Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’ve come across an 07 650 with 31k miles. Negotiated a price of $1500. Overall it’s in decent shape with a few good farkles, Givi crashbars, Seargent seat, oem top-case, and a tall windscreen that I don’t care for, maybe madstad bracket, forgot to look...
Anyway it needs all the normal maintenance stuff done along with brakes and tires eventually. It’s been in some salt air and has a little rust here and there but nothing major.

Idle is high and inconsistent , clutch is a bit short before the bike will roll and of course the slight clutch shudder is present.
Red light is solid on the dash as well as an FI indication. Has had very little run time in the last 2 years, fuel prob needs flushing out as well. The seat release lock is jacked up too. I think s good take down and clean and lube will help a lot.
But the bike runs normally and stops and everything appears to work ok. The current owner has had it for 7 years and the chain and sprockets are fairly new.

I kinda want to get the old booger back in good shape and probably keep it or possibly move it on to a friend or family member.
So please chime in and let me know what y’all think on this....
I’m pretty handy with a wrench but prob won’t do anything too major.
Does it sound like a money pit and a pain in the ass or worth doing?
I’m leaning pretty hard towards doing it but would love to hear you guys input.
Thanks, JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
The 07 should have the idle controlled by the ECM. That plus the FI/red light warning indicates a problem that will need attention. Probably minor, since the bike runs well otherwise. Check codes, may be able to bargain for an even better price. Pics look good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 07 should have the idle controlled by the ECM. That plus the FI/red light warning indicates a problem that will need attention. Probably minor, since the bike runs well otherwise. Check codes, may be able to bargain for an even better price. Pics look good.

I’m thinking the exposure to the salt air environment may be causing some electrical gremlins, hope a good cleaning and some dielectric grease may help there, this is one of my main concerns, the salt air can be a bad deal. It was kept in a garage but at the beach.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, I see in the pics it has the Mastad brackets. That is alot of bike for $1500. As pictured, the farkles probably cost at least that much..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I see in the pics it has the Mastad brackets. That is alot of bike for $1500. As pictured, the farkles probably cost at least that much..

Yeah I was thinking it’s a good project. Hard to find anything for that much $ these days.
Funny I was kinda looking around for a 250-650 dual sport to go with my 14 V2 and I end up with another Strom. Hoping my nephew or brother may want it, if not I’ll prob put some more dirt oriented tires and use it more off-road, ride the V2 street and touring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JUMP on it!

I would.

I spent much of my youth in your neck of the woods. Nne years, 3 years at a time on the Naval Air station.

"Worlds whitest Beaches."

It’s a great area, lots of people do some time here in the Navy and end up staying or coming back! It has been discovered...and these days it gets pretty crowded with tourists in summer, but the beach is beautiful!
I may be getting a few doodads for this bike so I’ll check with you Rick, Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s a done deal, in the garage and half torn down.
I need a seat release cable and the lock and key for seat release mechanism.
Bike bandit has it new for a little over $100, anybody have any ideas for used parts. I haven’t checked eBay yet but I will. Thanks in advance.
JP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also code for FI indication is C-40, about to look that one up now...

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are a lot of motorcycle salvage yards in Calif. You may even try checking in with some of them for the seat release cable and key. One never knows...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C40 is ISC circuit. (Idle speed control.) Should be an easy fix, looks like you got a good deal.

Thanks!, yeah, cleaning up pretty good, I think with some tlc it’ll be good for another 30k miles. Found a used ISC valve on eBay fro 47$, going to get the front bodywork off tomorrow and see if I can find and inspect this valve, will check/change air filter and maybe plugs while I’m in there. Anyone that has worked on this valve let me know, I don’t have a shop manual, just winging it..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts