StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this afternoon my wee was surging in 6th gear about 5,000 RPMS at 65 MPH when I tried to accelerate. If I accelerated very gently it didn't happen. The wee is a 2005 with 2,000 miles, 1,100 of which I put on in the last month.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
a 2005 with only 2000 miles? Was it sittinig around a lot before you got it or if you are the original owner, did you not ride it much when you bought it? Is the fuel fresh? Maybe a dirty fuel filter? Rust in the tank? It could be the fuel pump failing, but start with the simple stuff first...

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
2000 miles since 2005. No wonder it surges, the poor thing is somewhat comatos and retarded from lack of use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just bought the bike a couple months ago and I've run several tanks of gas through it. The story I got was the original owner got sick shortly after he bought the bike and after he passed away his family sold the bike back to the dealership while settleing the estate.

I don't think the gas is the problem. Of course, the owners manual makes no mention of the location and part number of the fuel filter, but I'll find it. I thought of trying some fuel injector cleaner as well.

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The fuel filter is in the fuel pump. For a test procedure for the DL1000 or DL650, see Fuel flow check

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the fuel pump is bad. Suzuki is certainly proud of their OEM fuel pumps. I couldn't find any info on aftermarket pumps, so I guess OEM is the only way to go. :headbang:

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That bypass looks like a good way to go.

Reading that thread leads me to believe the dealership is trying to make this more expensive than it should be, even though that may be difficult to believe. :mrgreen:

What they told me is the fuel pump needs to be replaced due to corrosion in the tank. I certainly believe there is corrosion in the tank. After all, a six year old bike with 900 miles on it had to sit for quite awhile. The price they quoted me for the new pump, installed, and sending the tank out to have the inside resealed was $1038.00. Reading that thread leads me to believe the filter in the pump could be replaced instead of the entire pump. And it should probably cost half of what they quoted me or less.

The problem has gotten worse since my initial post, but I'm pretty sure the fuel pump still works. I can hear the pump when I turn the key, and I rode the bike up there for them to look at. In fact, when I start the bike cold it runs OK for as long as I ride it. The biggest problem is now when I stop somewhere and start it back up it either has a dramatic loss of power, or sometimes won't even take off in first gear without stalling. If I shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes it does well enough to get home. The longer I wait, the better it seems to do. None of this was an issue for about the first 1,000 miles I put on the bike. I'm a new rider and took it really easy; rarely getting the rpms much over about 5k. When I starting getting on it a little harder, the problems began to surface.

I don't think I'll be buying a new fuel pump just yet. I'm not necessarily opposed to replacing the filter and having the inside of the talk resealed, since the bike only has 2300 miles on it and I'll have it for awhile yet. But if these people are trying to rip me off I'll definately take my business elsewhere.

Does it sound they are trying to take me for the price of a new pump when a new filter would fix the problem?

·
38,103 Posts
I'd put ignorance ahead of malice. The low pressure filter sock would probably need to be replaced too if it's that bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the low pressure fuel sock the same part that is listed as a "fuel strainer", part number 15420-35F01?

·
38,103 Posts
Is the low pressure fuel sock the same part that is listed as a "fuel strainer", part number 15420-35F01?
That's the part.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'd have to agree with G.W. "I'd put ignorance ahead of malice" but also it is sometimes cheaper for a shop to replace rather than repair. Also you can seal the tank yourself with POR15.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Timely thread for me. My 06 wee was doing something similar on my first real ride last Friday. At around 5500 to 6000 in 6th, bike would not accelerate smoothly uphill at an indicated 70 MPH. I was thinking maybe I was trying to hammer it too hard. I found the manual has a "riding tip" for riding uphill and so I thought maybe I was lugging the engine. It is smooth in any other scenario other than aggressive acceleration going uphill. So is it likely I have the fuel pump problem also, or do I just need to downshift?

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I ended up with what I consider a positive outcome with the dealership and I have to give credit to the info I got here.

I called them this morning and told them I couldn't swing the price right now and would be up to get the bike after work and asked about the possibility of changing the filters. The service guy called me back this afternoon and said he consulted their quality assurance manager and said they would rebuild the pump, which pretty much consists of changing the filters and a few other parts, and clean and recoat the fuel tank. He said the price for that would be $432.00, but since I recently purchased the bike from them they would pick up 50% of the cost and charge me $216.00. That's $22.00 less than the fuel filter would have cost me! I should point out the used bike warranty period is expired.

I don't know whether giving a plug by name to a commercial interest is allowed, but if anyone in the Kansas City area is interested, the dealership in question is off of U.S. 71 in Grandview. I wish they would have come up with the lower quote right off the bat instead of scaring the crap out of me, but they stood behind the sale and definately did right by me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my bike back today and its a totally different machine when it isn't starved for fuel; its alot more fun to ride when the motor will rev past 6K RPM without bucking and surging. :hurray: In the neighborhood of about 8K RPM in second or third gear I discovered the possibility I may have one those "inner hoons" I've read about. :mrgreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts