StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight, for the first time since June '08, my wee gave me trouble.
I'm very puzzled and would like to pick t he collective brain.

- I went to school this morning and parked it outside at 9:30.
- It started raining during the day and the rain got pretty heavy.
- This is nothing unusual as my bike's always slept outside (and it always rains in Vancouver).
- At 22:00, after a long day at school, I tried to start it and the engine failed to run. The starter worked just fine, it's just that the engine would die.
- I had to keep the throttle open to get the bike to run. It ran fine as long as the throttle was open and would die as soon as I closed the throttle. The rpms dropped very quickly, but were not sluggish to climb.
- After a while, the bike kept running on its own, but at 1,000 rpm. It also displayed a red light and "FI".
- I shut it down with the killswitch and restarted it; It settled into a normal idle but kept displayign the light/FI
- I rode home that way (15 km) and the bike behaved normally except for the red light on the dash (and that's pretty quacking bright at night with a visor full of rain).
- I stopped at the beer store and took the key out; the bike functioned normally after that (800 metres to my house); not trouble starting, and not red light.

Any thoughts? Is it time to park it and ride the bmw? Is it time to shop for a new bike? Will it do it again? Do I need to consult a dealer and have the code pulled?

I don't believe problems randomly appear and then automagically solve themselves. I'd like to know what went wrong and how I can fix it. Can I fix it myself?

And I can't really use the cage to go to school, because the [email protected]$%# trunk won't stay shut...

Help?
Thanks.

PS: I know a bit about engines, and my first guess would be bad/wet plug connector, except that the bike was for sure running on both cylinders. That, and the fact that my bike is no stranger to rain.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Clean out the drain hole for the front top plug. It's in the block on the right side.

Compressed air is probably easiest.

Filled up with water and it's finally seeped in under the cap.

(Best guess)

Keeping that clear is normally enough, but it'd be a good idea to pull the cap off, clean and dry it and coat the rubber end with silicone grease - unfortunately - it's a real PITA to do.

Pete

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd suspect the plugs as well. Getting to the plugs to check for water is always a pain.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Water in the gas? Siphon the gas out and get new gas from a different station...and check that you aren't getting water into the tank around the gas cap. Use a fuel treatment that emulsifies any remaining water so it'll pass through the engine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yeah.... it's toast...

Oh it is done now, might as well get rid of it.....I'll Give you 100 bucks for it

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
You filled up at Petro Canada, didn't you?

Water in the fuel. Go for a long ride and burn the tank out. Re-fill with proper fuel.

Fixed.

Been there; done that.

The FI light, however, suggests water in a connector. So, to be safe, ride southward until you hit desert country. Ride in tight circles, first to the left, then to the right, both at high speed so as to employ the powers of centrifical force to expell the offending droplet. All will return to normal. Then sell the bike cheap on Craigslist before it rains again.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If your bike has an O2 sensor check the wiring and connector on the pipe. If it gets soaked the sensor may not be triggering properly and the FI light will come on and the idle mixture will be stuffed up. Had something similar happen on a long ride in torrential rain, bike ran properly underway, no misfiring etc, but would not idle and the FI light was showing. Tracked it down to the wiring at that connector which looked like it may have been pulled out a bit and let water in the gap at the top. It will clear of its own accord once the heat dries things out again; mine only did it the once and it was fine the next day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tonight, for the first time since June '08, my wee gave me trouble.
I'm very puzzled and would like to pick t he collective brain.

- I went to school this morning and parked it outside at 9:30.
- It started raining during the day and the rain got pretty heavy.
- This is nothing unusual as my bike's always slept outside (and it always rains in Vancouver).
- At 22:00, after a long day at school, I tried to start it and the engine failed to run. The starter worked just fine, it's just that the engine would die.
- I had to keep the throttle open to get the bike to run. It ran fine as long as the throttle was open and would die as soon as I closed the throttle. The rpms dropped very quickly, but were not sluggish to climb.
- After a while, the bike kept running on its own, but at 1,000 rpm. It also displayed a red light and "FI".
- I shut it down with the killswitch and restarted it; It settled into a normal idle but kept displayign the light/FI
- I rode home that way (15 km) and the bike behaved normally except for the red light on the dash (and that's pretty quacking bright at night with a visor full of rain).
- I stopped at the beer store and took the key out; the bike functioned normally after that (800 metres to my house); not trouble starting, and not red light.

Any thoughts? Is it time to park it and ride the bmw? Is it time to shop for a new bike? Will it do it again? Do I need to consult a dealer and have the code pulled?

I don't believe problems randomly appear and then automagically solve themselves. I'd like to know what went wrong and how I can fix it. Can I fix it myself?

And I can't really use the cage to go to school, because the [email protected]$%# trunk won't stay shut...

Help?
Thanks.

PS: I know a bit about engines, and my first guess would be bad/wet plug connector, except that the bike was for sure running on both cylinders. That, and the fact that my bike is no stranger to rain.
No, it's not time to ride the Brittle Money Waster:biggrinjester:. Get your Strom to a Suzuki dealer who has the SDS equipment and is familiar with using it. The code(s) that popped your light on will still be in the ECU memory. There may be more than one but probably not. Ask them to clear the memory after they write down what they found. Your '08 doesn't have an O2 sensor. And I don't think a wet plug cap will pop a code either. The ECU doesn't know if the coil is sparking across a plug gap or from the cap to the engine.

The thing that came to mind when I read your symptoms was a faulty TPS or connection there. I've heard of moisture causing similar symptoms in other brands/models. Water in the fuel probably isn't a factor since it ran fine before it was parked and it ran ok above idle. Yeah, the water could have settled during the period it was parked. But it would have missed above idle as well. After you ran it for awhile, moisture may have left the scene and it ran fine from then on. Other sensors that *might* be the problem but not likely are the Intake Air Pressure sensor, Atmospheric pressure sensor, and coolant temp sensor. Whatever it was, it left its tracks in ECU memory. The problems that throw a code are *usually* the easy ones to solve.

By the way, if you ever see a BLINKING FI light while you are cranking the starter, give up. Blinking FI = some condition exists where the ECU cannot calculate the correct spark or fuel injection firing and it's not going to start.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The water in fuel suggestion sounds likely; easy enough to check with some Dri-Gas or Seafoam.

But, when you mentioned cycling the ignition helped, it reminded me of the TPS issues I had with my bike. Same symptoms. If it happens again, try letting it die, cycle the throttle from closed to WFO 4-5 times, cycle the ignition, then restart. I rode mine doing that from time to time for over a year.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
been known to happen on my Vee, but only temporarily, all my FI code problems have been due to corrosion in the wire harness & connectors

ever heard of an invention called the bungee cord

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
I had a similar issue after several rain days (and the bike parked outside at work as normal.). It was a plugged spark plug drain hole as mentioned by a previous poster.

..To,

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
[...]

ever heard of an invention called the bungee cord
That's what's keeping my trunk shut for the last week, but while I trust my neighbours, I'm not so sure nobody will try to get into my car through there in the school's parking lot.

I'm waiting to have some time off so I can take the mechanism apart and have a look at what's fubar. I may have to swap it out.

In my cars, I used to check for codes with a paper clip. Maybe I'll check if there's a way to do that on the '08 strom. I hope the search feature works.

Edit:
Didn't the search box on the site get fixed ot only search this site? It ain't working anymore; I had to do the GOOGLE: "[replace with your search term] site:www.stromtrooper.com" thing to find the faq at vstrom.info.
Should the ecu have stored the code? Some of what I read was ambiguous. I'll have to go see if I can get at that connector and keep you posted.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now the battery is dead, wtf?

So I couldn't get any codes, because turning the ignition to "on" did nothing.
I checked the battery, and there's 2.7 volts across the terminals.

What the quack is going on with my bike?

No: I did not leave the ignition on "Lock" and drain the battery overnight. Yes the battery is the original from 2008, but that's a strange way for it to die. All the bike's electronics are stock.

I'll put the battery on a trickle charger when I get home later tonight, but it will take a good two days to charge (if it does), and by then the code will be gone.
At this point, I just want to get my bike running again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just been there too!

My battery died last week. Went to Cycle Gear and paid a few more bucks and have a life time waranty on the new battery. Just go to a Cycle gear and they will replace it no receipt to carry. Mine started acting flackkky last fall at SLAP. Since then 3-4 starts and it was almost dead. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1 on buying a new battery. My Superduke battery died last year with VERY similar symptoms. FI light, and the whole works....

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll buy the battery as a cause if I must, but the battery was cranking strong on monday night, and even then, a bad battery wouldn't drop to zero overnight without a load on it, would it?

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
I'll buy the battery as a cause if I must, but the battery was cranking strong on monday night, and even then, a bad battery wouldn't drop to zero overnight without a load on it, would it?
It could if it had an internal short caused by a (sulphate?) bridge.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 46 Posts