StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my KLR, but I am looking for something a little more road friendly for my 56 mile, one way, 4-lane commute. I was shopping for a NT700V Honda, and I ran across a single owner, 20k, 2004 Wee. It has Givi luggage, and a Stay Tune.

I couldn't find any 04 specific issues, and I was curious about thoughts or problems I should look for before I buy. He is asking $2800.

I plan on keeping both bikes, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, my only advice, go grab it before someone else does, that simple. :thumbup:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a great deal, my only advice, go grab it before someone else does, that simple. :thumbup:
I called him a couple times, and my job will not let me away to meet him until Thursday. I agreed on the price, and he says he will hold it until then. I am kind of giddy about it, but I feel as if I am bringing in a mistress. I hate to get worked up without money changing hands.

I keep telling my well farkled KLR that she isn't going anywhere, but she is giving me a stern look.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I called him a couple times, and my job will not let me away to meet him until Thursday. I agreed on the price, and he says he will hold it until then. I am kind of giddy about it, but I feel as if I am bringing in a mistress. I hate to get worked up without money changing hands.

I keep telling my well farkled KLR that she isn't going anywhere, but she is giving me a stern look.
Well, cross your fingers....with many used items for sale, especially anything off craigslist, there's a 50/50 chance it could sell before you get there.

If I had someone call me, and say they could bet a my place within 15minutes, with cash in hand, to buy my bike, I'd probably not wait 2 extra days for someone who I spoke to on the phone, knowing the number of total flakes that leave people high & dry, change their minds, or outright lie.

May be a bit of a hard stand, but I've bought and sold enough to realize that money talks....again, my fingers are crossed for you, sounds like a great deal, one that most, in the market, would also recognize.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, cross your fingers....with many used items for sale, especially anything off craigslist, there's a 50/50 chance it could sell before you get there.

If I had someone call me, and say they could bet a my place within 15minutes, with cash in hand, to buy my bike, I'd probably not wait 2 extra days for someone who I spoke to on the phone, knowing the number of total flakes that leave people high & dry, change their minds, or outright lie.

May be a bit of a hard stand, but I've bought and sold enough to realize that money talks....again, my fingers are crossed for you, sounds like a great deal, one that most, in the market, would also recognize.
I called and tried to take him money, but work has him involved tonight, and church tomorrow night. He assures me that I have first call until Thursday at his house, after work. I just have to do what I can. If it doesn't happen, it just wasn't meant to be.

As for those worried about the KLR, she was my first bike, and I learned to wrench on her. If this deal go through, I will have two great bikes for the cost of a 011 KLR (with what I owe on the 09). She isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think you'll find the KLR is a more efficient tool off-road, and the Wee is vastly superior on-road. For being bikes that are frequently compared to eachother, they're really really different. Good luck getting that Wee, it sounds like a great deal!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think you'll find the KLR is a more efficient tool off-road, and the Wee is vastly superior on-road. For being bikes that are frequently compared to eachother, they're really really different. Good luck getting that Wee, it sounds like a great deal!
I paid almost $3000 for a 2004 with 49000 miles. It has turned out it was well cared for and 2000 miles later still going strong. Knock on wood.
I think you and your KLR are going to be very happy.
-best to ya

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had a KLR that I enjoyed but the Wee became my bike. The Wee is far superior on the highway. There is no way to even compare the difference. Off road, the Wee is out of its element. But, as my bike was seldom off road the Wee won hands down. I have never looked back or missed the KLR.

Sorry if that offends some, but honestly, the Vstrom is just the better bike for me.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
I think you need to settle down a touch and put on your poker face. It may be a nice bike but it might have issues. Take a friend along as an extra set of eyes. Remember there are lots of bike out there. Maybe he's selling it cheap because there is an issue that he does want to mention, gives him peace of mind. Just be careful, check for leans, check for damage or repaired damage, check to make sure it's not a rebuilt and try to take it for a good long ride if he will let you. good luck and hope you get the bike.

My previous bike was a KLR and I wished I had kept it for my short rides and gravel road runs.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Like a lot of folks are saying, the KLR is way better on the rough stuff but the Strom will fast become your bike of choice for everything else. I have both and the difference is like night and day.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Like a lot of folks are saying, the KLR is way better on the rough stuff but the Strom will fast become your bike of choice for everything else. I have both and the difference is like night and day.
I also agree with this. I sold my '09 KLR to buy my '11 Wee ABS. The KLR is definitely better in the rough stuff, but I wasn't riding enough of that and the KLR's weaknesses on the road were getting too much for me to bear. The Wee is a far better bike for the type of riding I'm currently doing, but I still long for the day that I have the time to do the kind of riding the KLR is best at. Maybe when the kids are in college...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a KLX 650 to go with the Wee. I wish I could ride the wee to the trails, and then switch over to the KLX. Gotta figure out how to ride both at the same time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a KLR that I enjoyed but the Wee became my bike. The Wee is far superior on the highway. There is no way to even compare the difference. Off road, the Wee is out of its element. But, as my bike was seldom off road the Wee won hands down. I have never looked back or missed the KLR.

Sorry if that offends some, but honestly, the Vstrom is just the better bike for me.
I concur with Hans. I traded my '08 KLR with 12k miles on it for a K9 Wee ABS in August of '09 and have never looked back either. To me,the Wee is vastly superior on the slab, hands down.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sweet, looks great. I think you like it very much. The Wee IMO is as good as I am in the dirt. The Wee, KLR, GS etc are all varying degrees of bad , all are way too heavy and feel like tugboats.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree on the heaviness of the bikes. I was playing in some fresh plowed fields that are dry as a desert with this drought. It was puckerish for sure on the KLR. The YZ 80 I had when I was a kid would have loved it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts