StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says - on a 2006 DL1000, are stock fork springs progressive rate springs? Ive found specific mention that the 650's are - but have not found mention that the 1000's are.

Reason I am asking is that I stumbled across a thread here where a 650 owner cut off some of the tight wound coils to increase spring rate - with great sucess This prompted my grey matter to remember many years back (1994) I was setting up a Kawasaki Concours with a sidecar - and had a Works Performance shock custom built for me - their engineer Sandy suggested I simply cut coils on my progressive (brand) springs I had to bring their rate up - which worked fantastic.

So....its a low/no cost option to increase spring rate vs buying new springs..IF the 1000's are progressive rate springs stock!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
aftermaket springs are cheap

aftermarket springs are cheap. like $74 for me Wee.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question was not what the cost to buy new was - I have already researched that. If I were to buy new, it would go with the Sonic springs most likely.

Yes - cut my fork springs. I have already researched that AND had great success on my Concours years ago. 50,000 miles tugging a sidecar rig around with the wife and kid on board should be a reasonable test ride. Right here on Stromtroopers is a very well done write up on doing exactly that WITH a professional suspension tuner having put the springs on a dyno to verify rate impact.

Back to my original question:

Does my 2006 V have progressive wound springs stock? The 650 does. I am simply trying to verify what the 1000 has.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And here is a link to the post here on doing exactly what I plan to do (once I can confirm my 1000 indeed has progressive springs.) I would just pop out to the garage and check myself, but below zero temps make that rather unattractive!

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/57659-considering-new-fork-springs-read-first.html

and keep in mind, way back when I did this on my Concours, I did it based on the recommendation of a suspension engineer at Works Performance. Its not a unsubstantiated garage hack job.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Cutting springs and replacing the cut length with a spacer increases the effective spring rate whether the springs are progressive or not. I'm pretty sure both Wee and Vee have dual rate springs rather than true progressives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts