StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello stromtroopers!
Here is my situation, hopefully somebody can give me some useful advice.
I have had my 06 V for 3 years now and it used to give me 32 MPG. I thought at the time it was a lot, but considering the age of the bike I am like the third owner... I just lived with it. The problem is that recently it started consuming way too much gas (much like a V8) 25 MPG !!!!!
Long story short, I have done everything I found on Forums and finally took it to the dealer to find the problem and fix it.
They cleaned the injectors
cleaned the whole combustion system
changed the spark plugs and air filters
Changed an air sensor that was faulty
tuned up the bike basically

Previously I had changed fuel tank cap and the air filter.

After all that, the bike still gives me only 11 km per liter. I am desperate because in the dealer they tell me there is nothing else they can do because all the parameters are as indicated in the manual and there is nothing else they can do. Imagine my frustration! Plus that was not cheap, and they basically charged me for not fixing my back.

So apparently everything that could provoke this problem has been attended, yet the consumption remains outrageous. Important to mention that besides that, the bike runs like a charm, sounds and feels perfect, especially after they did all that to it.

Anybody has an idea of what else could be happening? where to look? what to do?
Is there anything else I could check or do to solve this problem? Anything that they might have missed?

Please, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated cause I haven't been on a long trip in months because of that and I am getting very frustrated for the apparent lack of solution

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Any fuel leaks or smell of unburnt fuel in the exhausts?
Is your bike stock or do you have a power commander, TRE or similar installed to sort out the lean running at lower rpms?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And any smell of unburnt or leaking fuel?
If no unburnt fuel smells and the bike runs well aka no surging / missing, then a throttle body sync may be a possible solution.
Have you or the dealer done a TBS? 02-12 1000 TB synch with pics and write up "thanks...

Edit: Have a look at Extremelly Low MPG!!!!!!
Absolutely no unburnt fuel, leaks or smell no surging, the bike runs super smooth, lors of power. Just the mpg. I dont think they have done a tus, I will try that for sure. Thank you so much! I'll get back yo you with results.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I second the notion that instead of engine/fuel injection issues there may be some parasitic drag gobbling up your fuel economy, and the relative (to the 650) ample power of the '1000 is allowing it to go unnoticed. On a straight section of road with the engine at idle and the clutch pulled in the bike should continue to glide and not decelerate quickly. Try dressing and exercising the brake caliper pistons, flush the brake lines, lube and inspect the chain and wheel , check the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second the notion that instead of engine/fuel injection issues there may be some parasitic drag gobbling up your fuel economy, and the relative (to the 650) ample power of the '1000 is allowing it to go unnoticed. On a straight section of road with the engine at idle and the clutch pulled in the bike should continue to glide and not decelerate quickly. Try dressing and exercising the brake caliper pistons, flush the brake lines, lube and inspect the chain and wheel , check the wheel bearings.
Thank you so much. I will try that also.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I hear that a lot of gas stations have switched from selling E10 to E15. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but something to consider.
I'm skeptical. Yes, it's been discussed; however, I don't know of any implementations. It would void a lot of warranties. Do you have specific examples?

I also seriously doubt that another 5% ethanol would cause fuel economy to plummet the way the O.P.'s has.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm skeptical. Yes, it's been discussed; however, I don't know of any implementations. It would void a lot of warranties. Do you have specific examples?

I also seriously doubt that another 5% ethanol would cause fuel economy to plummet the way the O.P.'s has.
Specific examples? As in specific stations selling an E15 blend? Not offhand, but I tend to buy ethanol free from one or two local stations. I know I've seen the "may contain up to 15% ethanol" before though, though most still claim 10% as far as I can recall from filling my wife's SUV.

As for a dramatic drop in economy, I also doubt as much, but I guess the potential is there. Food for thought, little more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts