StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'08 vs '06 Wee?

Hi, newbie on the site and I'm hoping to purchase a Wee in the next few weeks. From everything I've read on here, this is the bike for me :D

Now, here's my dilemma. I have found a used '06 with 2600 miles on it for $5000, but a local dealer quoted me an '08, non-abs for $5999. Of course with the new one, I'm sure there will be the usual set up charges and other add ons they come up with.....is the '08 a better buy than the '06 or should I save a little money for farkles.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think if the 1000+ dollars for the new one with a full warrenty gives you piece of mind , buy it, not to mention resale value, but if not , go used , cheaper to insure...less tax. what about colors? which color do you like best? myself. i'd go used and never look back

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A used bike is almost always a better buy if bang for the buck is the only criterion. The '08 has better emissions control if you are a green type. It also has a 400W alternator instead of a 375 if you run extra lights or heated gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your opinions guys......................hmmmmm. I also just ran across an '07 with 5k miles, Givi hardcases and windshield, handguards, etc.......asking $6200 with all the farkles.........

nevermind............ he just sold it

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've come to the same conclusion that used may be the best option. I understand that the 07 and 08 models are identical. What are the differences year-to-year going back about 5 model years?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the '06 has sold and now I've found an '05 less than a mile from my house. It has 10k miles on it, excellent shape, centerstand, handguards, tailbag, and new michelins for $4400 firm.........is that a good price?

help me out here please............

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
450 Posts
That doesn't sound bad. Kelley Blue Book shows the following for that model year:

private party retail: $4750

trade-in value: $3270

So if it's in "excellent shape" with the extra's and color you want and close by... buy it!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
A used bike is almost always a better buy if bang for the buck is the only criterion. The '08 has better emissions control if you are a green type. It also has a 400W alternator instead of a 375 if you run extra lights or heated gear.

Was the 08 Wee the first year with the 400 W alternator?

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other Considerations

The 07 and 08 models do have the dual spark, which is more efficient, not only emissions-wise, but also provides better fuel economy. I recently read on some mpg chart for motorcyles this information. The chart showed about 4-5 miles increase in mpg, from 50 to 54.5

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The K7 and K8 are also 15mm longer than the K4 through K6 models.
They have a longer swing arm to allow for the ABS (even the non ABS models have the longer arm)
The positioning of the exhaust under the engine is different so you have to be careful with bash plate fitting.
The switch blocks on the handlebars are different so you need the correct hand guards if you want to fit them.
There is a rubber frame protector where the swing arm axle goes through the frame that is not fitted to the earlier models.
The engine changes have been mentioned.
That's about it.

·
38,048 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts