StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an ongoing problem with my 08 650 vstrom, it blows fuses when I ride in the rain of WA state.

The conditions are heavy rain (this is WA after all) after several miles I will notice that the lights and instruments are out (I know they are all on the same circuit) and I will stop and replace the 15 amp fuse usually with as high as 25 amp but that one will blow some times as soon as I change the fuse and touch the brake or one time as soon as I put up the side stand.

I have taken apart every connection and applied dialectic grease but that did not help.

I also have hot hand style covers on my controls so I don't think water is effecting connections there.

I have grip heaters installed and the dealer says the circuit is overloaded but he can't duplicate the problem ( will still blow with the heaters off)

The fuse has never blown with out rain.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
First, never replace a fuse with a higher value. The wiring will get hotter and can melt through the insulation. You could very well have that condition. A hot wire, probably orange with a green stripe for that fuse or an added wire for the grip heaters, may be rubbing through the insulation and intermittently contacting a frame member. There could also be a short in the grip heaters.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think the basic place to start is to disconect everything that is not factory installed. This may be a problem if it has been integrated with other wiring, but the factory wiring should not have a problem.

That said, who did the install of the aftermarket stuff? It may be that when you disconnect the extra gear, you may see some bad wiring which could cause the problem.

If the bike works in the rain with nothing else connected, start connecting one thing at a time and see when it fails, I hope you like riding in the rain :)

Cheers
TravelllingStrom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the grip heaters and it blew before I installed them but It was a dry summer and did not start blowing until winter here.

It will blow with them disconnected also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have gone threw the wiring as best as I can but there are no obvious damage that I can find.

I am an Aircraft mechanic and have some experience with electrical wiring but would not say I am an electrician.

Are there any know problems

My bike has 50,000 miles on it in 2 years all freeway commuting no off road ridding.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
In some 2005 models, there was a problem with a misrouted harness under the seat on the left side. The result was the harness rubbed against a short vertical stiffener that had a bit of a sharp edge. That's the only stock bike electrical problem that blew fuses that I've ever heard of. One thing to try is to wire a headlight bulb across the fuse terminals. A normal load will barely make it glow but a short will light it up. With the bulb in place and the ignition on, prod the wiring harness or wet it a section at a time to figure out what area lights the bulb.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Next time the fuse blows, switch to Park position and see if the ignition fuse blows (yeah, have a spare so you can make it home if it does!) The tail lights, license plate lights, and the power to the 4-way flashers (including the sidestand/flasher combo relay!) get their power off a different circuit when in Park. If it doesn't blow, the fault is likely with the brake circuit: Do the brake lamps look OK? - sometimes the lamp itself can do weird things. (ie filament partial short - filament breaks and re-welds itself ). If you look in the fuse after it blows - does it look merely melted, or does it look like a sudden sort-of explosion? (ie overload vs sudden short). Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
what is park position and I replaced all the light bulbs and it still blew the fuse
Turn the bars to full lock left and rotate the key all the way counter clockwise to the "park" position, which will light up the tail light.

·
Registered
984 Posts
H2O

Water is getting into one of the conections for the heated grips and causing the problem. Your dealer will be able to reproduce the problem if he sprays water at those connector spots. It will short wether the grips are turned on or not. Had the same problem with a Powerlet conector I had on my Wee for my heated jacket liner. You need to seal those conrctions 100%.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Similar problem - How did you solve it?

Please let me know if you get this fixed. I have a similar problem, except mine is not weather realted. My idiot dealer* fixed the problem with a 20 amp fuse. I plan on bringing it to another dealer for another review.

* My dealer charged me for two spark plugs for my motorcycle at my 600 mile service call. I asked why and and he said it was a good idea to change my spark plugs. I pointed out that I have four spark plugs and that I either should have four spark plugs or none. He suggested that I bring back the motorcycle for the other two and I said change them now. He said I really do not need them and he promised a refund for the two. Of course I never got the refund.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
...My idiot dealer* fixed the problem with a 20 amp fuse. I plan on bringing it to another dealer for another review.

* My dealer charged me for two spark plugs for my motorcycle at my 600 mile service call. I asked why and and he said it was a good idea to change my spark plugs. I pointed out that I have four spark plugs and that I either should have four spark plugs or none. He suggested that I bring back the motorcycle for the other two and I said change them now. He said I really do not need them and he promised a refund for the two. Of course I never got the refund.

Holy shit...that is one dealership who should be out of business. :jawdrop: I mean that is just terrible! :headbang:

Anyway I would start by disconnecting ALL the accessories and seeing if it still happens. Also what work has been done on the bike since the problem started? It may be something that was removed and reinstalled...Perhaps a wire got pinched between two hard parts and caused a cut in the insulation allowing water to get in there and short it to the frame.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Givi case

The problem seemed to start after a Givi case was installed by the dealer, which does have a light. But I see lots of those in these forums, so I still tend to think it was a faulty installation.

I posted a complaint with the Better Business Bureau after posting on this forum. I did not know until a few months ago how useful they were (or can be, one local dealer has some unresolved cases, but they have a terrible reputation anyway). Years ago the BBB did not get involved in small disputes like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plan on doing that but the dealer says he can not duplicate.

I greased the connection with Dialectic grease but I'm going to just terminate the factory one with weather proof butt splices and run a separate fused run to the battery

1 - 15 of 15 Posts