StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just getting ready to buy a 07 v 1000 has any one taken this to a drag strip & have any times ? I plan on lowering front & rear & racing it only no street riding

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Supposedly its runs around 11.8-12 seconds in the quarter. Why in the world are you buying a vstrom to drag race? Almost all conventional inline 4's will kill the vstrom in that type of environment. Mind sharing your reasoning or more details with us?

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are quite a few drags that are V-Twin only. But even at that why wouldn't you go with the SV1000 instead of the DL1000? Seems it would be better suited and have advantage for your intended purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
What about a tl1000r with a few mods? Those are supposed to run 10 second quarter miles fairly easily.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I gotta ask to why a Vstrom for dragracing you are joking right? And it takes alot of mods and a good rider to get a tl1000 in the 10's it can be done but it ain't easy. I have a buddy with an sv1000 with yosh slipons that is a pretty good rider and he goes 11 teens and hes 200lbs his 130 pound brother rode it and went 10.96. I'm at the track almost every weekend but not on a vstrom. I run my ZX14 been 9.42 so far last season, my goal this year is an 8 sec slip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drag race v strom

like to race different things have beed racing 10 years raced a fj 1100 w/ a 12 over arm airshifter lowered ran 10.75, raced a bandit w/ slider clutch,running a kaw mean strean 1600 now it runs low 13's won lots of money last year bracket racing + 2 nd place in points w/this bike, also have a 109 suz w/ a side car raced that last year (no car on it we have a 6 year old ) it runs 11. 72 w/ me on it I weigh 265 56 years old " Fat Guy Racing"
" I just want to race different. yes I had a car tire bike ran 9.90 class in pro star, boring I like bracket racing does not matter how fast you go but can you run your dial in each & every time. rode a v & just loved it have to race one lower it w/a air shifter, so any help on the rear lowering bones?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
More power to you joe t. Dare to be different, and run whatever the hell you want! Drag racing through the 70's, 80's and early 90's was a blast because of the Competition Eliminator and Modified Production classes where there was a huge variety of car and drivetrain combinations, all running index. The later years have brought us cookie cutter kit cars, computers and delay boxes, and utterly boring drag racing.
What you are proposing to sounds like fun, and will add something unique to the field. You'll probably end up getting it to run pretty stout and consistent. When you get it built, we want pics.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Heck , go for it. I did drags for a bit in '79 on a '77 Yamaha XT500 warmed up abit with dog bones on the rear at 13.95s 6's. Was fun as heck. Heck if I redlighted I'd just try to wheely it the whole quarter to put on a show.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bar risers

well bought the bike today pick it up on sat are the 02 - 07 dl 1000 all interchange parts? looking for bar risers up 1' & back can only find for 02 or 04 will these work?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
well bought the bike today pick it up on sat are the 02 - 07 dl 1000 all interchange parts? looking for bar risers up 1' & back can only find for 02 or 04 will these work?
I think most of the stuff is compatible other then the front coweling/dash area. That got re-designed after 03. So 02 and 03 wind shields are not ajustable, but 04 and later are. Also the dash is very differant. Other then that, I think its the same bike other then some small engine mods.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
There were two guys on Yahoo V-Strom2, two ago, that had their bikes on the strip. One guy had his to 11.23. When I expressed my surprise at this excellent time he said his bud got down into the high tens. As far as I know these were only straped down in the front with stage one mods.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts