StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for the Wee-Strom ABS model, and I had just put in a deposit for the bike 3 days ago. The dealer could not make any promises to me, but he did offer $8200 OTD on it. I know there is a lot of back order and promises from dealers from another thread, and I was wondering, if I was going to do a bit of riding on dirt roads and such if I really want the ABS. I'm conflicted in making a decision on it, if I want the ABS. It's mostly going to be for a commute to and from work, but on the weekends, I'd like to take it out with a bunch of buddies for dirt roads, back roads & un-maintained. Anyone have any input?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The ABS is easy to disable and, in my opinion, is worth having. I talked to the salesman at my local dealer, told him if he could get any ABS Wee's I could sell them for him instantly. He ran to his office. I saw him a week later, asked how he did locating the ABS bikes, sadly, he shook his head.

Canada is not so far from Jersey, they've got lots'o them up there from what I hear. You might not do any worse than the premium the dealer is demanding locally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not know what it would take to buy the bike out the US and bring it back in. Has anyone known someone who bought a bike from Canada and rode it back to the US?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You'll pay a heck of a premium for a Canadian bike. MSRP is $8999 in Canada V. $7199 in the USA and the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I could always wait for the '09 model, but I don't really want to ride on my 250 for another season and I don't know when 09 will hit the market. Since I'll be using the bike to commute to work, 9/10 times I won't need ABS, but that one time when I do need, it'll be worth the wait.

EDIT:

I've talked to Jack Trebour, Motorcycle Mall, Xtreme Machines, and Rizzon cycles. Everyone dealer but Rizzon said they can get the bike, but that is probably just salesman talk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in the market for the Wee-Strom ABS model, and I had just put in a deposit for the bike 3 days ago. The dealer could not make any promises to me, but he did offer $8200 OTD on it. I know there is a lot of back order and promises from dealers from another thread, and I was wondering, if I was going to do a bit of riding on dirt roads and such if I really want the ABS. I'm conflicted in making a decision on it, if I want the ABS. It's mostly going to be for a commute to and from work, but on the weekends, I'd like to take it out with a bunch of buddies for dirt roads, back roads & un-maintained. Anyone have any input?
I presently have a dl650. I have, in the past owned BMWs with ABS. Here's my take. I liked the ABS on the street and tollorated it on large and mostly smooth dirt roads. When the road turned moderately bad to worst, the ABS option on the BMW could be turned off and that's what I did.
I orginally thought that ABS was just another sales gimmick, I was wrong, they will stop you faster are are well worth the money on the street. AS always, there is a trade off and a decission you personnaly have to make. If you are not going to be on real rough, maybe single track dirt trails, I would not worry about it.
Suzuki could do us all a favor and give us an ABS on-off switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ABS is a big plus for everything else except serious offroad, or track-riding. In normal traffic it is simply a plus which can save your bike or your life. Those who say they can do everything right in a panic situation, probably havent been in one (and Im speaking of us mere mortals here, not some racing geniuses, they might be able to handle it, but the rest of us no).

They work different way between bike models and manufacturers, too, so you shouldnt judge "ABS" as a bad system, if you havent liked it on one bike. It does not mean they are all the same. I think Suzuki DL´s ABS works quite okay, even tried it on ice sometime, and it still stops very well. Ridden it now for 50.000kms without a problem, and also in some 3rd world conditions, so its technical reliability isnt an issue, and its pros far outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had just talked to the guy who sold me wee-strom with ABS and had said that he should be expecting the bike to be in within next week. (He could be lying to just keep my deposit but my 4 of my co-workers went to him for their bikes and he didn't give any of them problems)

I won't be seriously offroading, maybe 5 of my total miles will be off road, and even so, turning off the ABS, after trolling a bit, isn't that hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up taking my deposit back last week and today Moe at Motorcycle Mall called up saying he has a bike on the way. I ended up buying the F800S so the DL650 with ABS is available and up for sale at Motorcycle Mall. I should have waited another couple weeks. :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My dealer said he was refunding depos on ABS Wees - he said he can't get them....
Same thing happened to me with 3 different dealers. Then exactly 3 days after one refunds my deposte, they get 2 Wabs......and they are still unspoken for.

We spend too much time quessing what salespeople know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where is this dealer with the ABS wees located? I have had a very difficult time finding a ABS equipped Wee in mid-atlantic region. I'm in No. Va and a dealer told me Ohio was the closest they could get.. and that dealer (back in March) only had one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts