StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sure I'd read about this on this forum?
My fuel pump started to whine like a jet at anything less that half a tank. I had read somewhere that this was a sign of impending disaster and could be fixed (sometimes) by removing the pump and cleaning the filter. I have my pump out, but I don't see a filter anywhere. There is a small removable piece that looks like a PCV valve. Can I just run some injector cleaner through it on the bench?
BTW. The fuel tank's inside is spotless.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

Al

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
injector cleaner probably work ok. as far as the whine is concerned, my strom been doing that for the past 70k. still works ok for me. if it aint broke, dont fix it. g-luck with your bike and ride safe.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The usual cause of noise is the high pressure filter causing a valve noise. There hasn't been a lot of success reported in cleaning but an external bypass filter is popular. A check of the pump is at Fuel flow check and the bypass is at External Fuel Filter modification

The filter is inside part #2.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
The '05 pump is an entirely different beast from the '07 and later pump though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The usual cause of noise is the high pressure filter causing a valve noise. There hasn't been a lot of success reported in cleaning but an external bypass filter is popular. A check of the pump is at Fuel flow check and the bypass is at External Fuel Filter modification
Thanks Pat! I knew I'd seen that bypass mod somewhere, I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks also to the others who replied.

Al

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
The '05 pump is an entirely different beast from the '07 and later pump though.
I added my caveat to my post in hopes that you would confirm whether there was a difference or not.

You truly are an incredible person, Pat. Thank you again for all that you do for us here on the forum, (and in our garages!).

Barry

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I backflushed my filter in a solvent wash tank. Got a fair mount of reddish crap out and put it back together. Runs great again.

Next time it plays this trick on me, I will put a new one in or bypass it. But cleaning did work for me....I hope to never know for how long. So far 8,000 miles.

The pitch of the "whine" changed a little on mine when the filter was cleaned.

The main symptom with mine was it fell on its face like it was starving for fuel above 7,000 or so rpm. Ran wonderful below that rpm, just could not suck enough juice in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did it! Total cost 34CAD (that's about 80USD today :thumbup:).

Only re-filled the tank to about 1/4 before starting - zero whine from the tank!
Filled the tank and went for a ride. Low speed jerking, that I was blaming on the throttle bodies being out of sync, has gone. Popping in my aftermarket exhaust when backing off the throttle, has gone. Engine still revs freely to red-line in lower gears.
I'm a happy camper!!

Decided to go for the easy access, longer hose, option after talking to a local fuel injection guy who assured me it wouldn't be a problem.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Well, I did it! Total cost 34CAD (that's about 80USD today :thumbup:).
Nicely done with good photographs. Could you be talked into creating a "How To" for the forum that includes photos?

B.L.

·
38,103 Posts
It's good to see proper fuel injection rated hose clamps being used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts