StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, wow. That's about all I can say. I picked up my 2011 White Vstrom 650 ABS last weekend and rode last weekend and this one. My background is that I've been riding motorcycles since 1978 (Honda CB350). I've owned 2 Yamaha 550 Maxims, a Kawasaki LTD550, a Honda Shadow 750, a VTX-1800C, a Katana 750, a Suzuki C50T, a Suzuki Bandit 1250S, A Kawasaki Nomad 1600, and a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I switch between cruisers and semi-sport bikes a lot because I've never owned one that I felt was the ultimate all-around motorcycle. I tire of something or other with each...handling...acceleration...some annoying feature....etc....

The Vstrom is simply the best motorcycle I've ever ridden, period, end-of-story. It's quiet, comfortable, handles exquisitely, and it's surprisingly torquey - even while I'm keeping the RPMs below 5000 for break-in.

I just put the handguards on (pain in the ass), and I'm waiting on the Suzuki hard bags and the hard case to come in.

I am quite simply amazed and DONE trading bikes in for something else. I believe this is the sport-touring motorcycle I've always wanted.

Mark

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the Borg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put the handguards on (pain in the ass), and I'm waiting on the Suzuki hard bags and the hard case to come in.
You will really enjoy inserting all the rubber spacers that come with the hard bag and trunk mounts....:furious: Hint: Insert the rubber spacers before you mount the hardware to your bike! I just installed mine and the bags were a great deal for $199! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the club. I got the black Wee back in April. I really like the looks of the white one though, but the black was all that was in stock at the dealer I got mine at. I have only been riding a year and a half. 8K so far 5K on the Wee. I really lucked out meeting someone who had a Wee out one day riding. It was love at first sight. I hear the white Wee works sort of like Axe spray when it comes to women. Be carefull out there. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Well, wow. That's about all I can say. I picked up my 2011 White Vstrom 650 ABS last weekend and rode last weekend and this one. ..............
The Vstrom is simply the best motorcycle I've ever ridden, period, end-of-story. .........................

I am quite simply amazed and DONE trading bikes in for something else. I believe this is the sport-touring motorcycle I've always wanted.

Mark
It's annoying isn't it. I keep looking at the new bikes, shaking my head then going back to the garage to stare at my strom. :thumbup:

Maybe I'll trade it for a Harley FLXRBSTUV. Or not. :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
It is quite a shocker to encounter such a competent, and fun to ride motorbike!

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will really enjoy inserting all the rubber spacers that come with the hard bag and trunk mounts....:furious: Hint: Insert the rubber spacers before you mount the hardware to your bike! I just installed mine and the bags were a great deal for $199! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice on the hard bags! How long did it take you to install them, and did you have to disassemble half of the bike? :green_lol: I can't imagine the top case and bracket will be too troublesome, but I'm worried about those side cases.

Hell, you should have seen me trying to deal with the STUPID instructions they sent with the hand guards. It took me about 3 hours to get those on. Well worth the money though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How long did it take you to install them, and did you have to disassemble half of the bike? :green_lol: I can't imagine the top case and bracket will be too troublesome, but I'm worried about those side cases. Hell, you should have seen me trying to deal with the STUPID instructions they sent with the hand guards. It took me about 3 hours to get those on. Well worth the money though.
It took me about an hour to disassemble / reassemble everything while installing the saddle bags. The only major part to take off, and replace, is the luggage rack. Even though I didn't get a top case the rack still has to be changed out. I think I spent a good twenty minutes with those bumpers!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had a 2009 Orange dl650 and loved it. Had an opportunity to get a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, lost my mind and sold the Wee (I still have no idea what I was thinking) . The C14 and I were not a good fit on several levels, traded it and went back to a 2011 Black Wee. Just got back from a very chilly ride and could not be happier with this bike.:thumbup: There are some great bikes out there, but this one brought me back. Be safe

·
Registered
533 Posts
3 years and 20,000 miles of motorcycling "bliss." 4 weeks ago on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

ENJOY !!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I picked up my 2011 White Vstrom 650 ABS last weekend and rode last weekend and this one. My background is that I've been riding motorcycles since 1978 (Honda CB350). I've owned ....... a Suzuki Bandit 1250S .......
What did you think of the Bandit 1250S?

I kinda have an eye for one of those to compliment, not replace, my Vee. I'm just curious to know what you thought of it.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I kinda have an eye for one of those to compliment, not replace, my Vee. I'm just curious to know what you thought of it.
What I think about the Bandit is that I should have never gotten rid of it. I can thank my "gotta have something new every year" thoughts. The 1250S is incredibly powerful, smooth, and comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as the Wee, in hindsight, but power - no comparison. I put about 13000 miles on it with a couple of longer trips. Here's a link to some pictures of my Bandit on the TWT (Two-Wheel Texans) forum from a trip I took to the Blue Ridge Parkway: Blue Ridge Run - From Virginia Beach (Pix) - TWT Forums

·
Registered
74 Posts
i've ridden one of the older generation ('99? 01' maybe it was?) Bandits no a short jaunt around the neighborhood.

Liked the ergonomics. What did you think regarding comfort wasn't as good as the Strom, actual seat itself, riding position?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts

I had a Bandit 2 bikes before the Strom and I still miss it.
It's almost as comfortable. It needs a windshield (sound familiar) and another time I would raise the bars about 2". It was the forward lean that did in my wrists.
The ZOOM factor was the best part. I may still go back. It tours, runs the twisties and handles well. But, It doesn't like gravel as much as the Strom and I do.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've ridden one of the older generation ('99? 01' maybe it was?) Bandits no a short jaunt around the neighborhood.

Liked the ergonomics. What did you think regarding comfort wasn't as good as the Strom, actual seat itself, riding position?
I can't really put my finger on it. I never did change stock seat on the Bandit, so maybe that was it. I have an Airhawk "medium cruiser" seat cushion that I've had through two bikes now, and planted that on the Wee. The Airhawk is supremely comfortable. I also put a Givi touring shield on the Bandit.

The Wee comfort is hard to describe. It's roomy - that's what it feels like. The engine is smooth and quiet. It just feels more comfy - gut feeling.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It is quite a shocker to encounter such a competent, and fun to ride motorbike!
Very weird indeed...too bad it took em so long!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts