StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my buddy my '07 DL650A a few years ago and he just sold it to my SIL. I know it sat in his garage for 2 years. Yesterday SIL said it would bog at anything over 40 mph and fresh fuel did not help. I suspect a clogged pump, but instead of doing the pump mods, would just replacing the pump be easier? Something like this:

Kemso in tank fuel pump

Or are we asking for trouble?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The pump is normally only changed when either a fuel pump fails totally or whines badly / is extremely noisy. It is not simply a matter of changing the fuel pump, in order to solve a restricted fuel flow. The upper plastic casing of the pump, makes up the high pressure filter section of the complete fuel pump assembly and the strainer makes up the low pressure fuel filter. See the parts list https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2007/v-strom-dl650a/fuel-pump I suspect that either a injector may be clogged due to old fuel or either of the fuel filters may be clogged up / damaged.
I suggest the first step would be to do a fuel flow test, before doing anything else. See Quick fuel pump flow test.. If the volume and pressure is too low, then a filter may be blocked. The strainer is the least expensive, when compared to the price of the complete pump assembly. To my knowledge, the high pressure section is not sold separately and thus it is less expensive to go the external.fuel filter route, external fuel filter modification than buying a complete pump assembly.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,066 Posts
What he said.

Having done it on my DL1000, I don't think it's all that much "harder" to do the inline filter mod vs. swap out the pump. Have to remove the tank and pull the pump either way.

The only additional steps are drilling the bypass hole, and making a replacement fuel delivery hose (with the inline filter).

This is all assuming of course that the flow test reveals slow pump flow, due to clogged hi-pressure filter. I suppose it's possible the injectors are clogged without that happening, but it seems unlikely.

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the tanks off multiple times, never pulled a pump though. Appreciate the info and yes I was planning on doing the fuel flow test.....thanks for the links, off to study them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
In reference to what Gert said. It can be very difficult to determine whether your pump motor is bad or your high pressure filter is clogged. I have done a high pressure bypass with external inline filter and it worked fine but I decided to put it back to stock. Stock fuel pump failed, Quantum fuel pump failed and the Quantum check valve does not work, meaning that when you pull the fuel line it free flows all the gas out. I just bought one from the brand Fuel Pump Factory (But turns out it came from the same people that sold me the quantum) and it is working as it should after 500 mi. I also bought a new high pressure filter, and yes you can buy them from motosport.com for $114. The plastic cap is actually called fuel pressure regulator, and it comes with a new regulator.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Kirk, thanx for sharing this info. I found your above reply interesting reading. While I can't access the motosport site at the moment, to look up prices. The motosport.com site message states: "Due to GDPR regulations, MotoSport.com is no longer available in the European Union. For questions regarding existing orders, product support, and warranty returns, please contact [email protected]. We're sorry, we cannot place new orders for EU customers. We're working hard to become available to you again in the future.". Never-the-less it is good to know that there is an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator solution available.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,066 Posts
That's a difference between the Vee and Wee, yes.

2007 DL1000 has a high pressure fuel filter assembly (that I think comes with a pressure regulator as well) that's $265-ish. Yeesh. Thus the popularity of the inline filter mod.

2007 DL650 has basically the same setup, though differently-shaped. "Only" $114 @ Motosport (excellent price BTW, Partzilla wants $144).

I'd probably still do the inline bypass. You can get the fittings, hose, filter, and FI clamps for way way less than $114. And it's much easier to service, should you manage to put enough miles on it a second time, that you actually need to change the filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kirk, thanx for sharing this info. I found your above reply interesting reading. While I can't access the motosport site at the moment, to look up prices. The motosport.com site message states: "Due to GDPR regulations, MotoSport.com is no longer available in the European Union. For questions regarding existing orders, product support, and warranty returns, please contact [email protected]. We're sorry, we cannot place new orders for EU customers. We're working hard to become available to you again in the future.". Never-the-less it is good to know that there is an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator solution available.
Not aftermarket, factory. So you should be able to find someone in your region that sells them. A lot of people do not seem to know that these are available.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I was lead to understand, that our local spares agent only sold the complete fuel pump assembly and that they couldn't order the individual high pressure filter separately. Strainers they have in stock. Maybe just not enough demand for this high pressure filter, on this side of the world, for the agent to carry as a stock item.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,066 Posts
The high pressure filter plus regulator a should be available as standalone assys. That's a shame they will only sell you the entire stack.

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled the tank and pump.....RUST everywhere....arggghh. I made a plate to seal the pump access hole and it's full of a de-greaser now, next is fill it up with Evaporust for 24hrs and re-evaluate. Looks like half a tank of fuel was in there and phase separated.......ethanol ............the scourge of North America!

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it's salvageable. I scraped off a area inside the tank with a long screw driver, then wiped with a rag and most came off leaving no pits. This is exactly why I fill my tank up before winter, dump in some Seafoam and run it for 5 min before tucking it in for a 3 month nap.

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Using a hunk of innertube and a aluminium plate I made a 'cap' for the fuel pump port. After flushing the tank I snapped a pic of what the inside looked like below the fill inlet:

We bought a 5 gallon pail of Evaportust from Home Depot which almost filled the tank, let it sit for 24 hrs, then tilted it up on its end to get the rest of the inside for another 24hrs. This is the result:

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gathering parts for the fuel pump bypass. For those that have done it, did you replace the sock/pre-filter at the bottom of the fuel pump? This one looked like this:

I already drilled a hole in the housing and back flushed the **** out of what used to be the built in filter. Since the damned filter disintegrated and became part of the problem, I am seriously considering not using the sock filter at all. I realize that the new inline filter is after the pump and before the throttle bodies, so no help for the pump at all.

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and I thought you guys were wrong, I read that the fuel line needed to be replaced because it was a hard plastic tube, not rubber. Mine was rubber, so I picked a spot for the Wix filter and cut the line in two.....wouldn't you know the line IS rubber WITH a hard plastic tube inside it.....dammit.....

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,066 Posts
Re: low pressure filter/"sock", I'd replace it. Cheap insurance against pump damage if something gritty makes it in the tank.

Mine was pristine when I did the bypass.

I did not attempt to backflush the high pressure filter. I figured I was bypassing it, so why bother?

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was a lot of crap in there, so even with the bypass hole, some fuel would be flowing thru it so I figured it was best. Sock is ordered off the 'bay for $10 shipped. One would think that Suzy would build a pre-filter that would not crumble...should have been made out of SS screen....bad Suzy.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,066 Posts
It's weird that your sock got so torn up. Mine had minimal debris after 50000+ miles, and was still pliable and sound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts