StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have owned my 07 DL1000 for about 2-3 months now, have put about 5k miles on the clock, and I'm steadily averaging 32-34mpg. I've searched some and people seem to get in the low 40's more commonly. It is all stock except a Cobra piggyback fuel controller, and a K&N filter. I understand these will drop mpgs, so after I got it I turned the Cobra off and the bike ran WAY too lean, header was glowing in a couple of minutes.

Long story short, any suggestions on what I should do to help? I am sick of only getting like 150 miles on a tank, my daily commute is 90 miles round trip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds about normal to me. I average between 32-35 MPG. 02 DL1000, PC3, K&N Filter with 2 Bro. Pipes. You can get better mileage but the stumbling and surging will be evident. My .02 cents worth. You might try to check the TPS and make sure the throttle bodies are in sync.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
You guys are doing something wrong. I rode a DL1000 from Nashville to Phoenix by way of Colorado and Utah averaged 40+ mpg with full luggage. It's bone stock, no PC-III, no nothing except a K&N air filter. No surging, no stumbling, no nothing. It wasn't my bike and the owner didn't tune it, but the guy who did obviously knows something. All I can tell you is that it CAN be done.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You guys are doing something wrong. I rode a DL1000 from Nashville to Phoenix by way of Colorado and Utah averaged 40+ mpg with full luggage. It's bone stock, no PC-III, no nothing except a K&N air filter. No surging, no stumbling, no nothing. It wasn't my bike and the owner didn't tune it, but the guy who did obviously knows something. All I can tell you is that it CAN be done.
You are right it can be done. Mine is minus a pcIII. With a proper TBS and a TPS, and making sure the secondary plates are adjusted your bike can and will settle down without the stumble (Though I am sure a pcIII will help even more). You can still feel the bike pull better above 4k but the farting and coughing will be gone. I did have mine yoshed but it took my mileage from 50mpg down to 42-45MPG. I am thinking of having it zeroed back out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My '07 has a K&N filter and a set of 2 Bros cans (with DB killer tips) with the stock mapping and mine runs just fine. I generally see 48-50mpg in mixed riding of 65 mph and less. I tried a PCIII and found the fuel mileage was really poor and really didn't make my bike run much better (Fuel Moto map for '07). I could have played around with the mapping till the cows came home, but really wasn't into that.

Yes, mine is a little lean down low, but doesn't effect the rideability any.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
with the 1k's I think its important to keep up with TPS adjustment and TB syncronization

my 07 is totally stock engine, no yosh or teka mods when I first got it, milage was 39½± as I put more miles the economy improved, before I knew it, I was getting 42±, I got 65k miles now and get 44-45 but it hasn't improved in several thousand miles, I think the milage plateaued when I had 25-30k

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Some have reported minor gas leaks on the hose connections etc.

32/33 is wrong. I am note sure of the cobra off and too lean. Someone may have been screwing with the map etc.

I have had mine YEKA boxed. It gets 39 to 42 and pulls from 2500 RPMS

Tighten or replace fuel hoses get a new air filter, maybe due valve check and iridium spark plugs. Then find a dyno place with a teka or Yosh box and get her remapped.

You will be smoother, more power, and better MPG

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Stock 07 with 18k miles. With passenger in sidecar and gear weighed 1350 lbs. we did 2300 miles in Wy & Mt 2 weeks ago and averaged near 35 mpg. 16/45 gears

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've only had my Vee for a few weeks but i'm averaging 45 mpg. It has a PC111 and Leo Vince pipes. TB was recently synced and iridium plugs installed. I'm very pleased eith the milage! :yesnod:

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
That sures seems low.... The lowest I,ve seen is maybe 38, the highest was 52.... But mostly mid 40's is the norm..... PC3, K&N filter........

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
There's something really wrong there. Although it was pre ethanol, my 07 Vee that I bought new got 39-41 up to 17000 miles before I sold it in 2009.

An independent shop did the TBS thing and that helped a lot too as it sputtered at low revs once it has 10000 miles on it or so.

Rod

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
In full adjustment (TPS, TBS, secondaries), with a PCIII running a map to correct the 3-4k lean surge, I average about 35mpg. Stock it was about 40mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was hoping to hear that it was possible, so that's good news. thanks guys, I will take it to the shop soon as I am virtually illiterate with FI tuning, but I definately want fuel range over a few extra ponies, this is my commuter/long distance mule, not a track bike. I bought the bike with 22k on the clock and modded, but don't know what was done exactly for fuel mapping/intake other than the cobra fuel controller. I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
On my bike the luggage is what makes the biggest difference in mpg. Those Givi bags are like air brakes at highway speeds.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MPG

I get at least 42 M.P.G. no matter how I ride my stock 2008 and I am a fat guy. I did notice around 40 M.P.G. in the N.C. and Tennessee mountains but I was running higher R.P.M. there as well.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
just filled mine up

Just filled my '09 vee this afternoon 193.6 miles fill to the top 4.23 gal of 90 octane, non-ethynol, boat fuel.
===== hmmmmmm let's see, 193.6 divided by 4.23 , hmmmm dat's 45.76 = it's box stock engine, untouched. I was hoping for more. I get a little better MPG on my '05, 1700 Roadstar, it gets 49-50 MPG same 90 octane, non-ethynol, boat fuel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts