StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I need some advice from some experienced adventure riders. While I have been riding for 4 years now, it has all been slab. Not really had much opportunity to get off the road. In fact, just up to a week ago or so I was thinking about getting rid of my knobbies all together and going with some nice Pilot street tires.

Well all that changed just over the past week. I've been in touch with some local adventure riders who can show me some trails to hit. Also, I found an adventure riding rally in September that will have some opportunities to get off road on some starter routes for someone with my low skill level. So now I'm getting really excited about doing some good adventure riding! I'm not going to get the Pilot street tires after all.

So my question is this: Do I need to get my back tire replaced? I will attach some pictures for you all to look at. I am concerned that the middle portion of my tire is wearing pretty low and I won't have good grip on the off road, even if it's just a easy logging road with hard gravel.

I would appreciate any input and advice on what you think I should do. FYI - My current tire set is Shinko Trail Master 705. My front tire is looking great. I don't think it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for your help!

-John
green_v650

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
If your front is decent grab a Heidenau Scout for the back and keep the current tire as a spare.

My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
I'd say you have a good thou or two left on that Shinko. How many miles are on it...I'm guessing around 4.5 thou?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Rear tire is still adequate for what you are asking it to do. The front tire is easily twice as important as the rear for riding gravel/dirt roads. The Shinko 705 you have is an ok tire for that. For more confidence you might try a bit more aggressive front tire next time, should you find you enjoy the off road riding. The tire you have now is about as aggressive as you want for a bike that sees pavement 90%+ of the time. Shinko 705 tires are a real bargain, so if in doubt, put on a new set!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also think you can get away with that tire for a bit more. realshelby is right on the money! Get something more aggressive for the front. I ran a 705 rear through all of my Colorado rides through the passes with a couple different knobbies up front. Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I have 38,000+ miles on the bike. I ride it a lot! But again, all on slab or paved back roads. Hardly ever touched dirt or gravel, much to my shame. (hangs head low)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry- Misunderstood the earlier question - As for as how many miles are on the tires, I think about 5,000 miles, maybe a bit more.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm still running the original Trail wing rear with 12,500 km on it, it has less tread than yours but is still fine on well packed dirt, a little skittish on looser gravel. As long as you're not in mud you're good for a bit more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts