StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob question. I just bought a 08 Wee with 2100 miles. I have never owned a fuel injected bike before. Are these fuel injectors /pumps usually noisy? Like a high pitched whistle? This sound is constant while the bike is running. My buddy has an 05 sv650 and it doesnt seem to be doing it. Could it be something else?

Thanks,
Dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A high pitched whistle is not how I would describe the fuel pump noise. Does it happen as soon as the key is turned on? Does it go away if the bike is in gear with the side stand down? When the kill switch is off? Any time the clock display says CHEC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A high pitched whistle is not how I would describe the fuel pump noise. Does it happen as soon as the key is turned on? Does it go away if the bike is in gear with the side stand down? When the kill switch is off? Any time the clock display says CHEC?

I can hear the initial prime of the fuel pump when I turn the key on and hit the kill switch. As soon as I hit the start button the sound starts never goes away and happens at idle and any speed/gear and neutral as well as the kickstand up or down. I believe it has to be something electrical making the niose since it changes pitch with voltage changes, i.e. when I am using brakes or turn signals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The clock does display CHEC before I start it... This could be bad?

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Put a 4 to 5 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel tank and see if that quiets it down. I've found it works wonders for noisy GM fuel pumps. If you don't notice any difference then it's probably a different issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just followed your link. What is this check alarm they speak of? This could be it, its more like a constant beep. It is really annoying the crap out of me, after a long ride I still hear it in my head well after I am done riding. (Its not a tumor).:confused:

·
38,103 Posts
I assume he meant the CHEC indication. I wouldn't call it an alarm as it makes no noise. There was one report of a R/R making a high pitched whine, probably a bad capacitor. I don't think your fuel pump is the problem.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My vee had a high pitched whine that was a clogged fuel filter. I pulled filter, flushed and reinstalled. Whine went away and then returned. Replaced filter and whine gone for good. But I have 61,000 miles. At your low mileage I believe filter may be a long shot.

The whine would also change pitch with the brake or turn signals. This whine appeared before the performance dropped off at high rpm in the engine also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to see if I can somehow make a video and post it maybe this weekend. That may probably help make it more clear whar it is coming from.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It should not be too hard to distinguish between the electronic whine of a bad capacitor and the mechanical whine of a failing fuel pump. If the PO routinely allowed fuel levels to get very low he could well have buggered the pump.

Why not just open the filler cap while the bike is running and put your ear to the hole? The fuel pump will then be about 10 inches away and it should be easy to determine if that is the source of the noise.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
not sure if this will help or hinder...

my 0.02 is this...

when i bought my wee back in april~ish, i started riding her around to feel her out a bit...i noticed quite of bit of whining different~ish noises that i wasn't used to...and some engine extra engine noise...i thought something too was wrong...then i listened to my uncles wee and his made all the same sounds??! so i just assumed that it was the wee's noises and i just kept on riding her...i must have gotten used to all the noises cause i don't notice anything unusual anymore?

what's sad is that i came off of a HD Sportster, which to me, actually had less engine noise and other noises (aside from the exhaust, or maybe thats why i couldn't hear the engine noise :confused::green_lol:)

i suggest finding another wee and comparing your "noises"...look forward to your video and see if GW has any other insight from that...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It should not be too hard to distinguish between the electronic whine of a bad capacitor and the mechanical whine of a failing fuel pump. If the PO routinely allowed fuel levels to get very low he could well have buggered the pump.

Why not just open the filler cap while the bike is running and put your ear to the hole? The fuel pump will then be about 10 inches away and it should be easy to determine if that is the source of the noise.
I am at work and just went out with a couple guys that have fuel injected bikes(non-Wee's) they said it is the fuel pump but no abnormal sound. I put my ear to the tank and that is where is is coming from .

my 0.02 is this...

when i bought my wee back in april~ish, i started riding her around to feel her out a bit...i noticed quite of bit of whining different~ish noises that i wasn't used to...and some engine extra engine noise...i thought something too was wrong...then i listened to my uncles wee and his made all the same sounds??! so i just assumed that it was the wee's noises and i just kept on riding her...i must have gotten used to all the noises cause i don't notice anything unusual anymore?

what's sad is that i came off of a HD Sportster, which to me, actually had less engine noise and other noises (aside from the exhaust, or maybe thats why i couldn't hear the engine noise :confused::green_lol:)

i suggest finding another wee and comparing your "noises"...look forward to your video and see if GW has any other insight from that...
This may be what I have to do is find another Wee rider in the area and listen to thiers.

Like I said in the OP I have never owned/ridden a fuel injected bike. This maybe just something I have to get use to.

·
38,103 Posts
Do check the R/R. It can sound like any noise it makes comes from the tank as it is right under the tank. There are other electrical items under the tank too. A stethoscope is good for pinpointing noises.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Do check the R/R. It can sound like any noise it makes comes from the tank as it is right under the tank. There are other electrical items under the tank too. A stethoscope is good for pinpointing noises.
And if you don't have a stethoscope, you can sometimes use a long shaft screwdriver planted firmly against the suspected source of the noise and your ear - works best with mechanical noises.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
so just cause...

so after i started the ol' wee up this morning i decided to listen closely...and i did hear a slight whining noise, which got more definitive when i held my ear closer to the gas filler cap...i am going to say it's always been there on my bike and it sounds just like the fuel pump...(although it could be the R/R humming too which GW has said)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I brought it by my mechanics shop and he said that is not an ordinary fuel pump noise. Here is his consensus.

Since the bike is a 2008, from new the original owner put 800miles on it til this spring. The second owner put 1200 this spring/summer and I from bought it from him with 2000miles. With the small amount of time it was ridden by the original owner, there is a chance he did not store it properly and there is tarnish in the fuel pump.

He suggested as well to run Marvel Mystery Oil through a couple tanks of gas. I will give this s shot and see what it does.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I brought it by my mechanics shop and he said that is not an ordinary fuel pump noise. Here is his consensus.

Since the bike is a 2008, from new the original owner put 800miles on it til this spring. The second owner put 1200 this spring/summer and I from bought it from him with 2000miles. With the small amount of time it was ridden by the original owner, there is a chance he did not store it properly and there is tarnish in the fuel pump.

He suggested as well to run Marvel Mystery Oil through a couple tanks of gas. I will give this s shot and see what it does.
Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
With the small amount of time it was ridden by the original owner, there is a chance he did not store it properly and there is tarnish in the fuel pump.
Never heard of that before, but could be. I'd say it's more likely he let the fuel level get very low too many times, and maybe even had the pump sucking wind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there Davey,
I wanted to let you know that I bought an 08 back in April with 10k on it with one PO, and noticed right away this exact whining noise you describe. I poked around on this forum for a while, and saw some people describe similar sounds, but none hit the nail on the head like your description. I was coming from a '99 BMW f650 thumper, and have been immensely pleased with the DL. I figured this sound was just a FI thing, as my other bike is a '71 CB750 with 4 carbs, and the BMW was carbonated as well. I am glad to follow this post. I am in France now for a couple months, and put my bike away before coming here, but Ill post some photos when I get back to Maine in January and dig it out of the shed for a ride.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts