StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need your advise. Currently I own Wee '04 with 90k on her and extremely happy with my bike. But it's time to exchange for a newer bike especially that I'm going to cross-country and don't want to get any surprises.

Which one would you choose:
1 - 2006 with 6,000 miles for $4k (last 2 years no any riding)
2 - 2009 with 9,000 miles for $5k

both are in ideal condition.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My understanding is that there are no significant upgrades between these years, correct?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
See the yearly changes at DL650 Through the Years!

The '06 bike has a lot of down time. That would concern me. I'd rather see it with over 20,000 miles and ridden lately. Proper storage prep for a two year layover probably was not done.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Assuming the two of them are in equal technical conditions, I would take 2006. A bit lighter and shorter, a bit simpler to work on, it is also has less of the green stuff on it and generates less electricity, otherwise equal in everything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the inputs.
My head is spinning even more:confused:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here are few major points:

06 TB Synch can be done 07+ need to be done by a computer at the dealre
06 Fuel Pump Filter Bypass mod can be done 07+ have to replace with factory filter $$$
06 Side Stand Bypass and other simple mods can be done. 07+ these mods put computer into default mode and it will just die on you, like when coming to a stop in rush-hour. Dont ask how I know this one....
06 a slip on can be done with relative ease 07+ has way more cats etc and the exhaust is more complex
06 Single Spark Heads 07+ dual spark (twice the fun, twice the complexity)

I have an 07 and would love to find a low mileage 06 to replace it with just so I can work on the damn thing myself.

Oh and 07+ ABS became an option.

For RTW or such trips I would lean to the 06 for the simplicity of some of the major components.

My .02

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man! I owe you big one!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to be in very remote areas, riding to South America (from NJ to Argentina) and possibly Russia. I need simplicity and able to do most of the stuff myself.

Thanks, dude!:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts