StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have another pump on the shelf, I’ll swap it out and see while I have the tank off. I originally thought the fuel pump as a culprit, but that’s the time the TPS went out... When I had the new pump in, the pressure regulator popped off inside the tank. I put the original pump back in as the TPS got replaced, and pressure tested the original pump to about 46 psi, the strong side of within spec. It’s free to swap the pump out again, so I’ll give it a try. ?
Replaced the fuel pump and both coils. A beautiful central Florida day yesterday yielded an opportunity for 100+ miles to go out and ride, play around and see what I could learn.
The problem remains unchanged.
I did notice it seems more likely to happen on a demanding downshift from 6th to 5th landing around 8k it will miss 5 or 6 times without a substantial loss of power. However.... it will pull from mid range or lower to redline without a noticeable miss.
I verified all my vacuum lines are in good condition while I had it apart. So I’m wondering if the one of CKP/CMP/IAP sensors could be the culprit as they play the primary role in modifying injection timing.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
That sounds like you have too much fuel flooding a cylinder or two on close of throttle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I like the theory. I have tried both a paper air filter and K&N with the stock fuel map and with the power commander maps noticing the K&N leans it out quite a bit. One thing I haven’t tried is leaning it out further from 8k to redline. That’s a quick adjustment, I’ll give it a shot this weekend.
I hope you understand how much I appreciate the insights!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have a PCFC fitted to my 2014 and when the bike was put in to have the wiring under the tank replaced under the safety recall they managed to reverse the plugs between the secondary plates and the TPS, my bike behaved much like yours but much worse that is what got me thinking of too much fuel.

As I said earlier I often use air filter changes to work out if it is a rich or lean situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’m getting to my wits end... I had the opportunity to head out on the turnpike with unusually low traffic in a long straight with very few hiding spots for troopers.
i took it up to 8k in 4th and 5th and just ran there for a bit. I guess it just doesn’t have the necessary load accelerating through 1,2,3 to replicate the problem.The hesitation is always there. You have to accelerate, cruising won’t do it. Any noticable acceleration AT 8k will produce a miss like hesitation briefly.
Since my last post I have tried re-routing the wiring harnesses EXACTLY as specified in the service manual. Re routing the HT spark plug wires EXACTLY as specified in the service manual. Replacing the spade connectors going to the coils with soldered and heat shrinked new connectors. Verifying no resistance anywhere between the coils and ECU. Remapping the power commander leaner from 8k/80% to 10k/100% 5% leaner than previous (running chef’s OMG map already) so around 10% lean over stock in that range. I verified TPS is correct again (that’s easy). I double checked and NGKCR8E-IX are resistor plugs. I swapped back to K&N filter to lean the overall mixture slightly.
No change.

I’m leaning torward to electrical interference app I ordered a small oscilloscope to watch the signals from the various sensors. For the life of me i have no idea what happens at 8k that doesn’t happen at other RPM.
I have already bypassed the known problematic connectors to the rectifier and wired the rectifier straight to the battery. I have a mosfet rectifier, also.
I have never been so stumped.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It would be interesting to have a test result of the 8K test, with the power commander disconnected, plus all accessories turned off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It would be interesting to have a test result of the 8K test, with the power commander disconnected, plus all accessories turned off.
I plan to take it back down to stock to start chasing interference... not that that’s a huge amount of electrical accessories. The previous owner seemed to want a gold wing worth of accessories, all of which were removed when I took ownership. I have only a the timing retard eliminator and power commander, speedo calibrator, and a 12v power outlet/voltmeter.
The mess I removed when I purchased the bike was excessive to say the least. Hopefully this week I can strip it apart.
Also overnight I was reading and the gap on NGK iridium is .031 stock and the Vee calls for .024-.028 so that’ll be adjusted as well.

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Be careful. Many auto manufacturers recommend that you should not gap iridium plugs as the electrode is so thin and brittle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So that was my thinking in leaving them alone originally... I’m willing to try about anything, though, at this point. It’s really starting to discourage me having spent this much time on the bike and not making progress forward on such a stupid problem. I don’t even run the bike at 8k but it kills me knowing it has the hesitation it does.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So that was my thinking in leaving them alone originally... I’m willing to try about anything, though, at this point. It’s really starting to discourage me having spent this much time on the bike and not making progress forward on such a stupid problem. I don’t even run the bike at 8k but it kills me knowing it has the hesitation it does.
Frustrating for sure. Try to only make one change at a time, though. At least then you will have some idea what the actual cause was.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok... so through the process of elimination, the one thing I never considered and cannot explain seems to be that the speedoDRD was somehow introducing interference. I can no longer reproduce the problem after removing EVERYTHING and making the bike stock. The one thing I had never removed was the speedometer correction chip. In the wiring diagram it never enters the ECU. It’s a closed loop from the speed sensor to the speedo.

After contacting 12oclock labs they confirmed they have heard of this in several instances and advised me to relocate the device, so I’ll wire it hardwire up near the gauge cluster. That should eliminate any inductive interference and remove and shared power/grounds.

The strom is running amazing now, hopefully the problem is fixed. Everything is tuned and tweaked to near perfect. I had forgotten how much the power commander made a difference. Love this bike!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We learn something new everyday and that is what make life interesting.

Good work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow ! This was an amazing thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow ! This was an amazing thread.
And what’s really amazing... In the process of putting everything back together, hardwiring the speedoDRD into the back of the gauge cluster, and getting everything buttoned back up in a more permanent fashion... MY POWER COMMANDER FAILED! And not just an easy fail, like ok now she doesn't run anymore... but coming to a stop light, my bike would die only if depressing the brakes.
That was another long list of troubleshooting headaches, but finally unplugging the PCV immediately solved the problem.
i have a new power commander coming under warranty, but have since yosh box turned my bike, so if anyone needs a new power commander cheap, I will be selling one.

i couldn’t have done this without some of the great minds that helped me here. You guys are heroes...

·
Registered
102 Posts
And what’s really amazing... In the process of putting everything back together, hardwiring the speedoDRD into the back of the gauge cluster, and getting everything buttoned back up in a more permanent fashion... MY POWER COMMANDER FAILED! And not just an easy fail, like ok now she doesn't run anymore... but coming to a stop light, my bike would die only if depressing the brakes.
That was another long list of troubleshooting headaches, but finally unplugging the PCV immediately solved the problem.
i have a new power commander coming under warranty, but have since yosh box turned my bike, so if anyone needs a new power commander cheap, I will be selling one.

i couldn’t have done this without some of the great minds that helped me here. You guys are heroes...
Glad you got it figured out. What a messed up way for the PCV to fail. I have a PCIII that I bought used on ebay with leppers MAP. Very much like Chefs OMG map. So far so good.

I learned a lot on this thread. A lot of good information.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Egads, what a roller coaster!

I have a SpeedoDRD and have never really had a problem, although mine is tucked just out of sight on the left side of the frame outside the steering stem. It's reachable for adjustment, but you can only see or reach it if you know where to look. So as it happens, not a lot of interference there.

My Vee came to me with a PCIII, and I chased similar aggravations for over a year, ripening into random engine stalls, before I finally removed it.

Thanks so much for sharing. This is all useful information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I have a SpeedoDRD and have never really had a problem, although mine is tucked just out of sight on the left side of the frame outside the steering stem. It's reachable for adjustment, but you can only see or reach it if you know where to look. So as it happens, not a lot of interference there.

My Vee came to me with a PCIII, and I chased similar aggravations for over a year, ripening into random engine stalls, before I finally removed

My Vee came to me with a PCIII, and I chased similar aggravations for over a year, ripening into random engine stalls, before I finally removed it.

Once I relocated the SpeedoDRD to the back of the instrument cluster and hard wired it into the harness I’ve had zero problems from it still to this day... I can only assume it was bleeding over into the TPS/STPS/FI inputs that come down the frame rail right next to the speedometer connection.
Thinking back I bought a car charger for my phone once that used to randomly set off the TPMS in my car. Electronic interference can be extremely difficult to troubleshoot when it masks as another problem or problems... especially when the source of interference is working as it should.

as for my power commander... I have the new one back from dynojet, replaced without question despite “passing their assessment.” Credit to their customer service is due, they’re very cool. I can’t bring myself to reinstall it though now that my bike is tuned via yosh box even though the power commander did feel a little more precise. Seems like overkill at this point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cheap, poorly shield electronics can cause all kinds of problems. Two incidents that come to mind are, Blackhawk helicopters had a bad batch of chips in their flight control computer that would cause uncommanded flight control inputs... creating a UNGOOD situation. The second was at Monterey Bay marina several years ago where GPS signals were being jammed by cheap Chinese TV signal booster that a couple of people had put in their boats. It was so bad that no one could use their GPS's in the bay.
Glad you found that problem... Now I need to go look at my pwr cdr to see if it is still working right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Most people don't know that our fuel lines are time change items. Several years ago a buddy of mine rode a Hayabusa and he was having a problem at high RPM's. He was at the dealer buying a fuel filter and they also recommended changing the fuel lines too. He changes the fuel lines only and the problem went away. I know you said you did the filter mod, but how old are your lines?
All fuel lines were done with the filter, including the small line in between the throttle bodies.
I’m pretty big on factory service intervals being a deadline and not time to think about doing something.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My DRD is under the seat of the bike near the front of the battery. No problems so far. I had a similar issue with my '06 Vee. It was one of the wires from the kickstand cutout switch that had gotten pinched somewhere. (a shop fixed it) Amazing what can happen with all the electronics in bikes nowadays.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts