Strom Trooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely new to motorcycles and this is my first bike (2008 weestrom abs), I really appreciate the community and articles here as they have helped me get the bike in almost tip top shape.

PO did a recent oil change and brake fluid flush.
I've already flushed the coolant and installed some sw-motech crashbars and a center stand and I replaced the dried out pirelli scorpions with some metzeler roadtecs. I also purchased some new dust seals for the front forks and plan to do that next. I might save for a bit and get new springs/emulators for when I do that.

I followed the walkthroughs here to perform the external fuel filter and holy cow it's a brand new bike! I'm very happy as it feels completely different.

I purchased the recommended Dorman 800-081 quick disconnects and Mahle KL 145 fuel filter from Amazon and I picked up some fuel injection line and FI clamps (not screw drive!) from my FLAPS. FLAPS actually way undercharged me for the FI line too ($1.09/foot!) which I didn't realize until I got home.

Only piece of advice I have to add which I've done on numerous vehicles, is using a Sharpie to write down the mileage/date on the filter so you don't have to remember them...
I have a pic in my albums but I can't post them yet being a new user.

The test ride was great and the bike feels wonderful. The fuel pump is MUCH quieter and the throttle response is super smooth and consistent now. I even stopped to refuel the bike. When I got back from my test ride, I noticed a very strong fuel smell. I checked the bottom of the tank, and the fuel line/filter, and even the notorious 3" line between the throttle bottles... and they were all good. During the inspection, a small leak was revealed under the right side fairing above the exhaust that was definitely fuel... I know the previous owner removed the charcoal canister so I pulled the seat and checked that line. When the bike is running you can see fuel bubbling out of it!!!

Pics are in my album... can't post them as a new user.

I refueled 4.8 gallons (according to the pump) when the fuel gauge showed the blinking fuel warning so I believe I didn't over fill. Additionally, it's ~1" from the fill hole.

My questions -

What could be cause fuel to come out of this line?
I attempted running the bike with the fuel cap open to vent any pressure (just in case) and the fuel still bubbled out of the vent line.
Should I plug the line? Is there a check valve of some sort?
Should I empty the tank to below the vent line?
Anything else to check/verify?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up routing that vent tube down along the other vent tubes and going for another ride.
It doesn't seem to consistently leak... some additional searching revealed this is rather common behavior so I'll keep an eye on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts