StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an aftermarket usb charger on my vstrom. It started up just fine while is was on its side stand, but as soon as I put the bike upright to ride it died. I don’t think this is related to the kickstand sensor because it does this regardless of whether is kickstand is up or down. I took off my tank (which was way more painstaking that I though) and checked the fuel pump. The pump works just fine when it wired to the battery. Im at quite a loss, any ideas?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Do you get any indications on the dash like CHEC or FI

Did you do any work near the battery, ensure the cables are tight.

Near the battery there is a black box supported on a rubber block with something like UP, this way up or this side up stamped on it.

Look for that and ensure the UP is facing up, move it around and try the bike again.

That is a tilt safety switch, it is to turn the bike off if you crash.

The stand switch only works if the motor is in gear, if you are in neutral you can forget that switch

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,397 Posts
More information please. When you say died did the motor run to a halt with electrics still on? What works?
do the gauges sweep and the fuel pump whine when you turn the key on?
The new USB port may be a red herring - but where did you wire it in?
Did you disturb the tip-over sensor at all?

Usually look where the human was last.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you get any indications on the dash like CHEC or FI

Did you do any work near the battery, ensure the cables are tight.

Near the battery there is a black box supported on a rubber block with something like UP, this way up or this side up stamped on it.

Look for that and ensure the UP is facing up, move it around and try the bike again.

That is a tilt safety switch, it is to turn the bike off if you crash.

The stand switch only works if the motor is in gear, if you are in neutral you can forget that switch
I get no indication on the dash (ie: no CHECK or FI) I will absolutely check the tilt safety switch. I hope this is the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More information please. When you say died did the motor run to a halt with electrics still on? What works?
do the gauges sweep and the fuel pump whine when you turn the key on?
The new USB port may be a red herring - but where did you wire it in?
Did you disturb the tip-over sensor at all?

Usually look where the human was last.
My apologies, I should have been more clear. The electronics stayed on but the motor cut off. It acts as if it’s run out of gas.
I wired the USB charger directly to the battery but ensured the connections are tight. I don’t believe I disturbed the tip-over sensor, but I will check in the morning and update y’all.
thank you for the quick reply

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,397 Posts
It sounds as though the fuel pump is turning off for some reason. The tip-over sensor does that.
Does it happen as you sit on the seat, pull in the clutch etc, or do anything other than hold the bike vertical?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If the TOS or the ECU shuts down the fuel system you should get a FI on the dash.

If you leave the bike on the stand will it run or did standing the bike up stall the motor and it has never run again ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the TOS or the ECU shuts down the fuel system you should get a FI on the dash.

If you leave the bike on the stand will it run or did standing the bike up stall the motor and it has never run again ?
strangely, I changed nothing and now the bike does run when upright BUT it seems to get fuel inconsistently when running. When taking off while being two-up, it also dies just about when I hit the friction zone in the clutch.
To elaborate further, I’ll be putting along around any given rpm and the bike will sputter and occasionally die out for a moment. I’m nearly positive it has to do with fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds as though the fuel pump is turning off for some reason. The tip-over sensor does that.
Does it happen as you sit on the seat, pull in the clutch etc, or do anything other than hold the bike vertical?
I just replied to Rolex saying this as well, but I saw you mentioned that sitting on it can make a difference.
strangely, I changed nothing and now the bike does run when upright BUT it seems to get fuel inconsistently when running. When taking off while being two-up, it also dies just about when I hit the friction zone in the clutch.
To elaborate further, I’ll be putting along around any given rpm and the bike will sputter and occasionally die out for a moment. I’m nearly positive it has to do with fuel.
Thank y’all again for any input, it’s greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Did you remove the tank when you fitted the USB ?

Do a fuel flow test.

You will find the instructions on this site

• Helpful
Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki KLV1000
183 Posts
Pinched fuel hose?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts