StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to do some needed PM on my chain today and noticed that the rear sprocket has some major play in it. I dont think its the rubber cush drives though. Does anybody have any advice on where to start or has anybody experienced this kind of failure before?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I went to do some needed PM on my chain today and noticed that the rear sprocket has some major play in it. I dont think its the rubber cush drives though. Does anybody have any advice on where to start or has anybody experienced this kind of failure before?
I just went through that area on mine but need more info to help. Is the excessive play because of sprocket tooth wear, or chain stretch so it is loose on the sprocket teeth, or sprocket looseness on the hub mounting studs, or wheel assembly looseness because the axle is not tight, or side-to-side play of the wheel because of worn bearings? Any of these could cause more than normal play.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sprocket is loose in the hub..

:furious:Ok, The sprocket is worn but that is noy my issue. The axle and axle nut are fine. The sprocket is actually loose in the hub. It seems like the obvious answer would be the rubber (5 pieces) cush drives are worn but I think its a bearing issue. I would think that if my bike did this there would be others too.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sounds like you better take the 10 minutes to pull it apart and take a look. I would think that the play your describing would be a bearing. If you find it is your cushion rubbers then find an old inner tube and cut out pieces to put behind each one to shim it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If it is the bearing, a standard 62/32-2RS ball bearing is the right bearing, or buy the OEM bearing plus seal from the dealership. Any local bearing supply house or many auto parts stores will have or can get the 62/32 bearing. The "-2RS" part means that it is sealed to keep out water & dirt, and it has very long life grease in it.

Check the wheel bearings in the rear wheel at the same time. If they have any roughness or signs of rust, renew them. The rear wheel sealed bearings have the industrial size 6204-2RS, or get the OEM bearings plus seals, or the All Balls brand kits--these are Chinese bearings that seem to do a good job, and the price is right. The rear kit contains all three bearings.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot guys. I have new Michelins arriving on Wednesday and I will be taking the wheel off then. The wheel beraringsd are fine. Is this something I can do on my own or will I need a press to remove/install the bearing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked uo the All Balls brand bearings, 62/32-2rs. They offer 2 sizes 32x75x20 OR 32x65x17. Does anybody know which one it is?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
32x65x17 is the one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I just read in another thread that a member of this forum ordered the All Balls brand and decided against them and went back with the IOEM because he felt the All Balls was poor quality. Have any of you physicaly seen these All Balls brand?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I ordered the same wheel bearings for a rebuild last year. All Balls only had one wheel's bearings in stock, so I ordered another set from a second supplier. Both sets were of similar and acceptable quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts