StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this specific topic has been raised or covered please excuse the repeat. I bought a new 09 V-Strom 1000 back in March. I traded my 06 KTM 950 for it due to all of the maintainence issues and reliability problems with the 950. First of all let me say the V-Strom will probably go down as one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned. Drop dead reliable and very easy to service.

Over the past 3-4 months, however, I can not ride it for more than a couple of hours without my hips absolutely killing me. My right hip in particular will get a catch in it and actually pop when I try to move it. The things hurts as bad as a tooth ache. I end up constantly riding and rotating my feet straight down toward the ground, up on the crash bars, on the pegs and a bunch of standing up. After a days worth of riding and especially the night after I can hardly walk and will actually hear my right hip audibly pop and hurt like crazy if I move it the wrong way.

All my life I have only had dirt oriented bikes. The 950 was the most street oriented bike I had prior to the V-Strom. The 950 though had a more dirt bike type or narrow seat. By sitting on the stock V-Strom seat it feels great on my butt and tail bone, even after a full day of riding. Its just my hips ! I've had a list of medical issues this spring and summer not related to my hips. X Rays of my hips show nothing out of the way.

Is the hip specific issue something others have encountered ? I've tried a set of Twisted Throttle highway pegs on one ride but I think these just add another position rotation that might help only a little. I would buy an aftermarked seat in a minute if I knew it would eliminate the problem. I sat on a leather V-Strom Corbin a few days ago but it actually felt much wider at the bottom forcing my legs even further apart.

Thanks for any help and advice. It really hurts bad enough to stop me from any lengthy rides.........Mark

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
I have the same issue when I add an Alaska sheepskin atop my stock DL650 seat. I cannot handle it more than 30 minutes. I believe it to be the width in the front portion of the seat...like you, it just forces my legs too far apart and makes it feel like my hips are going to be pulled out of socket.

What are your measurements? Height, inseam, etc? That will probably be useful knowledge to help you out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the same issue when I add an Alaska sheepskin atop my stock DL650 seat. I cannot handle it more than 30 minutes. I believe it to be the width in the front portion of the seat...like you, it just forces my legs too far apart and makes it feel like my hips are going to be pulled out of socket.

What are your measurements? Height, inseam, etc? That will probably be useful knowledge to help you out.

That's exactly what it feels like to me as well. If that is indeed the cause, I don't know how the seat can be narrowed anymore than the stocker at the bottom. Maybe raising it up in the middle will make the transition toward wide bottom a bit more gradual. Being from a dirt bike background, having to be flat footed at a stop is not a necessity for me. I am 5'10, 185 lbs and I have a 31" inseam. Thanks for the imput LowAnd Silent......Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
seats

I have a 2008 wee. Same issues with seat. Bought the suzuki gel seat(waste of money) tried wood beads, able to go a little longer between stops. I have decided to go ahead and order myself a Russell day long.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 2008 wee. Same issues with seat. Bought the suzuki gel seat(waste of money) tried wood beads, able to go a little longer between stops. I have decided to go ahead and order myself a Russell day long.:thumbup:
Every butt is different, butt I'll mention that the gel seat works great for me (22k miles, including a lot of 700 mile days). It's the least expensive option, and is easy to resell if you don't like it.

The stock seat is ghastly.

Cheers -d

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm on my 4th seat on my 08 wee, 1st seat stocker, then a sargent, then a Steve Gowings custom, and now my russell day long i've had for about 2 weeks and yes this is a keeper (for me) so save your money skip all the other crap and git one!:hurray:

·
Registered
370 Posts
In regards to your seat giving you problems, maybe you might want to check this guy out
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

There are a few threads in regard to this guy doing seat work.. here is what I guess to be a major one.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=13881

I'm also thinking about checking out these guys (just because they are 30 min away from me)
http://www.realdealcustoms.com/index.html

None the less everyone has various needs for their seat. Me personally I feel that the seat works very well for a all day ride with no issues.

I'm thinking of during the winter sending it out to have it cut down a bit and have some custom cushion/foam put into it. I like not only to stand flat footed by also knees slightly bent when on the seat.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have issues with the stock seat, so I bought a used Corbin. My butt loves the Corbin, but my left hip doesn't :(

Maybe I'll be looking at a Russell too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. As I said my butt is fine with the stock seat....its just my hips. I picked up a piece of 2" closed cell foam today and will try raising the very center of the seat up a bit. Hopefully this more dirt bike position will take the pressure off my hips. I'll let ya'll know how the temporary fix works......Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm not an ergonomics expert, but I know for certain that the stock seat is too narrow, and slopes down and away on the sides (below your hamstring muscles) to provide any support for your hips at all. The stock seat was designed and shaped to follow the flowing lines and curves of the bike, it WAS NOT designed for a human being to sit upon it. Find me a piece of furniture that shares the shape of a VStrom seat. Sitting on the thing is like straddling a tree log that has some padding on it.

If you can swallow the bitter pill of the price tag, contact Russell for a Day Long. Otherwise a Sargent will provide a much wider and flatter surface that will support your upper legs, hips, and butt, likely alleviating what you are experiencing.

If you buy directly from Sargent, you'll pay a bit more than some of the other retailers of their seats, but you'll also get a 30-day satisfaction guaranty, so you can ride the heck out of if to see if it's the cure to your problems. If it's not meeting your expectations, send it back for a refund and call Russell.

I can do 10 miles on the stock seat. I can do (and have done several times) 400+ in a day with the Sargent.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. As I said my butt is fine with the stock seat....its just my hips. I picked up a piece of 2" closed cell foam today and will try raising the very center of the seat up a bit. Hopefully this more dirt bike position will take the pressure off my hips. I'll let ya'll know how the temporary fix works......Mark
My hips are damaged and I get pinched nerves now and then - try having to stand in a hurry when doing 80 kph on winding gravel roads - it's exciting ..... ;).

The most effective thing for me is stretching exercises and keeping my weight down - I put on too much weight and some goes to the inside of my thighs and makes things far worse.

As far as seat shaping goes, making teh eat a bit taller should help, but you can also try flattening the rear part of the seat (so you can slide back further) and maybe getting taller bars so you can move back a bit relative to the pegs.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I've seen lots of people throw lots of money at seats trying to find something that they prefer when what they really need to do is take a look at themselves. Things like seats tend to get a lot of blame for things that aren't necessarily their fault. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

I do know that my DL650 has over 30k miles on it and I just spent the last 8 days on a stock DL1000 seat with had no problems at all. I do know the pain you mention, I get it from time to time myself on both of my bikes. The most important thing, for me, is Exercise. Before a long ride like this one I exercise. A couple of miles a day on a treadmill, or just walking around the neighborhood, will make a world of difference. Make sure YOU are up to the task before blaming something else. I don't know you and maybe you are in shape, but I know a lot of us aren't so fortunate.

Also, what do you wear? Blue jeans or something along those lines won't do. True riding pants of overpants make a great deal of difference. Alaska Leather seat pads make a great deal of difference. These allow me to ride pretty much as far as I want to go without any serious discomfort. I do tend to fidget, I do tend to stretch on the pegs, I do get tired, but I can keep going.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I've tried a lot of seat and I love the DL1000 stock seat. It's nice and wide at the butt and has plenty of padding. You guys haven't tried a bad seat until you've tried a stock BMW seat. Now, that's agony.

For data, I'm 6'3", 195 lbs, 58 years old, and my bottom two discs are herniated plus I have a lumbar bone in there that's been broken they say since childhood. The DL1000 seat is superb.

One more thing - the VStrom windshield is also great. You want no buffeting take the car.

I'm getting sick of the sputtering, lurching, and popping when trying to cruise below 3,000 though, that is not my imagination.

Now what will I get, Tourances or Battlewings?

P.S. The fork brace did nothing :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies everyone :hurray: As I said I'm really happy with the V and not discounting the possibility that its me and not the seat. Jim Davis/S Craig brought up some great points. I want to try a new seat BEFORE the MRI on my hips.

I DO need to ecercise more and as far as my butt goes the seat is great. My tail bone nor butt hurts at all with the stock seat. It's not my imagination, however, that my hips are killing me after a day long ride. I've already spent a good bit of money seeing my doctor and getting X Rays believing it was with ME and not the V's seat.

On Friday I put the 2" closed cell foam in the riders area and topped it with a Sterns ATV seat cover. I cut the foam at an angle from about 4-5" wide at the tank and gradually out to the regular seat width at the back. In short the seat is now about 2.25" taller and much narrower at the front. Its a lot more like a dirt bike seat now.

I've only ridden it about 175 miles since Friday and my hips are doing a lot better :thumbup: As to be expected with my cheap temporarily or experimental fix, my butt and crotch hurt a bit. I can live with "uncomfortable", "sore", "rashed" and such. What I can't live with is being uable to walk without severe pain, literally and no joke, for several days after a long ride. I also feel validated that its a physical and not mental (better way to say a Candy Ass or complaining state of mind) when my wife can actually hear my hips popping for several days after a ride.

I would try a tall Suzuki seat since they are so cheap and appear to be narrower at the nose but they won't allow a return if it don't work. I've never liked any Corbin I've sat on becasue they always feel too hard and too wide. To be fair though I've never ridden any distance on a Corbin.

I think I'll probably order up a Sargent since they will send a turn key seat with their own pan that can be returned within 30 days. The Sargent does appear to be much narrower at the nose. I might well end up with a Russell if this doesn't work. Even though they have a return policy after 2 adjustment attemps thats a lot of down time sending you stock seat pan to and fro to get the seat built and adjustments done.

I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again for all the imput. This is one bike thats well worth hanging in their with tweaking to get her right.......Mark

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hillbilly-

The Sarg seat is narrower at the front end, allowing your feet to find the ground similar to the stock seat. The Sargent is about 3/4" taller (seat to footpeg) than the stock seat, and significantly wider across the "butt contact" area, which will provide support for your hip joints. As I stated before, the stock seat offers no support for the hip joints themselves, just as straddling a log offer no support for your hips. Without this support, gravity takes over on those joints via the weight of your legs themselves, and complicates things even more every time a "road imperfection" is run over- kind of like thumping a hammer on the ground on the end of the handle to drive a loose hammer head in place. The stock seat is doing the same thing to your hip joints, only pulling at the joints rather than driving them together (which wouldn't be any more comfy). With the Sargent (or Russell, etc), think padded office/kitchen chair- your whole hind end, butt muscles, hip joints and all, are sitting on a supportive surface, not hanging off over the side of a surface. For long rides, I sometimes also use an additional pad on my Sargent. It has nice firm padding itself, but I've got a persnickety right-side "butt bone" that wants a little extra cushioning that it naturally lacks. Otherwise, life is great with this seat- for me.

I would also support the exercise comment for the others as well. Personally I've lost 25 pounds (6', 200 pounds now) in the past 20 months, and my back, hips, knees and feet all thank me for the change. (I'm not saying you need to lose weight, I'm just speaking for myself.) I'm also trying to get a bit more exercise than in the past. I walk most of the day for work, but not "aerobic" type exercise walking, the type that really burns calories and builds muscle tone and strength.

I, for one, would be very interested in what you find to be the final answer. Please keep us updated. This is timely and relevant information for new owners every year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts