StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm near the 1 year anniversary of buying this bike. I've put 17k miles on and I've done quite a bit of wrenching. First off, little by little I've straightened out the electrics which was a big job and included pulling (literally) 18 pounds of wire and gear out. I replaced the stator and glued the magnets, new r/r. I found a nice quality voltmeter/usb charger that plugs right in to one of the DIN sockets on the Adventuretec shelf around the ignition. The fuel delivery got cleaned, tank and pump, and bypass mod. Never pulled the injectors. Looked at the rear sparkplug and it appeared new so never dug out the front. Flushed all fluids and replaced new. Replaced seal on clutch pushrod, cleaned slave. New chain sprockets. Pulled calipers and cleaned purchased pads now on deck. I should mention that this bike was cleaned meticulously before I bought it. It may have well been maintained that way its whole life. Two new front tires, three new rear. The tires on when purchased were dated 4007. I run 'mechanic in a can' injector cleaner through a tank or two once in a while. Did a TBS which immediately improved my fuel economy and smoothed things out. And I recently pulled the plug outta the Staintunes and I have to say I've finally figured out what JohnWeldon might have been getting at. All the work and brainpower figuring out this SV swap, all the time invested just may have been revealed to me. I still haven't ridden a stock DL1000, but I'm just now finally getting a glimpse of why the SV motor has so many fans. I've been trying to come up with an analogy of what the bike feels like now vs a year ago but I haven't got it yet. Something like walking around in 20 pound lead boots then taking them off...dunno, not quite there...

I found this post on an SV forum and laughed and laughed...

I need horsepower between 4000 and 7000 rpm, so that's why I get litrebikes. I purchased an SV1000S shortly after posting the above. Been riding it for 6 years. Best bike I ever owned, actually it wasn't complete when I bought it new. Yoshimura and Heli-Bar made it complete. The SV1000S is quite different from the TL. The DL is like a wife who is faithful, and a good cook, intelligent and fun to talk to. The SV with Yosh pipes is like a wife who is faithful, and a good cook, intelligent and fun to talk to, with a supermodel face and a great body, and good in bed. By contrast, the TL is like a coke-jacked latex-wearing hooker with a knife in her boot. Time of your life, but...

I
f anyone is ever in my neck of the woods riding a Gen 1 DLitre, give me a shout. I need to know the difference.

Wheel Tire Plant Plant community Vehicle
Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Helmet Automotive tire
Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Helmet
Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Plant community Vehicle

·
Registered
2012 V-strom 677 ABS
3,037 Posts
I bought a K5 SV1000S brand new and put 80k miles on it. Really great bike.

Too hard on my neck though so... Sold it a few years ago for nuthin'...:cautious::confused:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have always said the SV version of the design is the one that should have gone straight onto the DL line, at the factory. I own both of them and excepting posture prefer the fun delivered in a street environment. Now that the work has been done let the good times roll.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another hunnerd mile morning and an update...
I guess I'm gonna hafta brace for something catastophic to happen.

...knowing my luck...

because this damn machine is running so fricken good and strong and smooth...

can't imagine it can last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts