused:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thinking of the draw

Still need heated socks, and was wondering about the power draw exceeding the surplus. Even if all turn signals and tail lamps are switched to led, would that leave enough room for heated jacket liner, pants liner, and socks? The brighter LEDs, batwings and luxeons, usually pull down some wattage. If lower power LEDs used, resistors are needed to keep flashers normal. Not sure, but want more heat. 15f here this morning, same tomorrow..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Graywolf
Just wondering how you run all your electrics without over draw on your electricals. I have a full Gerbing liners, socks and gloves and would love to ride in the cold but the charging system just won't put up with the draw.:confused:

I run gloves jacket and socks, but no pants. Don't seem to have an issue with charging, though I'm not monitoring, only know that the bike starts and runs everyday.

If I was going to run pants, I'd probably put a switch on one of the headlights for the extra 55-60 watts..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts