StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an 05 years back, from what I'm seeing here, Suzuki never fixed the F/I issues? I'm still gonna' have to get a PC111 for an '07 I'm considering? Seriously??

Also, the 1k's book price seems verrry low, is it because they discontinued the model?

Anything I need to know for the 07 model? They upgraded the clutch basket prob, right?

I gotta' admit, I'm starting to have second thoughts already!

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I've never had any issues with my '07, fueling, clutch basket, etc. Bought it new. It's got about 32,000 on it now, been great.

·
Boy talks too much....
588 Posts
My brother and I both have 07's and both did pcIII and pipes. I have 28k on the clock and chudder. The seat hurts my ass :headbang: even with a buttpad and thats my next mod and we both agree that they're still the best bikes we've ever owned. Even if Suzuki does upgrade/replace the bike its going to be MUCH more expensive than any 07 you find on the market.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My '07 has no fuel issues worth fixing. It is a little lean down low, but nothing major. Mine has chudder and it has 14K on the clock. I bought mine for a lot less than what a new '09 Vee could be had for and I'm glad I got the bigger engine. It also came with some nice accessories.

I will address the chudder issue here real soon as it is an easy fix.

I'm happy with mine as I have big plans to keep this one a few years unlike most of my previous bikes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a timeline that claims the hiccup off idle was fixed for the 07 year, so that makes me feel a bit better. I liked my 05, but took a while to get the hiccup fixed, and really didn't want to NEED a PCIII. The 07 I'm considering, only has 2k miles, so should last me for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Mine got smoother and what feels like a flatter torque curve with the PC. I thought it was well worth the money, but it's not a requirement with the 07.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My '07 has some Chudder but that is really the only issue. I have not noticed any fueling issues. About 25,000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have an 07. It developed the chudder around 15000 miles and got progressively worse until I had it fixed. Mine and my wifes 06 did not run well at first so I did all the TBS the TPS and adjusted the secondary plates. All of that really did a great job of straightening out the bike. We do not have a PCIII but it may happen one day. Though it wouldn't be out of need.

·
Administrator
18,442 Posts
Get yourself a 650 instead, much fewer issues and hiccups.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
hmmm, my '07 that just hit 13,000 miles yesterday, has horrible chudder and several typical FI issues--dead spot around 3700 rpm. i still like it and will fix these problems with clutch basket mod and PC III.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Well, seems mine is an anomoly. I have an 07 Vee. Bought it from my brother who bought it new. The bike was ridden very conservatively but has a few miles on it. I acquired it at 37,000 miles. Always run on synthetic. It now has 49,000 on it and burns around 3/4 quart of synthetic in 5000 miles.

Mine had a horrible studder/cough/hiccup at around 3000 rpm. It made city riding terrible for me. During some recent maintance I had the ECU remapped at a local dealer who tuned the bike on a dyno. I was heading the PCIII route if this didn't work. Also disconnected most of the emisiions crap but left it in place for later reuse if necessary. Now the bike runs like it should. No cough. No rough idle. Much better acceleration...even for a Vee. It runs like....well a 650 with more horsepower.

Now about chudder. My clutch runs smoothly during riding, but makes unaccepatble racket when idling in neutral on the sidestand. Pull the clutch lever in and its silent. Not sure what racket its making while riding...likely the same, but I ride with ear plugs. This winter I am replacing the clutch basket with a modified one.

I would have bought it again though...even with the warts. It now will flat out scream. I had no idea what power was there I didn't tap into. I had to relearn how to ride the bike and can now use the thing under 4,000 rpms.

For shop info you can PM me. The guys were expensive but did first rate work. Best money I ever spent, and I typically do my own work, so I'm picky as heck. Unfortunaely my dyno is down for repairs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Get yourself a 650 instead, much fewer issues and hiccups.
that's actually what I was looking for, but this 1k popped up. I'm looking for a partial trade, for my Concours 14. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts! ;o)

Anyhow, the 1k owner has been looking for a C-14, saw my offer to trade, and is very interested. We haven't got together yet, but he seems pretty serious about trading.

In case the deal falls thru', I have an 08 C-14, only 3k miles, one very light drop, 2 brthrs pipe, looking for a Strom trade. Prefer 650, low miles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi donohio, if you get the Vee, you really won't regret it. The 07's are fine as they all are now. You definitely shouldn't need a PC111, however, some people like to have them anyway. But all you have to do if the bike has any fuelling issues is to set it up as per the book tps, tbs and it'll run fine. In the odd case where it won't run fine just get your dealer to flash the ecu with a new map, if it appears a bit weak on mixture, one that richens up the first third of throttle opening by 2-3% over standard and it'll be fine. If you buy secondhand you don't know what the previous owner has done with the fuelling map so after setting it up properly the map is the next suspect if it's still not right. Mine's an 08 and it doesn't have chudder, no PC111 and it's never hiccuped and pulls cleanly all the way to the red line if I insist. Great bike and the best I've ever had for reliability and comfort in all conditions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Star, and all who replied. I appreciate the input.

·
Administrator
18,442 Posts
that's actually what I was looking for, but this 1k popped up. I'm looking for a partial trade, for my Concours 14. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts! ;o)

Anyhow, the 1k owner has been looking for a C-14, saw my offer to trade, and is very interested. We haven't got together yet, but he seems pretty serious about trading.

In case the deal falls thru', I have an 08 C-14, only 3k miles, one very light drop, 2 brthrs pipe, looking for a Strom trade. Prefer 650, low miles.
Keep the C14 "duh" and buy a nice used KLR 650.....better than a Strom in many ways in my opinion, and you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep the C14 "duh" and buy a nice used KLR 650.....better than a Strom in many ways in my opinion, and you have the best of both worlds.
Why klr when you have a dr650? I'd prefer the DR, KLR's are fugly, even compared to a VStrom!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a 07 on Ebay, first time ever, Its got 5k on the clock and she rides like a dream,I have proplems with seating (bad back) and bar height, On the hwy. this morning running about 60mph til I looked down at the speedo reading 90 mph, Hot Dam !!! I love this bike, I paid 5800. plus 450 shipping, Dang fair deal I think.

·
Administrator
18,442 Posts
Why klr when you have a dr650? I'd prefer the DR, KLR's are fugly, even compared to a VStrom!
Because the 08 and up KLR can pretty much match everything the Wee can do, and MUCH MUCH better offroad. Yup I have a DR650 and love the darn thing, but I would also buy a new KLR in a heartbeat if I didn't already have it. And I will not be selling my C14, unless I were to buy another one.:yesnod:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because the 08 and up KLR can pretty much match everything the Wee can do, and MUCH MUCH better offroad. Yup I have a DR650 and love the darn thing, but I would also buy a new KLR in a heartbeat if I didn't already have it. And I will not be selling my C14, unless I were to buy another one.:yesnod:
Just noticed you're in Ohio, whereabouts? I'm about 2 miles from the In. line, so extreeeeeme NW.

The newer KLR's, what's the biggest change? All I ever hear is low on power?
I never heard if they finally fixed the doohickey?

I COULD be very tempted by a big bore KTM exc. grrrrr!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts