StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone has had the same issue and can point me in the right direction? in the first video the bike starts but bogs. i changed the fuel pump strainer and high pressure regulator nothing changed. After this i swaped out throttle bodies because I thought they failed, but still nothing. Second video was this morning the pump primes bike will crank, but wont turn over? I thought maybe low power so I had it on a charger/jumper while running this video, voltagte was good under load. Really fustrated and dont know what else to do at this point any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
From the first video, it sounds like the engine fires but doesn't want to idle. The second video, sounds like there is not enough or too much fuel. As you know, fueling is under the control of the ECU on your K8 Wee.
There are a few questions that come to mind, that need answers:
1) what changed from the last time that you rode the bike and is the fuel fresh
2) did you do a fuel flow test, Fuel flow check
3) have you checked for spark on both cylinders
4) what is the condition of the air filter
5) when last where the valves checked.
Have you read My Bike Won't Start ?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Spray in some starter fluid to see if it will run. That rules out spark being the issue.

First video indicates the battery is dying towards the end. Second video: Did you try to start with full open throttle? Engine may be flooded?

My WEE would not want to start without issues when the battery was old. It cranked just fine but was hard to fire and get going. Needed full open throttle and extended cranking. New battery and all was back to normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the first video, it sounds like the engine fires but doesn't want to idle. The second video, sounds like there is not enough or too much fuel. As you know, fueling is under the control of the ECU on your K8 Wee.
1) the bike died while I was out, so I towed it home. Changed all of my plugs first, then I cleaned out my fuel pump and replaced the strainer/ did the fuel mod.
2) did a flow test before the strainer fix and it was very low, will go try and do another one to report back!
3) yep! I checked for spark on every fresh plug and gapped them all to the correct spec.
4) air filter is spotless, small oil in the airbox but I think that’s from a tip over and I cleaned it with paper towels.

5) I don’t know when a valve check was done, I picked the bike up at 22k. I think I have 28k or 9 atm.

One thing to add is I checked all of the switches, also I got it to crank over with starting fluid. Yet when it started up it died due to having no fuel I’ll attach a video. I suspect fuel delivery is my problems before I head to a valve check, but honestly I’m lost so any wise words are very appreciated!

Previous strainer/plugs

(starter fluid gets the bike over )

(Spark test before gapping)

(spark test after gapping)

[/5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spray in some starter fluid to see if it will run. That rules out spark being the issue.

First video indicates the battery is dying towards the end. Second video: Did you try to start with full open throttle? Engine may be flooded?

My WEE would not want to start without issues when the battery was old. It cranked just fine but was hard to fire and get going. Needed full open throttle and extended cranking. New battery and all was back to normal.
how would I be able to tell if I flooded the engine ? I have it jumped with a car battery because I didn’t want to kill the bike doing all of these test. I have a charger that I’m going charge and switch the bike onto. With starting fluid it starts !! See my video above I feel like I’m so close to figuring it out but no cigar yet !

·
Administrator
5,535 Posts
Have you done a second fuel flow test yet?
If good perhaps you then might try refitting the original throttle bodies.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
It looks like your low on fuel pressure or low on compression.

As the bike stopped while riding fuel is more likely.

Like some others if my battery is low I need to open the throttle to get my bike to fire up even though it sounds like it is cranking fast enough.

Reactions: blaustrom

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
The video with the starter fluid: It did not run, just trying to run. Did you open the throttle full?
You need to give it more fluid and get the engine running for a bit. Normally with starter fluid the engine fires right away and runs until the fluid is consumed. Yours did not do that.

It may still be a bad battery. Measure the V of the battery:
-ignition off,
-on,
-cranking
and report the readings please.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spark plugs will be wet and often a strong smell of fuel out the exhaust pipe. The oil in the air box is normally either from bike taking a nap, or over filling the oil level (Engine oil in the air box) or from high speed riding for extended periods (A high speed oil use error I've been making for years).
Waiting on your fuel flow test results.
plugs are not wet. I think this is a fuel delivery problem, just tested the fuel flow and its sitting below 100ml I did it in a measuring cup that estimates. I read on another forum I should be 168ml at 10 seconds, but this might not be for my bike ? I will upload the fuel test video once I get my phone charged and on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The video with the starter fluid: It did not run, just trying to run. Did you open the throttle full?
You need to give it more fluid and get the engine running for a bit. Normally with starter fluid the engine fires right away and runs until the fluid is consumed. Yours did not do that.

It may still be a bad battery. Measure the V of the battery:
-ignition off,
-on,
-cranking
and report the readings please.
On 12.3
Cranking 10
I don't think its the battery I've had it on a charger since Friday. I just did a fuel flow test and came out below 100 ml suspecting this is my issue, but don't know the root of the cause. I replaced the strainer, high-pressure housing, did the external fuel mod, and changed o rings because I noticed some wear on them.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Charging the battery will achieve nothing if it is failing, voltage readings will tell you what you need to know about your system.

A low enough reading could also explain your low volume during the fuel test.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
There is reason why the fuel flow cycle is done 3 times, is to get a average fuel flow volume (Quick fuel pump flow test.). Post #7 by Rolex suggested that you check on the fuel pressure. This can be done by placing your thumb over the fuel outlet to seal it and then switch ignition on to activate the fuel pump prime. This test will allow you to feel if there is a strong fuel pressure against your thumb. Note your thumb must maintain a tight seal and be prepared for fuel spay if the pressure is too great.
To test the low battery theory, jumper a second battery to your bike battery terminals when starting or doing the fuel flow test. Make sure the the polarity is correct, as you don't want to damage the ECU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts